Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNyar15
Re: Cambodia cakes?
    #73149 - 02/05/00 10:11 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I just innoculated 6 jars of BRF/verm and finch seed/verm with this strain. In three days I have seen no signs of germination; although this is my first time growing, and the jars did reach an excess of 100 degrees for about two hours (whoops) so I may have cooked the poor spores. I'll update with my progress though.

--Nyar15

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#73151 - 02/06/00 02:48 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

8^) Oh it doesn't bother me that much, but when I think back to how much I have used over time for various slury experiments it makes me wonder... For me its $1.60 lb for brf.. Yes that is one dollar and 60/100 per pound... Rye is .55 per pound... I just couldn't believe how big a difference there is...

Ryche.. Yes I did forget to mention that... and now the second ungerminated cambodian has germinted. Just 1 tiny spot, but it did happen... I am very surprised.. At the same time, I did the camb.. 9 plantasia jars were done... They preformed exactly the same with 2 jars failing to germinate.. Neither of those has germinated yet... This is crazy though... a month and a half gemination time.. crazy... thats all I can say.

ThE JafF

Anonymous

#73152 - 02/06/00 09:40 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ok.. here are the unexpected results so far...

For brown rice... The only germination I have is a slight faint growth from the A strain.

No growth in the milk substrate

RYE!!!... 1 small spec in the plantasia jar... HUGE GROWTH EVERYWHERE from the A strain again!!!!

Super substrate (JafFs Milk n' Honey...n rye) HUGE GROWTH EVERYWHERE AGAIN from the A strain... No other germ to mention..

ThE JafF

Anonymous

#73153 - 02/06/00 01:41 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I dont know why people are having trouble with rice flour, I innoculated 6 jars with
rice flour/vermiculite a while ago and they were colonizing fast until they all got contaminated.

Offlinelares
    #73154 - 02/06/00 07:04 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Basically I'm really disappointed with the Cambodians. I was really excited about this strain when I saw Ryche's posts on it. However, after innoculating a number of jars with Cambodian batch #4 spores, I am greatly disappointed.
Basically, in one batch of jars (some on wild bird seed and some on finch seed), one out of seventeen jars has shown any sign of germination after a week. In a smaller sample of jars (prepared in the same batch), 3 out of 4 Ecuadorians showed healthy growth. Results on other batches were similar, with a somewhat smaller percentage of Ecuadors colonizing. At this point, even the Mazatepecs have shown a higher germination percentage than the Cambodians!

I might add that I've had considerable success with the Treasure Coast strain on several substrates. (I got the TC's from The Spore Chicks, who have been helpful and overall above-par every time.) I'm really perplexed and annoyed at the crappy growth shown from these spores, particularly when they were purchased under the pretense that they would show speedy germination and colonization.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #73155 - 02/06/00 07:34 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure what to think about all this talk about Cambodian's not germinating. The results I witnessed were very fast colonization speeds and average germination times. The cambodian strain IS a very fast strain. I'm not sure why so many are having problems with this strain, but its NOT the strain. I have sucsessfully fruited this strain(still fruiting)and have made 4 syringes from a print I took. The jars I have inoculated with my freshly made syringes are showing the same robust growth. All I'm sayin' is don't start giving this strain a bad rep. If its not germinating, its obviously a problem with the viability of the spores, and not a problem with the strain.

The Lizard,

--------------------

Offlinelares
    #73156 - 02/06/00 08:28 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe I should clarify. What I'm assuming here is that the spores I was sent were non-viable. Maybe if I got spores that actually germinate, I would get the results I expected.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

OfflineBoomerZ
old hand
    #73157 - 02/06/00 08:37 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Has anybody ever heard of or actually used Whole Wheat Chex as a substrate? What substrates usually colonize faster than others? Where are you getting these "unviable" spores from? Can compost bout at the store be substituted for raw dung?

Anonymous

#73158 - 02/06/00 09:39 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I too am a bit disappointed... I also feel that what you should really be concerned about LK is this. No one is giving these cambodians a bad rap... They are managing that all on their own.. The problem is that a lot has been claimed about them that appears to not be true in SEVERAL cases.. And I can now account for two of those cases... As this current experiment is from batch #3.
Also Ryche... My first trial was from batch #1 not batch #2... So I had bad luck (average germ, average growth, not actually bad, just average) with #1, #3, and others with #2 and #4... This don't look so hot...

I must say that Ryche's service is MILES above anyone else... He is by far the best... But this strain is at BEST another average cubensis... I am actually quite impressed with the A strain... This is the fastest one I can seen... I just feel that if I had know that I would get the results I am getting I would have gotten something different.. like a trop, or cyan... The whole reason I got the cambodian was for the speedy germ and growth.. something that is essential in my slurry experiments, so I was quite excited.. I am not bashing anyone or anything... I am telling people about my experiences... It would be dishonest for me to keep quiet about it when the whole purpose of this experiment was to find out what is going on.. This is my experience, it certainly doesn't speak for anything else but that... I am just not impressed...It is not like its worse than any other strain.. it just seems to be about even with others (except the A, it is way ahead of everything else)

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited February 06, 2000).]

OfflineNyar15
    #73159 - 02/06/00 11:45 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Cool, germination on some of the bird seed after 5 days (I raised the temp to about 85 or 86 now). Nothing on the BRF cakes yet; but I'm beginning to realize patience is the key here. I'll post pics if these things actually fully colonize. I'd be really happy to get a fair yield my first time growing. Thanks,

--Nyar15

Anonymous

#73160 - 02/07/00 12:26 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

i hade 9 brown rice flower fars and i got them all fully colonized in 4 weeks but the wierd thing is that my house was about 55 to 60 degrees at the time, i dunno maybe that had something to do with it.

Anonymous

#73161 - 02/07/00 11:46 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, the last A strain jar has germinated (dry milk powder/vermiculite).. That is my only new germination so far... So far none of the cambodians (batch 3) or any of the Gulf Coast Alabama have germinated, but it is still only 6 days.. Now I do have 2 observation of the A strain...

First of all... on the Brown rice flour, it is now everywhere (yes in a day or so), but it is very thin... like ghost mycellium or something. On the rye based jars it is much thicker.. (and it is all over the place there also).. I must say that this strain seems amazing..

Oh yeah.. the honey jars... the A strain dominates here as well.. I have never used the stuff before, but the jar looks done to me. Heavy growth for liquid... The other 2 I am not sure of... Looks like some growth in them, not sure...

I have been trying to think of some reason the cambodians would not work well for me. Only thing I can do is suggest as other have, maybe its the cold? Maybe they are slow because of it? I don't know... Do the people who have had the amazing growth live in a place where the mail from Ryche would never have frozen? I can't come up with anything else... These reports come from all batches, temp has been ruled out, and substrate seems to be getting ruled out...

ThE JafF

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #73162 - 02/07/00 01:57 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Thats an interesting theory. Maybe the cold killed most spores in the syringes but a few survived. This would explain such a long germination period because it would take longer for 2 spores to meet up since few survived. I dunno. But to add to your theory, I live in Georgia where it doesn't get very cold, which might explain why experianced such awesome results?

The Lizard,

--------------------

Offlinelares
    #73163 - 02/08/00 10:45 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I live in Texas. Granted, it's been cold lately, but from Arizona to Texas, it stays along the same latitude, and it's been above freezing lately. Not to mention I find it hard to believe that the Cambodians would have been hit so hard by cold weather, while the Ecuadorians are perfectly happy.

My hypothesis at this point? That Batch #4, or at least some of the syringes from this batch which I receieved, were contaminated with wet spot bacteria. Emptying the jars today, the seed reeked of that characteristic bacterial smell. At best, what I can salvage from this is a few spare germinated jars which will hopefully (I'm not holding my breath) colonize. I had to empty 30 pint jars of bird seed today due to this crap. Less than 23% of jars innoculated with these Cambodian spores have not fallen to wet spot, and I expect more to be non-germinating or end up with the same fate.

A complete waste of time and money.
:mad:

--------------------

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73164 - 02/10/00 04:18 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Lares...the problems with the cambodians have NOTHING to do with contamination. 1st generations spores, wild to domestication, 1st flush produced some weak spores that are dying out to fast. All other flushes and gererations of the cambodians are showing strong lasting growth. Those will be released soon when all test are finsished.

Wet spot bacteria is not transferred in spores anyway...do some homework on this....wet spot has to do with to wet of substrate for starters...

Doesnt matter if the cam syringe you got was vialbe and strong or not, if you make your substrate to wet, then your going to get wet spot and you'll have this problem no matter what spore syringe from any strain you inoculated with.

BTW... wet spot is very common amongts grains, like rye grain, wheat grain, and even millet from finch/bird seed. Improve your grain tek and the wet spot will go away.

I'm sorry your frustrated with the whole thing right now... but no matter what strain or how viable and strong the syringes were, if you made your grain to wet, you would have got wet spot. Just a learning experience my friend.

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73165 - 02/10/00 04:23 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Man Jaff.. you crack me up...powerderd milk !!! Your always trying some unusual out of the norm substrates... what happend to corn cob ? he he he..

Yes.. the A strain is fast... and fruits beautifully, does exceptionally well on straw. Haven't done a whole lot of work with this strain, but its definatly your spring and summer strain, does real well in heat.
Dried and matured.. taste like shit...but effective :wink:

Jaff... as soon as these new syringes are ready of 2nd gen spores, I'm sending you some free ones to try it out again so you can change your thoughts. But please use it on a typical substrate your use to instead of experimenting on dry milk and other odd substrates your just getting use to.. to get a fair judgement.....dry milk.... you mad scientist :smile:

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#73166 - 02/10/00 07:18 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well as you see I did try several substrates, and the A strain is tearing through the Dry milk as well... Growth on all the jars of the A strain is above 50%, the brown rice jar is funny ad it is about 80% colonized, but the mycelium is so faint, you can barely be sure it is there, except in a few spots where you can compare it to an uncolonized area... I saw this sort of thing once before, with the B+ I believe.. It would quickly glaze over an area then fill it in with thicker growth later... very wierd.. The other jars of A strain show more typical growth (although mighty quick) however... The mycelium looks "funny" to me... I am not sure how to describe it.. It isn't cottony, and it isn't rhizomorphic.. it like it is just coloring things white. That is probably a bad description, but its all I can come up with for now.. I need a camera!!!!

ThE JafF

InvisiblePrellgott
addict
    #73167 - 02/12/00 04:41 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

my pan Trops look like this at the moment...

------------------
I am back with a
vengeance
don`t dare to
call me a junior or
I`ll kick your virtual
ass.....

--------------------
i'm back

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73168 - 02/16/00 10:12 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Heya Jaff,
I've seen this before as well. Where a quick layer of mycelium covers the substrate, then a second, thicker layer comes back over and covers it again. I've seen this with the B+, B, and A. All from Mr. G. Very strange.

None the less, the A is fast and fruits some nice size mushrooms. I have some pics of I'll post when I get caught up ... soon.

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom