Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Seuss]
    #8300007 - 04/18/08 08:14 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I'd be pretty fucking irate if I got a DUI on a bicycle.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: circularvortex]
    #8300033 - 04/18/08 08:30 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Yea' I'd probably end up in jail for fucking with the cop.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: niteowl]
    #8300153 - 04/18/08 09:21 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think the issue is an ability to determine when someone is under the acute influence.

Without this you get into grey areas. What if the pilot smoked at midnight and had a 6:00 am flight? What about 10 pm.? etc. etc.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleBandersnatch
Frumious

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: badchad]
    #8300921 - 04/18/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Shit, even if someone is stoned and not visibly impaired, I don't think it's a problem. I know people who driver better stoned than sober because they're more cautious. There's never any "I FROGOT WICH 1 IS TEH BRAKE LOL" stuff.

I rarely will smoke cigarettes so when I DO smoke them, I get really strong buzz, like a high, off them that lasts for a while. I'll get jittery and have erratic thinking, even short term memory loss... And for sure without the sense of calm and cautiousness (read "paranoia") that comes with marijuana.

Should pilots not be able to smoke tobacco off duty too?

Another interesting thing is it's not like they're being drug tested for say, LSD, or Psilocybin. They could have tripped last night when off duty and come in the next day with a psychedelic afterglow.

People have a ridiculous vendetta against such a useful and relatively harmless plant.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Bandersnatch]
    #8301205 - 04/18/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

ITS THA DEVIL'S WEED :crankey:

:grin:

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Learyfan]
    #8301213 - 04/18/08 02:30 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If they work for themselves then, I don't see why not. Otherwise, the owner of the heli should be able to decide who does or doesn't fly his/her plane for whatever reasons he/she chooses.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: circularvortex]
    #8301772 - 04/18/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

circularvortex said:

i know a guy who got one on a riding mower. :rofl2:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: badchad]
    #8301976 - 04/18/08 05:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

> I think the issue is an ability to determine when someone is under the acute influence.

Close; it is an inability to quantify intoxication. (such as what a breathalizer does with alcohol intoxication) It is pretty easy to determine if somebody is intoxicated, but it is very difficult to prove the exact level of intoxication for every possible substance. Our laws are geared towards defined absolutes, such as blood alcohol levels. It would make much more sense to base the rules upon some form of skills test with the DUI applying irregardless of the substance being consumed, be it prescription or recreational. Blame the lawyers turned lawmakers for ensuring job security for those in their trade at the expense of the population as a whole.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8301990 - 04/18/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

circularvortex said:

why did he ride his mower off his property
or r u joking
cuz dumb shit like this does happen lol

--------------------

InvisibleBandersnatch
Frumious

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Seuss]
    #8301996 - 04/18/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

The thing with that, however, is that some people cannot pass a roadside test sober. Anxiety can have a major effect on people in those kind of situations.

If I failed a skills test in that situation there would be a possibility of me receiving a DUI regardless of my use of a substance or not.

I believe that is why there are legal quantity measurements involved. :ohwell:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Coaster]
    #8302034 - 04/18/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

circularvortex said:

why did he ride his mower off his property
or r u joking
cuz dumb shit like this does happen lol

not joking, he rode down the street to a neighbors house, 4 houses down, on a little side street. had a beer in hand, cop stopped him, you can guess the rest.

:nonono:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Learyfan]
    #8302041 - 04/18/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty?

that depends, are they the same pilots flying over my property
twice a day looking to score a pot field? 'cuz I feel they should
buy the pot or grow their own and leave mine alone!

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: Bandersnatch]
    #8302051 - 04/18/08 06:26 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Bandersnatch said:
The thing with that, however, is that some people cannot pass a roadside test sober. Anxiety can have a major effect on people in those kind of situations.

If I failed a skills test in that situation there would be a possibility of me receiving a DUI regardless of my use of a substance or not.

I believe that is why there are legal quantity measurements involved. :ohwell:

i dont know about any of you, but i could not say the ABC's backwards if my life depended on it.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #8302331 - 04/18/08 07:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

well i think the issue is the smokin not the flyin cause smokin in general implies that you'd smoke whenever(you didnt stop for the test) and with any drug people use they get used to it and seem to be more cautious so hell yea theyd end up smokin before a flight, but the thing is that jus sounds exciting

hahahahaha chop chop chop hahahahah

i mean i cant smoke weed at work but its implied now(lol) so i just keep it to my ciggerette breaks if neccesary cut backs are word everything isnt writtin in stone jus give it time

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8302364 - 04/18/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

If people can't handle the stress of a roadside test, then they probably can't handle the stress of driving and shouldn't be on the road anyway. Besides, there are several metrics, such as pupil size and jittery eye movements that aren't influenced by stress.

In the borderline cases, we have cameras and we have juries. I'll trust a jury of peers to determine intoxication over any absolute percentage of a substance in the body. Everybody is different. A jury can judge each case individually where a hard number cannot.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8302367 - 04/18/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

see "Stoners" are weird because most of them i know..start out smoking weed like "occasionally", then it moves to "often" and finally its "im high from the second i wake up till i goto sleep". so i dont think id want a "Stoner" pilot. i wouldnt begrudge a guy for smoking occasionally....but if u let him smoke, how could u make sure he kept it to occasionally? there are some jobs where there is too much at stake to let a guy do drugs. at least with alcohol you can smell it, u notice the slurred speech, and there is a solid test to see if someone is exactly at that moment "drunk".

fuck a drugee pilot. can you imagine a cokehead pilot? or an opiate pilot? or shit how about a fucking benzo addict pilot? benzo guy would fly his sleepy ass into a building

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #8302429 - 04/18/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

> at least with alcohol you can smell it ... fuck a drugee pilot. can you imagine a cokehead pilot? or an opiate pilot?

An odd double standard. So it is appearance rather than impairment that concerns you? Personally, I don't care what drugs a pilot, surgeon, etc, does in their off time... as long as their drug use doesn't impact their job performance, be the drug alcohol or heroin or anything in between.

I will agree with you on "there are some jobs where there is too much at stake to let a guy do drugs" and have no problem with employers being allowed to refuse employment based upon drug use (including alcohol, tobacco, and prescription drugs). A responsible adult should be allowed to make the choice, work here and stay clean or work someplace else and feed my vice. In the case of some prescriptions... sorry, but life isn't always fair.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Should helicopter pilots be able to smoke weed when off duty? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #8302437 - 04/18/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, you just articulated some of my concerns better than I did. There's really a LOT at stake. That's why I wonder if maybe we shouldn't let people who have jobs like that do drugs ever.

I hope my friend doesn't fail his test. That would devastate him. He says that he's going to only smoke very rarely from now on.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds