Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
How to handle bad trips
    #756837 - 07/18/02 06:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I used to think i could handle anything. Then one day i had a real bad experiance where i lost everything i ever knew. Well I ended up 'trying to escape' and runing, breaking stuff, and yelling. I know alot of times trips can be overwhelming and the whole "Chill, im on drugs" thing doesnt always work :P I could be the at the same level of intoxication, and either run, scream and get arrested or hospitalized. Or i could curl into a ball and handle the trip quietly. I would much rather prefer the latter, so does anyone have and good ways of dealing with bad trips, or overwhelming trips(i dont know the diffrence)

I know if im not completely out of it, i can see other people doing other things and maintain some reality. Like cars driving by, and normal things people do. This also made me freak out in that situation though because the whole trip was themed around "what we do as humans" and it all seemed sureal.

I took lsd yesterday, had fun but the whole time i was having to calm myself down, not that i needed it, but i expected the worse, and it prevented me from having a more enjoyable experiance.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to handle bad trips [Re: tak_old]
    #756842 - 07/18/02 06:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You have to change your setting / music quickly inorder to change your mindframe. Try to think about whats bothering you most...usually its mostly a internal feeling or mental thought. I curled up into a ball once and had a pretty life-changing experience through my thoughts. Then again, one time I ran out of the house, smashed things, and got taken to the hospital by cops...not cool.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
    #756848 - 07/18/02 06:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Anothing thing i noticed helped was to just lay there and look. Dont stare at anything in particular, it will coe into focus, and you will think about it. Its alot easier to just gaze into nothing, and flow with it. Hard to do, but it works if you can remember.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #756864 - 07/18/02 06:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, if you dont have any music on, then throw on some floyd (or other good mellow music). I tried to do this before I spun into a "borderline" bad trip but I couldn't figure out my controller. I mean...I know what to do in my head...but doing it was a whole 'nother problem!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #756886 - 07/18/02 06:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I guess everyone has their own methods of avoiding a bad trip. Curling up into a ball is a common thing to do, and it usually does help a bit. Changing the music is another tip. I like to sit down and endure whole albums, but if something goes REALLY wrong, I'd turn the music off, take a breather, maybe go to the toilet, get a drink of water, and then chill out again. Never had a one way trip to Hell yet, but once I did get some negative thoughts and feeling really bad and thinking this was Death. I had to lie down and breathe and turn my focus away from my nausea. It was hard, but I managed to battle it. Who knows when the time really comes for a bad trip to be avoided, would I handle it? I would try. Main things to remember are.... You'll come down in good time, try to relax, change of music or scenery or movie, think of good things, just lie in a ball and roll with the punches.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: How to handle bad trips [Re: Sheepish]
    #758115 - 07/19/02 05:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Curling up in a ball always seems to intensify the 'onslaught' for me. Last time I tripped it was more intense than ever but I realized that I only felt bad when I started actively thinking. When I start to analyze, figure, predict, interpret, etc is when I start feeling bad. Just shut off the metal dialogue and accept absolutely everything the mushrooms throw at you. My body has turned into a vacuum? That's okay.. it won't last forever. I'm actually already dead and the world is never coing back? No prob... Not always easy to do, but acceptance is the most powerful tool for getting back onto the positive side. Just don't react to your thoughts; observe them only. No commenting, dialoguing, judging...

Another thing I do is remind myself that if I'm tripping this hard, I'm experiencing things most people die before ever experiencing. I just willingly go for the wild, crazy ride. Just do NOT keep telling yourself "I'm in Hell, I'm in Hell!"

I could not do either of those things if I did not meditate. Learn to meditate, and become intimately familiar with the sensation of total indifference and acceptance. Shroom trips just get so much better.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlineanton420man
reefer addict
Loc: unfasionable western spir...
    #758774 - 07/19/02 11:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

all of the advise given here is good. if you are not too far down the spiral, changing your environment (room/space you are in, music, lighting, people around you, etc.) can be very effective. if, however, you have lost touch with reality on an upper lvl.4 or lvl.5 trip, your environment is having little impact on your trip anymore. now its all either deep inside your head or lightyears outside your body (i'm not sure which yet).

these out-of-body trips can be very profound and spiritually enlightening, but they are also incredibly intense and can scare the hell out of even a seasoned tripper. the best way i have found to deal with this is to simply abandon myself to the experience. lets face it. when you are at that point, when you have stepped through that door its already to late to turn back. you can either scare yourself silly for the next few hours with thoughts like "I'M NEVER GOING TO COME DOWN!" or "am i dead? is this what its like?" or "i've gone crazy. thats it. the drugs made me go insane."

....... OR you can take comfort in acceptance. you see, if any of those things were true, it certainly wouldn't make any difference fretting about it, now would it? if you are dead, then you can take solace in the fact that you are still experiencing a form of consciousness, which must meen that you are not dead, but headed for the next plane of existence. thats not so bad, now is it?
if you are never coming down, or have gone crazy, well then you just got the best deal in town. one dose is gonna last you a lifetime. make the best of it. after all, you're safely locked up in a rubber room being fed oatmeal through a straw, remember? nothing can hurt you here.

take it as it comes, accept it for what it seems to be at that moment, and move on, always looking towards your next horizon.

P.S.- one interesting note- i don't think i've ever had a bad trip on shrooms, only LSD. it seems less harsh, and easier to control the high with shrooms.

--------------------
"Weed will get you through times of no money
better than money will get you through times of no weed."
Freewheelin' Franklin Freak

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
Re: How to handle bad trips [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #769509 - 07/23/02 05:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

I could not do either of those things if I did not meditate. Learn to meditate, and become intimately familiar with the sensation of total indifference and acceptance. Shroom trips just get so much better.

hey I totally agree with you CyberChump

This is THE key to all feelings of resistance and non-acceptance that cause fear, pain etc and that's in everyday-life shit too, not just while on any mind-expanding substances hehe .......easy to say, practice is another matter.... and I haven't been doing it long at all by any means either but if you can eventually learn to filter out immediately any sort of negativity as soon as it arises in your mind then you can be free of that reactive crap that can bring on a bad trip....

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Offlinepants
Butt.

Loc: Internet
Re: How to handle bad trips [Re: ruskifile]
    #770879 - 07/23/02 04:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I like to lay on my back and pee into my mouth.

Drowning my dog in the bathtub helps alot too.

--------------------
Posting large images in sign[a]tures is not allowed.

Offlinegr8tefulme
intranervousprogrammer

Loc: Idaho
    #771394 - 07/23/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

When I encounter a bad trip coming on I try to give myself something to focus on, be it a song, the setting of the trip, the people I'm with, even something as small and insignifigant(sp?) as a piece of fruit can distract me enough to transfer my feelings from bad to good. (once i turned a bad trip around by watching aan infomercial, you know the one with classic country singers, George Jones, etc.. His head was the funniest thing i have seen before or since!)

--------------------
"The harvest is destroyed in the wake of a great war,
and weeds grow in the fields in the wake of the army. "-The Tao Te Ching

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports