Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: zouden]
    #9054501 - 10/09/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Do you guys really believe that military spending is "redistribution of wealth" of the same nature as welfare handouts, or are you playing stupid, or am I missing something?

>> No serious debater will try to argue it is not the primary function of government to protect its constituents from human predators.

> That's not my position.

Then what is your position, because I am hearing the same thing... that you are claiming that somehow welfare handouts that profit an individual are no different than military spending which protect a nation.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: Seuss]
    #9054517 - 10/09/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

When the military can't ramp down its spending after the cold war ends, then it has become de facto redistribution.  It doesn't follow the strict definition, no, but it can be viewed as such

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: Seuss]
    #9054521 - 10/09/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What's YOUR position, Mister Finger in the Till,  which finger, I might add, smells suspiciously like altar boy taint.  Hmmmmmm?

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #9054575 - 10/09/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Do you guys really believe that military spending is "redistribution of wealth" of the same nature as welfare handouts, or are you playing stupid, or am I missing something?

>> No serious debater will try to argue it is not the primary function of government to protect its constituents from human predators.

> That's not my position.

Then what is your position, because I am hearing the same thing... that you are claiming that somehow welfare handouts that profit an individual are no different than military spending which protect a nation.

No, I'm not saying there's no difference - just that the difference is not as big as you might think. On the extreme right end of the economic scale there would be no state-run military because it's an interference with the free market. As you move to the left, the government interferes more to redistribute wealth - firstly to the military, then public works, schools, research, welfare, healthcare, and, finally, further left than any country, there's complete cradle-to-grave support.
All I'm trying to say is that no one position on that line is correct. It's all a matter of opinion. You can argue your case for whatever position on that line you support, but don't say that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, or that they are advocating "redistribution of wealth" while you aren't. From an economic perspective, it's all redistribution. It just a question of how much.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9054592 - 10/09/08 04:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

> What's YOUR position

My position is in support of a very strong military that is highly trained and has the best technology that science fiction can think up.  However, I do not believe in using this military for anything except defense and in response to a direct attack, such as what was seen on 9/11.  I am annoyed by waste in the military; no bid contracts, private mercenary groups, etc.  I am also against the draft and believe in an all voluntary military.  I also support a strong national guard, at the state level, and believe the federal government should help fund/train/coordinate with state militias.  I do not believe that the federal government should be sucking up the state militia resources to perpetuate engagements across the globe.

I do not support welfare or universal health care or any other handout at the federal level.  I do support states rights to decide what they want to do in these cases, including lowering federal taxes so that states can raise state taxes to pay for these programs, should they wish.

Edit: I am also anti-UN and see it as a worthless, corrupt organization that does very little good compared to the great harm created.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #9054644 - 10/09/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I think the UN isn't entirely worthless.  Just having the forum is nice, although that is far cheaper than the other costs, monetary and otherwise.

I agree with Ron Paul and some republicans that the UN is largely and infringment on our soveirgnty, in theory.

It's impotent.

I think a good case could be made that BUsh is a war criminal... See anyone care?  Nope

The UN seems more a tool to justify action or inaction when an insande degree of consensus is reached amongst parties that almost always disagree.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: johnm214]
    #9054664 - 10/09/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

> It's impotent.

And unjust... five countries with veto power puts their own interests above the collective interests of the world.  Iran, North Korea, Israel, Syria, etc, etc, etc, who cares what they are really doing, as long as they can be used as pawns by the big five to better their position amongst each other.  It is a complete joke.

There are a few times that the UN has managed to do good, but the bad that has come out of the UN makes it hard to justify.  Impotent and corrupt.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9056208 - 10/09/08 09:52 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The UN is useful as a tool if it's members work together and to do this it requires maturity, objectivity and compromising attitudes. None of these qualities are terribly prevalent in world leaders nowadays. However I'd like to ask what it is the UN does that bothers you so much Seus? It's likely a much better arrangement than international lawlessness.

Anyway you guys are not making any compelling argument that National security is somehow different than economic security. With regards to welfare it is usually a last ditch funding to keep someone from homelessness or death. It seems pretty similar in that respect to national security. And just calling us wrong is not an argument at all you may as well be plugging your ears saying "na na na I'm not listening"

If national security apparatus is not welfare of a class of society because a service is being bought that protects the population it is actually the same as public health care.

Frankly if you believe that statewide jurisdiction should occur where federal is present then you are just passing the buck. If it happens on a state by state level it still happens. Frankly on considdering I don't think some programs should be run on a state to state level. Minimum welfare standards should probibly be held up on a federal level, because if they weren't it could cause recipients to move to states that have friendlier laws. This is not the nature of the service because it's supposed to be temporary assistance for some or permanent assistance for those with disabilities.

And obviously there's no pronounced welfare program in new york I've heard you can't hardly walk around the city without a job whacking you in the face and rent/property is so expensive there you might as well leave if you don't have one.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9064297 - 10/11/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

so can this be moved to the pub, where it might get a second life, now?

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineUSD
EUR/USD 1.3715
Male

Loc: DFW
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: truekimbo2]
    #9070988 - 10/13/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, me as President. I would be a individualist.

First on the Agenda. Land, reThink how it is Thought. We need plenty of space for the Shrooms to Grow, along with all the Food and everything. Well I would make a test, a Test to see if you still should live in the united states. This would consist of simple things, and people who should not be in a land I control, why should you stay here?

Also, ACID! We can call this: "Re-evaluating Cid Mind"    Everyone should take acid! and While they are on the 12 hour Trip, I will be standing on the big stage will million listen, and watch on tv if they can not attend the presence of my speech. While taking to them, I will just let the Acid take over and let what ever comes to mind go out the mouth. With that in mind, everyone will listen. And it would be a lot easier to control and run a country when every one has listened to your 6-12 hour speech on acid.

"when times of trouble" it would be time to Repeat--- RCM <-- with this in mind, you still should no have problems.

And if that does not work, just let everyone east abundance amounts of shrooms.

Then live life day to day.

IF you still can't make it thought. Then say "fuck the us" and leave and let the people that you were currently in control of do what ever they want to while "I" the president, will be in some other country taking some X and Cid at some Rave enjoying my life and fucking some hot girl.

Why not.

--------------------
"I Have Nothing to Prove; but Proof Itself"

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: USD]
    #9071005 - 10/13/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'll run for a dictatorship.

You do what I want you to do, when I want you to do it. If not OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

Remember vote for me! :grin:

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #9072465 - 10/13/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

pinkfloydms said:
I'll run for a dictatorship.

You do what I want you to do, when I want you to do it. If not OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

Remember vote for me! :grin:

Hey!  That's MY ticket!  Get off my ticket.  Or I'll spank you (I figure that's all it will take, nancy).

--------------------

Offlinenonwo
truth seeker
Male

Loc: southern usa
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9072471 - 10/13/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

what will the president run?

--------------------
yellow red black and white cometogether as humans and fallow the path the creater intended

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: nonwo]
    #9072483 - 10/13/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

nothing, its mainly for curiosity's sake.  To see if any shroomery members have interesting ideas about how to run the country.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Offlinenonwo
truth seeker
Male

Loc: southern usa
Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: truekimbo2]
    #9072495 - 10/13/08 06:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i think we should all just get along:)

--------------------
yellow red black and white cometogether as humans and fallow the path the creater intended

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Unofficial vote a shroomery member for president thread! (nominations) [Re: nonwo]
    #9072683 - 10/13/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You will get along quite well under my benevolent tutelage.  Or I will CUT YOUR HEAD OFF.  See, it's easy to rule when you're willing to destroy anything that makes it even the least bit poopie.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale