Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLarrythescaryrexS
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Bill Clinton: Our First Black President.
    #973508 - 10/19/02 12:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LITTLE ROCK - Bill Clinton, once famously described by author Toni Morrison as "our first black president," is being inducted into the Arkansas Black Hall of Fame as an honorary member.

Clinton will be the first non-black person recognized in the hall's 10-year history. He is being honored Saturday for his work on behalf of the black community throughout his lifetime.

"Most members of the Arkansas Black Hall of Fame have been personal friends or heroes of mine. To be included in their numbers, after a lifetime of working for equal rights and greater opportunity, is a wonderful gift," Clinton said Thursday.

Charles Stewart, the hall of fame's chairman and founder, said Clinton and black Arkansans have long had a relationship of mutual admiration.

Stewart said Clinton's dealings with the black community in Arkansas have shaped his relationships with black people around the nation and the world.

"This honor makes a lot of sense; it is this community's way of saying thank you to him for the work that he has done," Stewart said.

The group's selection committee voted in part to honor Clinton for the work he has done since he left the presidency to combat AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean, Stewart said.

The honor is also based on Clinton's efforts to appoint black people to high levels in both state and federal government, he said.

Clinton is expected to attend the Saturday night event.

Morrison made her reference to Clinton as the nation's first black president because of what many regard as his understanding of the black condition and because of his upbringing. He grew up poor and was raised for a time by a single mother.

Darren Peters, a former White House staffer during the Clinton administration, said Clinton took a number of black Arkansans, including himself, to Washington.

"During his administration as governor, as well as president, Bill Clinton provided tremendous opportunities for African-Americans through his appointments and giving African-Americans roles in nontraditional positions," said Peters, who now works for Entergy Arkansas.

"He didn't give handouts but he helped provide the opportunities to give African-Americans exposure," Peters said.

The honorary induction "is not in any way an effort to say that Clinton is an African-American . . . I think it's just a way to honor someone whom African-Americans respect and hold in high regard," he said.

Also slated for induction this year, among others, is Memphis R&B and gospel singer Al Green and Monroe County, Ark., native Al Bell, one of the driving forces behind Stax Rec ords.

Former inductees to the hall include poet Maya Angelou; Ebony and Jet magazine publisher John H. Johnson Jr. and former U.S. surgeon general Dr. Joycelyn Elders, who was appointed by Clinton.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #975142 - 10/19/02 06:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Man.....i dont know what to say to that.....other than what is this world coming to. or where did it go rather.

de-=-

Invisibleachtung
Stranger
    #976274 - 10/20/02 04:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

he was the first president to know what jazz was and he gave plenty of token positions to black people and that makes him the first black president- what about the fact that he was a wealthy southern businessman?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #976428 - 10/20/02 08:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Clinton, pure and simple, was and still is, a scumbag.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #976737 - 10/20/02 12:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Scumbag or not (and that's just opinion), he was far preferable to Bush.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: mr_kite]
    #976832 - 10/20/02 01:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No, no he wasn't. He was an embarrassment to this country and to the office of President. He lied, cheated, stole, raped and used the IRS to get revenge on others.

Not to mention he wasted a perfectly good cigar.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #977834 - 10/20/02 09:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i agree he was a shitty person, i dont even know what he did in office because everything was so focused on his personal life. we need a woman in office.

Offlinepimpadelic
enthusiast
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: MsPacMan]
    #977924 - 10/20/02 10:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I used to think CLinton sucked a big one until Bush was elected and I've come to realize that he wasn't all that bad of a president. And to all the people that bring up him and monica, If you were the president you would probably be bangin a couple of interns too, I know I would. And i'm pretty sure he isn't the only president that has Cheated on the first lady. He is just the only one to get caught.

Offlinepimpadelic
enthusiast
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
    #977947 - 10/20/02 10:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

He lied, cheated, stole, raped

And Bush doesn't lie, cheat or steal. And let me ask a question, who did he rape?The only thing I can agree with you about is wastin a good cigar.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: pimpadelic]
    #978826 - 10/21/02 05:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Juanita Broaddrick

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #981924 - 10/22/02 06:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

But look at Bush! The man is a fool. How can you give so much power and authority to such a man?

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #983474 - 10/22/02 05:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Clinton did a lot of good things, and a couple bad things. I think if you compare him to the rest of the US presidents, he was one of the best our country has seen. The Bush family/administration is one of the most corrupt crime syndicates in the world.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: Remy]
    #983672 - 10/22/02 05:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, Clinton did a bang up job in Waco. We need more government crackdowns on unpopular religious sects. The best way to 'save the children' is by incinerating them alive with their parents.

Yes, Clinton did a wonderful job bombing that pharmaceutical factory in the Sudan. We need more million dollar munitions dumped on the heads of third world people.

Yes, Clinton did a wonderful job of sending the IRS after political opponents. We need more people following the government line, and he set an excellent example which should be applied to all who dissent against federal government policies.

Yes, Clinton did a superb job grabbing confidential FBI files in order to get the dirt on anyone who could possibly thwart his agenda. Blackmail is a time honored tradition in all good governments.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (10/22/02 05:57 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: Evolving]
    #983923 - 10/22/02 06:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

And Clinton did a wonderful job letting China off make of with our nuclear secrets.

Bravo Evolving, not for making the list, but for showing restraint and not going on and on. The list of Clinton fuck ups is virtually endless.

For those who think Bush is a dumb as because he uses words that aren't quite right or because you don't agree with him... foolish. You don't get to be Governor or President by being stupid.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (10/22/02 06:55 PM)

OfflineAzWeThinkWeIz420
just an illusion

Loc: nor-cal
    #987070 - 10/23/02 05:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

clinton is a fucking g, althought he should have inhaled

Offlinedrugcheese
journeyman

Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: AzWeThinkWeIz420]
    #994182 - 10/26/02 03:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I especially liked that time that he ignored Sudan when they offered bin Laden on a silver platter. Or maybe that time he got North Korea to promise they wouldn't develop nuclear weapons. That rocked.

Offlinekidaihuan
First Growery Ban
 User Gallery

Loc: Shanghai, China
Re: Bill Clinton: Our First Black President. [Re: drugcheese]
    #11129934 - 09/26/09 07:24 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Bump because this article's title is relevant.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion