Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization?
    #8102567 -

How long does it take for a spore syringe needle to cool down to a temperature that wont harm spores after flame sterilization? I know its not necessary to wait that long for it to cool because the inoculate will cool it down but I dont want to risk killing any spores. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: FallenAngel]
    #8102578 -

cools immediately when you put it in a folded paper towel with rubbing alcohol in it like you are supposed to do..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: FallenAngel]
    #8102580 -

probably a while. Why don't you just wipe it down with a alcohol soaked paper towel?


--------------------
NO EGO WBS TEK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: AndhesEcuador]
    #8102583 -

Quote:
cools immediately when you put it in a folded paper towel with rubbing alcohol in it like you are supposed to do..




--------------------


I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: FallenAngel]
    #8102591 -

Flame the needle, then insert it in the jar BEFORE it gets a chance to cool. The first drop of water that comes through will cool it down, then your fine. You'll only kill a few spores so don't worry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: Telektonon]
    #8102635 -

Telektonon said:
Flame the needle, then insert it in the jar BEFORE it gets a chance to cool. The first drop of water that comes through will cool it down, then your fine. You'll only kill a few spores so don't worry.



Never thought about that...


--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: Civ]
    #8102726 -

Seriously, the amount of spores you're going to kill in the first two drops of solution coming that syringe is nothing compared to what you'll be putting in after the needle cools down.

Don't worry so much, not every single spore has to survive for you to be successful.


--------------------
This post approved by:


Premedman1 said:
:lol: I just shat my pants.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: Skeeblix]
    #8103049 -

~From what I've read I would follow the suggestion to stick it in the jar while it is hot; again the amount of spores you may kill is insignificant....alcohol is a sanitizer, NOT a sterilizer. ~Pixie~


--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: Psuper]
    #8103202 -

the only downfall to that is melting your inoc holes instead of puncturing them (assuming you are using self healing ports)... that would be a no no. 

cake holes should work fine that way tho. :thumbup:

faht

Edited by fahtster (03/04/08 08:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: fahtster]
    #8103265 -

I just squirt a drop or two out of the needle while still red hot, and then stick through the jar holes. It seems silly to flame sterilize, and then touch the needle to anything before using.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8103340 -

RogerRabbit said:
I just squirt a drop or two out of the needle while still red hot, and then stick through the jar holes. It seems silly to flame sterilize, and then touch the needle to anything before using.
RR



I have followed the above advice for some time now and have been extremely successfull. As a matter of fact, this last set of jars were 100% contaminant free. That is a first for me! I usually have at least One jar that goes bad.


--------------------


AMU Q&A thread.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #8103650 -

Once I flame, I wipe with %91 alcohol to get off that black chared shit.


--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.


Download PSX ISOs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #8103895 -

Ditto

Quote:
Quote:
RogerRabbit said:
I just squirt a drop or two out of the needle while still red hot, and then stick through the jar holes. It seems silly to flame sterilize, and then touch the needle to anything before using.
RR



I have followed the above advice for some time now and have been extremely successfull. As a matter of fact, this last set of jars were 100% contaminant free. That is a first for me! I usually have at least One jar that goes bad.




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: chucklehead]
    #8103913 -

Oh except I very rarely have any jars go bad, assuming my syringe is good.  That of course depends largely on my LC.  Anyway, do what RR said and don't sweat killing a few spores.  You won't miss them.  Though if the point of your notion is to save money on innoculent, then I suggest investigating LC.  Some say it's not worth the effort.  I however am a HUGE fan of LC.  Study up on LC and you'll never worry about killing a few spores again. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: chucklehead]
    #8103922 -

I take a cap full of alcohol and put it in front of my work area. As soon as the needle turns red i take it off the flame and dip it in the cap of alcohol, then inoculate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: large_dose]
    #8104659 -

i flame and stick it straight into a pf jar when red hot. but thats only on an untaped pf jar.

ive even done it to polyfil.(my grain jars). it burns it a bit but it dont affect the filter.

havent tried it with any other type of silicon or anything else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: fahtster]
    #8104769 -

FallenAngel said:
How long does it take for a spore syringe needle to cool down to a temperature that wont harm spores after flame sterilization? I know its not necessary to wait that long for it to cool because the inoculate will cool it down but I dont want to risk killing any spores. Thanks.



RogerRabbit said:
I just squirt a drop or two out of the needle while still red hot, and then stick through the jar holes.  It seems silly to flame sterilize, and then touch the needle to anything before using.
RR



This is the way I learned to do it and the way I always have. It's never been the reason for a failure :shrug:

I suggest you listen to RR, he is a Golden God :wink:

fahtster said:
the only downfall to that is melting your inoc holes instead of puncturing them (assuming you are using self healing ports)... that would be a no no. 

cake holes should work fine that way tho. :thumbup:

faht



When you do this you will find it more difficult to reuse syringes/LuerLocks

Peace, FX

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: FallenAngel]
    #8104980 -

Quote:
How long does it take for a spore syringe needle to cool down to a temperature that wont harm spores after flame sterilization?



I wipe my needle with an alcohol soaked paper-towel/napkin right after flaming the needle to remove any carbon deposits and to keep any contaminates from falling onto the needle and to cool down the needle prior to insertion. Why take any unnecessary risks.

That's how I do it and it never has failed me yet. I would hate to know that my jars contaminated because I didn't wipe my needle after flaming with the alcohol soaked towel, just because a contaminate fell onto the needle during me moving it from the flame to the jar. Not to mention the black carbon deposits(if using a lighter instead of an alcohol lamp) that leave a black spot in the polyfill.(for noobs, this could be mistaken for a contaminate later down the colonization process) Also, I use the alcohol soaked paper-towel as a shield to protect the polyfill(keeping contams from falling on it) during inoculations.


Of course, I do open-air inoculations on my kitchen counter-top too;)

But, that's just me.


Doc


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: doc34]
    #8105114 -

i feel ya doc. i think we agree on a lot on this site. at least do shit the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Time it Takes Needle to Cool after Flame Sterilization? [Re: doc34]
    #15333504 -

doc34 said:
Quote:
How long does it take for a spore syringe needle to cool down to a temperature that wont harm spores after flame sterilization?



I wipe my needle with an alcohol soaked paper-towel/napkin right after flaming the needle to remove any carbon deposits and to keep any contaminates from falling onto the needle and to cool down the needle prior to insertion. Why take any unnecessary risks.

That's how I do it and it never has failed me yet. I would hate to know that my jars contaminated because I didn't wipe my needle after flaming with the alcohol soaked towel, just because a contaminate fell onto the needle during me moving it from the flame to the jar. Not to mention the black carbon deposits(if using a lighter instead of an alcohol lamp) that leave a black spot in the polyfill.(for noobs, this could be mistaken for a contaminate later down the colonization process) Also, I use the alcohol soaked paper-towel as a shield to protect the polyfill(keeping contams from falling on it) during inoculations.


Of course, I do open-air inoculations on my kitchen counter-top too;)

But, that's just me.


Doc



When I wipe the needle I use sterile alcohol wipes the ones that come in indivual packages. I mean how sterile are paper towels you just never know that could be a source of contams. I dont always wipe the needle though so I dont know I have done it both ways wiped and while it was still hot.


--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: How long needles take to cool? Mycelium5150 994 8 06/17/00 05:57 PM
by Anonymous
* How do you sterilize a used syringe? dentedshrooms 942 9 01/03/03 01:25 AM
by Numba9
* flaming needles archnut 1,169 2 05/20/02 10:30 AM
by baraka
* Sterilization ChiefThunderbong 813 5 11/04/02 07:48 PM
by cheifdog24
* Re: Alcohol 80% better than 96%!!
( 1 2 all )
paddoholland 5,764 25 03/15/01 09:40 PM
by Shroomzilla
* Re: sterilization w/rubbing alcohol on your syringe Anonymous 2,253 5 01/11/00 05:44 PM
by AnubisRonin
* Post deleted by Moe Howard Anonymous 581 2 10/08/02 11:12 AM
by StS
* Sterilization Question Infadel 2,220 9 10/15/01 12:28 PM
by blackout

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
8,513 topic views. 10 members, 231 guests and 118 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.