Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Cambodia cakes?
    #73129 - 01/27/00 03:26 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well this is my first time growing and I am using the MMGG meathod with the brownrice/verm cakes, and I inogulated on new years, and they still aren't fully colonized, one of them is very close, and the others have a long way to go... =\ I think I may have to start over, cause this is taking forever... =(

------------------
-Jim Sh0e-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#73131 - 01/27/00 05:59 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Give up, its not worth the hassle

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73132 - 01/27/00 08:01 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 06:11 PM)

Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
    #73133 - 01/28/00 09:52 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Another thing might be that the tempature is too cold Jim Sh0e. I suggest you make an incubator (assuming you don't have one) to keep the jars at a constant 84-86 degrees.
Don't through them out... they deserve a chance.

Anonymous

#73134 - 01/27/00 10:15 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I heard something mentioned on another topic about using organic rye flour. has anyone tried this with success? I have 3 jars innoculated, but haven't had any growth as of yet. I'd like to know if water amounts have to be varied, or any other changes to the substrate recipie.

Anonymous

#73135 - 01/28/00 11:03 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well to be honest I had the exact same problem using brown rice flour with the cambodians. I do know what I am doing, and I am sure I was at 85-86 F and I know the substrate was not too dry or too wet...

BUT!!! I am starting to wonder if this strain just had a problem on PF mix? Has anyone seen fast growth on it? Ryche I trust you completely, you are amazing... I am sure it does wonderfully on finch seed... I only know what I have seen so far. It seems slow on PF mix..

Unless someone else has results that point the other way I would say, it might be better... let me rephrase that.. If you are fruiting on cakes, it is ALWAYS better to use Ryche' mix.. I only use PF cakes as spawn beacause they seem to resist contamination a little better than birdseed. But if you are going to be fruiting directly off the cake, take the time and do things right... The birdseed mix is much more nutricious.

OH!!! Ryche!!! I almost forgot... When did you make your 1000'th post? I guessd the 23rd remember!!!

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited January 28, 2000).]

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #73136 - 01/28/00 12:08 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I'm having no probs at all with this strain. Its extremly fast colonizing 1/2 pints in 11 days from spore. 7 days after germination I had 100% colonization in 3 jars. MadMax, yes organic rye flour works well. I used the regular ole MMGG substrate with the exception of the rye flour in place of BRF. I'm also trying something new I found at the grocery store in my substrate. Its called 'wheat germ', its working awesome. It gives the substrate a very clumpy sticky texture but the cambodia is tearing it UP! I also started some tasmanian cubensis on the 'wheat germ' and its taking to it very well also. Anyway, the Cambodian strain colonizes PF substrate the same any other cubensis does, just faster. If your having problems with it, I'd suspect an improper moisture content in your substrate. Keep trying this strain is definately worth while. I have about 200 small pins in my casing right now so it won't be long :wink: its been 1 month from spore to fruit, AWESOME! Thanks again for this superb strain Ryche :wink:

The Lizard,

------------------
-------------------------
Lizard Kings can do anything.

[This message has been edited by Lizard King (edited January 28, 2000).]

--------------------

Anonymous

#73137 - 01/28/00 12:21 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Now this is what I can't understand... "Your post!!!" You said it works fine with pf substrate.. but then you say I used the mmgg (same as pf basically) but I used rye flour!!! THAT IS NOT THE SAME... the brown rice flour is the only source of nutrient in pf mix.. if you change that, you do not have pf mix, or specifically you do not have a brown rice flour mix. They are not the same.. Whole grain brown rice does not preform the same way whole grain rye berries do. And it isn't just due to the consistancey.. They have different nutrient contents... What I am suggesting is that this cambodian strain may not be adapted well to brown rice flour for some reason, specifically it may not grow fast on it. Why I am not sure. It is just an observation.. Jars prepared from the exact same batch (meaning mixed at the same time in the same bowl) AKA THE SAME MIX.... of perfect moisture content I assure you... were also innoculated with a mysterious strain that should have been slower. It was not slower. It has grown at about the same rate, a few jars were faster. I don't think its a bad strain... It is as good as any other so far in my limited experience with it, but maybe I would see faster growth on a different substrate. If you have tried BROWN RICE FLOUR substrate and got these amazingly fast results, then please CLEARLY say so. If I am wrong about this, then at least I can go on and look for some other mystery variable, which I can assure you is not moisture content or temperature...

Your use of wheat germ is interesting.. Have you fully colonized the cambodia on it? If so, how fast was it?

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited January 28, 2000).]

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#73138 - 01/28/00 12:45 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

What I meant was I used the MMGG substrate but instead of using Brown Rice Flour I used Rye flour. I still used the same measurements and everything. I just substituted the BRF with Rye Flour. I don't think there was a major difference but I can't tell because I don't have any regular jars using BRF to compare to. The wheat germ seems to be a great discovery. So far both cambodian and tasmanian mycelium seem to love the addition of wheat germ in the substrate. I only have about 30% so far but all seems to be going well. I'm going to try crushed corn next?(who knows?) I love experimenting :wink:

The Lizard,

--------------------

Anonymous

#73139 - 01/28/00 03:24 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

How much wheat germ did you ad?

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#73140 - 01/28/00 05:06 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Thats my only problem, I didn't document how much I added. I know it was close to equal parts with vermiculite and a pinch of BRF. The reason I tried the wheat germ is because I couldn't find flax meal, only flax seed. So I decided to experiment with something new and picked up wheat germ flakes. I only used the wheat germ flakes in 3 jars because I wasn't sure it would work. To my suprise it did. So I'll continue to experiment with it so I can come up with a recipe. For right now I'll mess around and see what works and what doesn't. I might try a 1 jar of pure wheat germ and see what happens, who knows?

The Lizard,

[This message has been edited by Lizard King (edited January 28, 2000).]

--------------------

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73141 - 01/28/00 06:38 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #73142 - 01/29/00 10:52 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

2nd CLOSEST!!! AHHWW That sucks!!

Anonymous

#73143 - 01/29/00 07:33 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

2nd does suck. Awww well... 88 minutes is so impressive I can't feel bad. I'm too much in awe...

Anyway. I have been thinking about this brown rice thing... And I would have thought it would work out the other way around, BUT.. Maybe BECAUSE this species is so used to rice it grows slowly on it. As if it was tired of it.. I know with clones, you are supposed to vary the substrate to avoid this problem, but I didn't think it would happen even over time, with spore. Maybe it has just had rice so much it says...

"Shit, rice again."

or when it gets birdseed it says..

"Man I never get birdseed, eat it quick before someone takes it away..."

Ok I am way too tired.. I have no business posting right now..

ThE JafF

Anonymous

#73144 - 01/31/00 01:48 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I prepared some jars this week in advance preperation for a Cambodian syringe I'm expecting from good old Ryche Hawk. I'm experimenting with quinoa. Actually, I have 2 jars with brown rice flour, 2 jars with freshly ground wheat flour and potato water, and then 5 other jars with varying amounts of quinoa, manure and/or flour. I hope to see whether the different nutritional content of the jars makes for different growth patterns. I can hardly wait! :biggrin:

------------------
Peace and Love, Baby!

Anonymous

#73145 - 01/31/00 02:33 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ok.. I just got done cookin'.... I decided to figure out what is going on once and for all... Also I have some news..

When I last tried on Brown Rice Flour, 2 out of 9 Cambodian jars didn't germinate... Of the other 7 that did, right now only 4 have finished colonizing. Today is 5 weeks. BUT on 4 weeks to the day one of the jars that hadn't germinated, did.... It immediatly caught up to the other jars, and is more that 3/4 colonized right now. Strange huh!

Anyway, on to the experiment... I cooked 4 jars of brown rice flour, 4 of rye flour.. to compare the growth of the two. Now, I quickly remembered why I don't use rye flour. When you add water it immedatly turns to glue, like soy flour... If I remember correctly I should unload my cooker tomorrow morning to find sever bricks of rye flour... Anyway.. I am also trying 2 experimental substrates just in case.. 4 of each of these.

The first is the same kind of mix, but with powdered milk in place of the brown rice flour, the other is rye flour, a spoon of powdered milk, and 1/2tsp of honey added to the water..

Oh did I mention I am trying this with 3 other species as well (only 1 jar of each substrate though). The A strain, Plantasia, and Gulf Coast Alabama... It will be interesting to see how each strain handles each substrate. I will keep everyone updated...

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited January 31, 2000).]

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#73146 - 01/31/00 04:34 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Hello jafF, I noticed that my substrate was kinda sticky when using rye flour, but it didn't slow things down a bit. By day 15 or so after germination, all 12 of my jars were finished, most by day 10, 3 by day 8. I've cased 10 of the 12 jars and the other 2 jars I used as spawn to inoculate 1/2 gallon bags of cow manure collected from a local field. So far the manure bags are around 30% colonized, its hard to tell. One of my peat/verm casing will be ready to harvest in a few days. So trust me rye flour works fine. I didn't start them on BRF until a few days ago, so I can't tell if rye works better for this strain or not, because I have no base for comparison. But theres growth in the jars using BRF, so I know both flours will work.

My wheat germ experiment, so far appears to be a failure. The jar of cambodian that I started on wheat germ busted. I dropped it on the floor the 2 day after germination. So now I have the tasmanian strain on wheat germ in 1 jar. At first it bursted out with strong growth. Then it slowed to almost a hault the past day or so. I'm not sure if its the substrate or just slow growing mycelium.I've never grown tasmania mycelia before.

Anyway, I hope you get jars full of white stuff :wink: good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by Lizard King (edited January 31, 2000).]

--------------------

Anonymous

#73147 - 02/04/00 06:49 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well thank you...

I do still have faith in the rye... It was long ago that I experimented with rye flour, and perhaps I never gave it a fair chance... I know I had slow growth with it, and then attributed that to its sticky nature... I only did one try... I may have just been inexperienced at the time. I am on day 3 right now.. So far nothing, but we will see. I am sure they will spring to life any day now.. If so I will switch to rye immediatly... It was CHEAP!!! 3 times less expensive than organic brown rice flour!!! I'm also giving that honey water a try now...

ThE JafF

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#73148 - 02/03/00 10:37 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineNyar15
    #73149 - 02/05/00 10:11 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I just innoculated 6 jars of BRF/verm and finch seed/verm with this strain. In three days I have seen no signs of germination; although this is my first time growing, and the jars did reach an excess of 100 degrees for about two hours (whoops) so I may have cooked the poor spores. I'll update with my progress though.

--Nyar15

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds