Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Why fear having your ideas examined? [Re: Love Cap]
    #7888310 - 01/16/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

One can only make one's self sound dumb such as when using the incorrect word.

'Respectively' means exactly what I stated and has nothing to do with being sensitive to the other poster's feelings.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLove Cap
Wanderer
Female

Loc: somewhere in the plains
Re: Why fear having your ideas examined? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7888316 - 01/16/08 01:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

not exactly.

respectively

1. In a relative manner; often used in lists, to clearly indicate that two (or more) separate lists correspond to each other, in terms of order.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Why fear having your ideas examined? [Re: Love Cap]
    #7888357 - 01/16/08 02:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

So where does the 'being a bitch' part come into play?

--------------------

Offlinecrumblebum
The Guy Who's Really Bad At Sex

#7888419 - 01/16/08 02:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

While it's true that we grow and mature, we usually do so by choosing an idea and following it to it's conclusion, or a set of ideas, usually provided by our culture in one way or another.

It's that very process of growth and maturation that makes it difficult to examine ideas. If we build things in a foundational fashion, a threat to one of the elements of the foundation (an idea) threatens everything built on it as a foundation.

Money, for example, is a bad idea, in my opinion. But for the life of me, I can envision a society that would function very long without it, because I've been immersed in a society that revolves around it and couldn't survive without it. If the whole of society really, really examined the concept of money, we'd be rationally obliged to abandon it, which could subsequently lead to the society falling apart.

Might something better emerge because of it? Yes, but there'd be a lot of fires, riots, and dead bodies inbetween here and there.

Switching from the macrocosm to the microcosm, if you've spent the last twenty years of your life A. doing charity work B. making money, then it's psychologically dangerous for you to examine in too much detail whether A. it really does any good to help others or B. money is really worth it. These are what spawn midlife crises and mental breakdowns.

--------------------

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
    #7888506 - 01/16/08 02:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe she meant 'respectfully'

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

Edited by ReoSpeedwagon153 (01/16/08 03:27 PM)

OfflineAhimsa
µdose
Male

#7888529 - 01/16/08 02:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe i depend too much upon my ideas.
Because i only have a few and i need them as they are.
To change them would be too radical a thing.

That could be a reason why to fear having your ideas examined i think.

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Why fear having your ideas examined? [Re: crumblebum]
    #7888551 - 01/16/08 03:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:

It's that very process of growth and maturation that makes it difficult to examine ideas. If we build things in a foundational fashion, a threat to one of the elements of the foundation (an idea) threatens everything built on it as a foundation.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. This would go to building your foundation on sand vs. stone. If a person doesn't examine what they are building their life upon how would they know if their foundation could withstand the storms of life?

In keeping with this analogy even builders can skillfully remove parts of a foundation that have deteriorated without causing the whole structure to fall.

--------------------

OfflineLove Cap
Wanderer
Female

Loc: somewhere in the plains
    #7889641 - 01/16/08 06:45 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well, instead of actually sharing ideas with the person... going the route of trying to act like your ideas are superior; to me, that is 'being a bitch' about it. in other words, immature.

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
    #7890096 - 01/16/08 08:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

did you know I used to be a treasure troll?

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Why fear having your head examined? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7890266 - 01/16/08 08:46 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

:crazy:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinecrumblebum
The Guy Who's Really Bad At Sex

Re: Why fear having your ideas examined? [Re: mushbaby]
    #7890563 - 01/16/08 09:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Within the foundationalism model, as you said, some skilled builders can rebuild screwed up foundations, and less skilled builders will destroy the building. However, the strength of these blocks is measured not by their truth, but by how strongly you can believe them. What is truth, after all? Obviously it helps to hold to ideas that aren't aggressively wethered by your community or by the physical world, but not really by truth, per se. If you want to believe that an invisible being in the sky split itself into three entities and killed it's child/self to absorb all the badness in the world and then got self same son back, it helps if everyone else believes likewise. And it's a damned handy thing to be able to believe! It answers a lot of good questions. Why am I here? To make an eternal parent figure happy. How do I do that? Well, wing it mostly, and just apologize to this one guy frequently, and everything will be fine. I know I say this in a format that makes it seem like I'm mocking it, but I really just mean to provide contrast. I bow to a little elephant headed guy, and give pennies to his aunt. As a phil major, I'm one of like, 20, at a college of 8,000, alongside about 10 religous studies majors. And that's fine. There are cases of just genuinely dumb people, and then there are people who just don't feel like making an issue of the eternal and the real meaning of truth and the true root of happiness and the ignore feature on the Shoomery forums. Instead, they figure out what dosage of antibiotics I need to not die. Or how much butter to use when cooking (hint: it's a lot).

I still fall back on the J/P function thing, basically. Js have the ability to set down a foundation and believe it strongly, and so build a more consise and purposeful structure, and Ps can entertain a number of ideas but have trouble dedicating themselves to a particular one.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds