Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrood
Stranger
How do shrooms work? Seratonine?
    #777055 - 07/25/02 07:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know how to spell Seratonine, but it is a chemical in the brain that I am told is depleted by MDMA. Do mushrooms increase Seratonine, or fuck with the thing that makes seratonine? OR, do Mushrooms just stimulate receptors in your brain? Im intrested in how mushrooms work. I've gathered that mushrooms are pretty safe, from all the FAQs I've red. Are there any long term health risks? Because I know if I like shrooms, Im gonna grow and trip every two months or so. I have read TONS of info about shrooms, but none of them seem to answer these questions directly. I like to do some research before I try new drugs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepothead2824
Stranger
Re: How do shrooms work? Seratonine? [Re: Frood]
    #777766 - 07/26/02 05:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

please search the archives.... but this is from a previous post, not mine

The mechanism of action (?) of Psilocybin is known (the drug molecule is a modified form of the seretonin molecule, so it acts very strongly at specific types of seretonin receptors (5HT2), more strongly and specifically for those receptors than normal brain seretonin would) however, why this has the intense and profound effects on our perception of reality that it does, is unclear- due to our rather incomplete understanding of the relationship between brain structure and conciousness. I have seen mentioned that this artificial stimulation causes altered rythmic firing of neurons in the brain. In certain types of Epilepsy, characterised by altered rythmic firing in specific brain areas, there are accounts of altered states of conciousness, seeing god, hallucinations etc... Also, i think a lot of the receptors that psilocybin acts on are in the visual areas of the brain, specifically those dealing with edges, lines etc... hence the fractal CEVs etc... Oh i dunno, it's all mad, crazy and very, very interesting. I know a fair bit more and have a lot more ideas than i could write down here though, as me being able to make sense would involve a lot of rambling and waving my hands about furiously. The bottom line is, there is absolutely no way to come up with a simplification of how shrooms work. Last time i tripped i got into a big discussion about all this, had my Biochemistry/ Pharmacology textbooks all spread out all over the floor, lots of frantic gesturing,hand waving, pacing, beard stroking. Great fun

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #778215 - 07/26/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

no one knows how mushrooms work.

mainly because we dont know how the brain works.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: How do shrooms work? Seratonine? [Re: pattern]
    #778622 - 07/26/02 02:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

t

Edited by Galvie_Flu (05/24/11 05:43 PM)

OfflineDETACHABLE_PENIS
Night Rider
Loc: show currently cancelled
    #779339 - 07/26/02 09:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Seratonin is a central neurotransmitter that plays a key role in regulating aggression, mood, sexual activity, sleep, and sensitivity to pain. just so you know a neurotransmitter is a chemical that helps neurons communicate(neurons are brain cells). psilocibin, in chemical structure, resembles seratonin enough to fool your neurons. as for long term effects, psilocibin can and usually does overstimulate the brain over time psilocibin can make it need more seratonin and psilocibin to stimulate it. thats ok for shrooms you just eat more. but what about seratonin, the body will need more but it can not make more so everything that seratonin does for you will be gone. making you moody, sleepless, and not as sexual are just of the few tragedys of too much. so have fun but not too much.

--------------------
Prepare to turbo boost.

InvisibleSalsDali
Re: How do shrooms work? Seratonine? [Re: DETACHABLE_PENIS]
    #779371 - 07/26/02 09:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I just feel like being picky here so don't take this as a knock BUT:

it's psilocin that binds to receptors, not psliocybin.

"the body will need more but it can not make more so everything that seratonin does for you will be gone".
>You could try taking 5-HTP to help replenish the expended 5-HT. Both pre and post loading.

Funny factoid: 90% of total body serotonin is located in the gut.

The thing about most drugs, including psychotropics is WHERE in the brain they bind to most. 5-HT receptors are spread throughtout the brain but it's the subtype receptors that are much more localized and many psychedelics only bind at very specific subtype receptors and/or have a weak affinity at the other 5-HT receptors.

I hate to be the one to lay it on you all BUT GOD is neurochemical in origin and exists in very specific parts of the brain.
GOD doesn't live in a substance like psilocin anymore than GOD lives in aspirin but since psilocin happens to affect the areas of the brain responsible for interpretation of GOD then when one takes psilocin they may experience GOD like feelings.

Oh BTW all the people running around believing in Jesus and what not either feel like that because it is what they were taught but don't really "feel" it OR they have a dis-regulation of 5-HT that makes them feel GOD like thoughts.
So instead of giving churches tax-exempt status we should really be suggesting that these people to go on meds to control their 5-HT dis-regulation.

--------------------
Does an ounce of weed weigh more than an ounce of feathers?

Edited by SalsDali (07/26/02 10:24 PM)

Anonymous

Re: How do shrooms work? Seratonine? [Re: SalsDali]
    #779389 - 07/26/02 10:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

good post

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #779475 - 07/27/02 01:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

serotonine is the correct spelling for the neurotransmitter.

So I will post a paper titled How hallucinogens work.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale