Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium
    #8068079 - 02/25/08 10:06 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So I have a tupperware full of myceliated cardboard and a few chips. What are some of your favorite/best ways to encourage the growth of this stuff. It seems to have stalled and some of the mycelium is even fading out/dying. Help me save my mycelium...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: b3jamboree]
    #8068237 - 02/25/08 11:21 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

b3jamboree said:
So I have a tupperware full of myceliated cardboard and a few chips. What are some of your favorite/best ways to encourage the growth of this stuff. It seems to have stalled and some of the mycelium is even fading out/dying. Help me save my mycelium...

transfer to agar, isolate, inoculate, spawn, fruit, rejoice!

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: Neobean]
    #8068847 - 02/25/08 03:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Cardboard sucks for mushrooms. It's an 'OK' method to get the mycelium started, but that's about it. I'll move this to cultivation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium (moved) [Re: b3jamboree]
    #8068849 - 02/25/08 03:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Off topic in advanced mycology. Moved to cultivation.

Offlineb3jamboree
Male

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8069159 - 02/25/08 04:47 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, cardboard does suck. I'm learning this the hard way...

What I've done now is started a few jars of birdseed and a few jars of BRF and threw in pieces of myceliated cardboard and chips. I realize chances of contamination are near 100%, so the plan is to isloate mycelium as quickly as possible and try growing it out on sawdust supplemented with wheat bran and gypsum per Stamet's formula.

I'll keep ya posted...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium (moved) [Re: b3jamboree]
    #8069188 - 02/25/08 04:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't have a completely sterile culture, skip the wheat bran in the sawdust. It will contaminate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineb3jamboree
Male

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8078690 - 02/27/08 07:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, so I read that I should let my substrate completely dry out before I rehydrate it...

Currently I have my cardboard/woodchip mix in treys with just a piece of paper bag over them to keep it dark and somewhat hydrated. I mist it usually once a day, sometimes every other.

Did this person say to let them dry out as a way to prevent contamination? Or does it help the mycelium in other ways?

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8079495 - 02/27/08 10:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Cardboard sucks for mushrooms. It's an 'OK' method to get the mycelium started, but that's about it. I'll move this to cultivation.
RR

I have been saying that cardboard sucks for years and now you are going to get all the credit.

cardboard does not give the mycelium enough energy to rapidly colonize other materials.
Grain is ideal. If you lack the skills to get what you have going on agar and then to grain you can try to shred the colonized cardboard and mix it with boiled wood chips. I always boil wood chips that will be used for indoor colonization because they seem to contam otherwise.

I use scotts nature scape's colored mulch and it works excellent. Wal mart has some cheap bags of bbq smoking chips. These are less expensive than the ones used for smoking. They are 2 bucks a bag compared to 4 for the other ones.

Here is just a little tub of those scotts wood chips colonized with some like ps cyanescens

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlineb3jamboree
Male

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: tahoe]
    #8080549 - 02/28/08 07:44 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've got access to as many trees as I can cut down.. At the moment I have a birch and an aspen felled that I've been chiping away at for my shitakes and my cyanescens. I have been using mostly birch, but I read in GGMM last night that aspen is ideal since it is a fast rotting wood. I thought birch was the fastest rotting of all, but it listed aspen and not birch...

I just ordered some agar for another project and am going to try to give it a shot with the cyans too...

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: b3jamboree] * 1
    #8082409 - 02/28/08 05:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hey... cardboard's ok, to start out psilocybe cyanescens, but you need to get some chips. The best matrix is coarse ground alder sawdust mixed with alder chips. You can buy alder chips online for about $2.00 a pound including shipping.

I'm currently wintering my psilocybe cyanescens (some of the mycelium) in two plastic window boxes in the cellar. They each have about 2.5 gallons of a layered matrix. On the bottom is plain soil from the garden next to the beds. On top of that I layered some of the mycelium matrix, then some shroom bases sandwiched in cardboard, with more chips on top.

Although I've heard (for example in Stamet's book) that plain pine chips aren't really good, I have found in my experience that psilocybe cyanescens mycelium kicks ass in cheap ($3.50 for a 40-lb bag) generic pine mulch. This is in the Eastern U.S., so I don't have any idea of what kind of pine it is. I've tried untreated aspen bedding and it didn't really work all that well.

Anyway, I apologize for the wind bag answer. But to summarize, cardboard's good to start the mycelium by placing mycelium/shroom bases between the cardboard. Prepare the cardboard ahead of time by soaking it for a couple days. Keep it moist. When the cardboard gets fairly covered, peel the sandwiches apart and place the mycelium covered side of the cardboard face up. Then lay some wood chips/sawdust matrix on top of that. I think the ideal would be alder mulch, but pine may work (depends on what kind of pine grows in your part of the country.) Once the mycelium starts getting on the chips, just keep adding more and more and keep it moist.

I haven't posted in quite a while and go through periods of paranoia but I'm coming up on my third year with a Sacred Patch in my backyard in the Eastern US, three thousand miles from the origin of these shrooms (Humboldt Dunes, Samoa North Spit, California), and they are tough, fantastic shrooms. In the wintertime I bring in some mycelium to ensure its survival, but the majority stays out side, covered with fresh chips and cardboard weighted down with concrete blocks. This gets covered with snow and keeps it alive when the temp is down below zero.

I also don't worry much about sterility. If you're going from wild mycelium, all it needs is water, food, a little bit of air, some light, and a temperature around 60 degrees for growth.

Good luck.

Edited by BobHumboldt (02/28/08 05:19 PM)

Offlineb3jamboree
Male

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #8083985 - 02/28/08 10:30 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

No, thanks alot for the long answer. I appreciate anyone elses experiences. I'm really not seeing much growth in it so I decided to get a good piece of myc, throw is on some agar and start a grain culture. I am trying to generate as much as I can before spring so I can inoculate some outdoor beds.

My myc has died off so much by now that just straight woodchips and cardboard aren't going to cut it for the amount of mycelium I desire.

OfflineDeathjello
StrangerDanger
Male

Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: b3jamboree]
    #15491733 - 12/09/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have had success with this method and have managed to lower my contamination rates to almost zero. I just moved and am starting a batch next week so I will have pictures soon.

Step 1.- LC to Agar ( I use MEA)
          - 3 generations and you have yourself a good monoculture
Step 2- Transfer your choice mono and transfer it to sterilized grain

Step 3 - Take colonized grain (rye is best for this one because you can spread it) and transfer is to pasteurized cardboard. I lay the pasteurized cardboard down with the grain filling the corrugate sandwiching each later so that the corrugate is touching the grain. Cardboard is only an intermediate spawn/substrate. The mycelium will start digesting the cardboard cellulose and leave the grain carbs for reserve. This is where most people find cardboard fails. The available cellulose is insufficient for the mycelium to maintain growth so once its about 50-60% colonized you then transfer it to your alder chips.

Step 4- I then PASTEURIZE the alder chips. I take may cardboard/rye sandwiches and lay them on the bottom of my tub then I pour the chips over them. Moisture content should be about 60-70%.

Step 5 - Once colonized place it in the ground under a tree. Cover the top with mulch,leaves, dirt, dirt+grass seed and when the time is right you should have some beautiful mushrooms.

OfflineMati
Stranger
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: Deathjello]
    #24820963 - 12/02/17 10:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Hey.
My last post showed me as a "stranger", something I intend to change. Since I received a great deal of information from this treasure chest and the expertise of all you guys, I decided to give back a little something and share with you my recent Ps. cyanescens project.

The azurescens mycelium I brought back from Amsterdam in August takes ages to colonise and getting ready for transfer, so I ordered a 400ml box of cyanescens mycelium from a trustworthy supplier. Two weeks ago I spread it in a wooden box that previously contained some oranges along with beech and birch chips and some pieces of spruce from another box. This is now well colonised and today I soaked some more beech chips and spruce sawdust. Tomorrow I plan to split the mycelium into four boxes that hopefully will become the basis for some outdoor patches next spring.

Edited by Mati (12/03/17 02:14 AM)

OfflineMati
Stranger
Re: growing out my psilocybe cyanescen mycelium [Re: Mati]
    #24822877 - 12/03/17 02:07 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It is done :smile:
The chips were well colonised underneath the spruce pieces.

The initial box I used had some mould growing at the sides and to prevent mould growth this time, I wiped down the new boxes with bleech before mycelium transfer. Apart from that I didn't pay too much attention to sterile procedures.

Now the boxes are sitting at room temperature.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom