Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

The "Facing Unresolved Fear" Thread
    #3159445 - 09/21/04 01:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think we live with a certain amount of underlying fear which we learn coping mechanisms to deal with those fears, yet often never resolve them as long as we don?t face them.

A personal example would be my separation of past religious fear, the fear of questioning that ?Jesus was the son of God?. I developed my own ideas on life, yet because questioning that ?Jesus was the son of God sent down and died for our sins? means eternal damnation, I had a hard time letting go of it. During a trip I meditated and confronted my fear, and got over it by realizing that the only reason for believing in it was fear, and that I didn?t want to live my life in irrational fear. This managed to allow me to get over it and grow.

So here?s my idea for a thread which we can all participate in, and hopefully use to grow an understanding of ourselves and the world we live in. Let?s discuss our fears and what we use to deal with them, and maybe come up with more rational answers to those fears.

I?m going to type mine up to start with, but I just wanted to make it a separate post so that the first post only explained the idea I?m talking about for this thread, and not get into it too quickly. So the idea is to explain your fears, why you fear them, and let everyone give feedback to resolve or understand them better.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The "Facing Unresolved Fear" Thread [Re: Twirling]
    #3159449 - 09/21/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My biggest fear is the amount of painful situations people are in day in and day out. There are a large number of people who live in abusive conditions and seem helpless to be able to get out of them. There?s oppression in many governments where simply speaking ideas is likely to get you locked up or shot. A lot of places also don?t have access to basic nourishment or clean drinking water.

I think people typically deal with this by not associating themselves with people in those conditions, and that?s probably partly what I did growing up. We?re given the guarantee of being ?American? and living in a prosperous country, but even in this country those conditions exist. My outlook on life at this point is that we?re all connected and apart of each other, so I feel a strong sense of empathy, but also helplessness in changing those conditions.

So what guarantee do we that we won?t end up in those situations in our next existence? None really, and traditional religions give the answer of karma, heaven & hell, but it seems as if hell already exists on Earth for some people. So besides just doing the best we can as individuals or groups to help those people in those situations, how do we not know if we?ll be born into the next Nazi Germany, or with abusive parents without any support? I?ve experienced my own pain in life, of course, but I was able to grow from it, but that wouldn?t have really been possible if I didn?t have enough opportunities and caring people to help me. I personally feel extremely optamistic about the future of our existance as a whole, but at the sametime the thing I fear is that there is no guarentee of identity or that we won't be born into an extremely painful or hopeless situation.

Does that make sense?

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3159631 - 09/21/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It takes more courage to admit when you are wrong.

You have done well :thumbup:

>>>governments where simply speaking ideas is likely to get you locked up or shot

If I spoke any of my ideas the government would oppose me.  Indeed.

Something shrooms taught me is life is actually meaningless, accept this as your biggest fear and then choose to get on with life and to make yourself happy within that life.

As humans we naturally try to understand everything, this result in small boxes of information being created, answers for everything.  Just ask Swami he has the answer for everything :lol:.  These boxes of information seem solid on first appearance but trust me any of them can change, ANY  and if your not open enough to accept that as a person you will end up, simply put, like the rest!!!

--------------------

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #3175132 - 09/24/04 03:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Great post!
I was scared of how long this reality lasts. It seems to me that living like this on the planetside trip has been going on for a long time. Sometimes when I am tripping I look to the future and see what I will be like when I come back from death. I look to the past and I can tell that I have been doing this for awhile, just living. And seems to be what there is: life. It can be scary the prospect that you will die and be reborn over and over again. But it can also be awe-some in the fact that we seem to have spiritual friends, who are with us in this journey. I don't know if I am just speaking for myself but I seem to have found a friend that I felt as if I knew before I knew him. It was like we had been friends in a previous life and our minds were on the same wavelength. Now this could just be a great friendship or, and I am more inclined to believe, we are spiritually intertwined. I don't know but it seems to make the game of life much better!

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology