Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming
    #2149658 - 12/01/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

they have only taken them a few times (10+-), but any concerns? experiences?

this person does not suffer from severe depression. They just are somewhat down here and there....

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDocDreadlock
meditator

Loc: SoCal
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: dobinky]
    #2149819 - 12/01/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
if your mind isnt clouded by unneccesary things, this is the best season of your life

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting

Loc: The land of The People
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: DocDreadlock]
    #2150573 - 12/01/03 10:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I would think that there would be a definate reaction. Zoloft is an SSRI so your friend is already going to have a higher than their average of Serotonin floating around. So if they actually want to increase that Serotonin via psilocybin I wouldn't let them take very much. It would be like a Psudo Ayahuasca. Where the Zoloft would act like an MAOI since it is a SSRI and the Psilocybin would subbstute for DMT> It would be a different experience than if they just took a gram of mushrooms by themselve. The zoloft will potentiat/increase the effects of the mushrooms. Not adviseable for a beginner, definatley. I would have your friend do some research. Goodluck.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: medicinebag]
    #2150706 - 12/01/03 11:11 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This person has never tripped. I advised them that they shouldnt till they have not taken zoloft for a month or so...Any opinions? Or if they do trip while on zoloft...should dosage be cut in half... (2grams intial taken down to 1g?)

thanks

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

OfflineAAethiopicus
Stranger
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: dobinky]
    #2150738 - 12/01/03 11:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmmm...
I have actually heard some very different info. First of all, in my psych class we learned that hallucinogenic drugs, and my professor cited psilocybin and LSD as examples, operate partially by decreasing the amount of serotonin in your brain, eliciting a "dream-like state." So logically, this would mean an SSRI should lessen the effect. Second of all, I read somewhere on erowid that mixing SSRIs with LSD will only decrease the effects. MAOIs, however, for whatever reason (I don't know how they work), WILL magnify the effects of both drugs. In my experience acid mixed with wellbutrin (an antidepressant which i understand is neither MAOI or SSRI) i believe it drastically magnified the effects of the drug. I'm not sure if this was dangerous or what, but the magnification on an MAOI is supposed to create a hypertension that can lead to death.

My advice is to do some more research. although, I'm quite sure being on the SSRI will only make the trip kinda suck.

Offlineharken989
guider of minds
Loc: 'round town
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: AAethiopicus]
    #2151746 - 12/02/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

MedicineBag no offense, but giving out bad information can be detramental to one's health in certain cases. Anyhow....SSRIs(Zoloft, Paxil)when combined with psychedelic drugs that inhibit increased seratonin flow it drastically reduces the effects of the drug. I haven't heard of any dangerous interactions between SSRIs and shrooms/lsd but I would recommend he stop taking his pill a couple days before he doses just for the minimal saftey precautions and increased trip.

MAOIs however are said to double the effects of the drug(shrooms/lsd/dmt..etc) and cause some riskey side effects and certain dosages.

I have a friend who takes 100mg of Zoloft daily and he tripped on one occaision(6g's) and said the visuals were "all' right". After not taking his pill for 4 days, he tripped later taking 5g's and telling be it was much stronger than the 6g's. This is not an off the wall example either, it's a proven fact that SSRI's are a buzz kill.

--------------------
manja!

OfflineDocDreadlock
meditator

Loc: SoCal
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: harken989]
    #2153482 - 12/03/03 12:31 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i took a 1/2 8th last weekend and had been taking 150 mg of zoloft for nearly 3 weeks, the result was that i didnt get much of a trip and I couldnt sleep for 6 hours after i injested. nothing too negative, but nothing too great either, zoloft is definently a buzz kill.

--------------------
if your mind isnt clouded by unneccesary things, this is the best season of your life

Offlinestonerreakinghavoc
Shroom seeker
Loc: Colorado
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: DocDreadlock]
    #2153548 - 12/03/03 12:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i take zoloft and shroom, i trip but not hard at all like the other people i shroom with.Anyone know how long a ssri stays in your body? I might kick the zoloft to the curb soon its not longer working.

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: stonerreakinghavoc]
    #2153651 - 12/03/03 01:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

they stay with you about 2 weeks

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: harken989]
    #2153811 - 12/03/03 02:29 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Anyhow....SSRIs(Zoloft, Paxil)when combined with psychedelic drugs that inhibit increased seratonin flow it drastically reduces the effects of the drug.

I think it depends on how long the person has been on the drug. If they've been on it for less than a few weeks,it can actually potentiate psychedelics IMO (usually not in a good way)

I've tripped on Paxil and Zoloft. When I was on both for longer peroids of time,they pretty much killed my trips. However,whenever I did shrooms on Zoloft when I was only on it for a week or two I think it increased the trip. I felt extremely restless and nervous the whole time though.

No one really knows how antidepressants work,but they may actually make certain serotonin receptors less sensitive (specifally 5-HT2 receptors) over prolonged peroids of time.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: monoamine]
    #2154276 - 12/03/03 09:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

People should not mix psychedelic drugs with antidepressants.

mj

Anonymous

Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2154863 - 12/03/03 01:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

why the fuck not?

Offlineingo_2001
funky monkey

Loc: UK
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: ]
    #2155327 - 12/03/03 03:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I take SSRI's and have been doing psychedelic drugs regularly with no problem for three years. I take Celexa which is more selective than Zoloft. In the brain there are more than one type of receptor which seratonin (5-HT) binds to when released from the brain cell. These create different pathways through the brain which have different functions. SSRI's Have a high affinity to bind with the 5-HT1 re-uptake receptors which regulates mood but will also bind to other re-uptake receptors (including adrenaline and dopamine receptors). The more selective a drug the less likely it is to bind to other receptors. Psilocin has an affinity to bind to the 5-HT2a receptors (beleived to have something to do with dreaming) which cause you to trip but will also bind to other receptors. The only risk you really run is of developing seratonin syndrome, which is extremely rare and is when you have too much 5-HT in the blood. As they both work mainly on different receptors this is highly unlikely, plus psilocin does not enter the neuron to cause 5-HT release or stop it's re-uptake but rather mimics the action of 5-HT in the brain.

Anyway from what I understand and from experience people taking SSRI's will find psilocin slighty more potent than those not. Due to the SSRI's they will also be less likely to have a bad trip. I have not experienced any increase in depression of anxiety from this combination neither.

They would be better to trip first time with SSRI's, it's a much friendlier experience IMO.

Offlineingo_2001
funky monkey

Loc: UK
Re: Friend uses Zoloft...Wants to try shrooming [Re: ingo_2001]
    #2155339 - 12/03/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

like candy-flipping with a very small MDMA dose but no amphetamine effects.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience