Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
LC contaminated? *pics* * 1
    #6533648 -

Hello, shroomerites! I've been reading everything I can on this site for a few months, and have decided to begin my adventure into mycological cultivation with the PF Tek, begun with a liquid culture (well, 2 actually). 1 was started 7 days ago with creamcorn's LC cloning tek (substituting 2 CC of Ecuadorian spores from a shroomery sponsor, of course) and 2 was started 5 days ago using Otto's LC tek, same spore syringe.

Oh, and both have been incubating in a TiT at ~78-80 degrees F for the entire time.

Anyway, here's some pictures of each of 'em. I can't tell if what I've got is contamination or mycelial growth.

Culture 1 before agitation (the dark blob is a pebble, added before steam sterilization)


Culture 1 after agitation


Another closeup of Culture 1 after agitation. It isn't really visible in any of these shots, but the grainy-looking whoknowswhat that's growing in there is very slightly beige colored, not pure white. Perhaps the mycelium is growing on some of the sediments?


Culture 2 before agitation. The dark, spidery thing is a couple of bent-up, mangled paperclips dropped in before sterilization. I use a regular 'fridge magnet to agitate it.


Culture 2, after agitation


Culture 2, after agitation. Again, a 2MP camera is not the best for this, but it's all I had. There's a great deal of sediment from the honey, and little clouds of white wispy-looking stuff (a few with dark centers) that stay on the bottom of the jar until agitated. Again though, none of the stuff is "white like the driven snow"


LC veterans, whaddya think? Bacteria, mold, mycelium, or Martian life?

edit: pics fixed

Edited by BoogieBot (02/06/07 04:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: BoogieBot]
    #6537176 -

Only one of the photos is appearing.  The first one.  That brown sediment at the bottom does not look at all like mushroom mycelium to me.  :undecided:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: CureCat]
    #6539655 -

It may be possible that the paper clip is rusting and that is what is causing the yellow/orange color in that container. Would anyone second that?


--------------------
How to make your 50/50 casing 50/50+ with only eggshells:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6519162&page=0&vc=#Post6519162

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: Lun4e]
    #6540183 -

That makes sense. I agree.

I can now view all of the photos, and I say the top LC is pretty surely contaminated.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: CureCat]
    #6542573 -

I dont think paperclips rust???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: cpw1971]
    #6542725 -

I was considering whether they do or not myself..... Hmmm.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: CureCat]
    #6542746 -

Okay... Hehehehe, I found some amusing information. Paper clips do rust i guess.

Did a google search for "paper clips rust":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="paper+clips+rust"&btnG=Search

Quote:
Staples and paper clips rust, shedding black flakes that stain pages and mimic bug droppings.



http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/news/newsletters/2007/spring/archive.html

Edited by CureCat (02/07/07 11:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: CureCat]
    #6542758 -

Ugh!  Stupid auto correct forum features!  I can't seem to ge the google link to work.  :mad2:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: CureCat]
    #6542985 -

oh ok :cool:  I have never seen a rusty one lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: cpw1971]
    #6543985 -

They shed black flakes the resemble bug droppings, eh? That might explain the little black flakes that some of the mycelium has attached itself to.

I pitched culture #1 and have been soaking the jar, lid, and agitator in bleachwater for a few days. Jar #2 has REALLY taken off these past few days. Lots of white, fluffy stuff that looks like teeny, tiny clouds, some of it attached to little black flakes. I tried to get some pictures, but the 2mp camera just isn't doin' it. =\

Edited by BoogieBot (02/08/07 12:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LC contaminated? [Re: BoogieBot]
    #6559386 -

Now that a few days have passed, what is the news on your cultures?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* P. mexicana strains contaminated mjshroomer 1,495 3 07/26/04 03:04 PM
by Pinback
* Liquid Culture Contaminations? Leimana 3,382 2 05/07/05 08:45 PM
by Leimana
* Does most contamination occur early on? firsttimer101 2,023 4 02/17/05 04:46 AM
by agar
* Purple/Pink contamination can be DEADLY
( 1 2 3 all )
Ryche HawkV 34,113 42 04/23/22 11:05 PM
by Imatryin
* Peroxide in your culture/grow medium... LaughingJim 959 3 10/05/04 07:05 PM
by Suntzu
* Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
JayBin 46,072 110 01/15/21 06:15 AM
by bodhisatta
* contaminant encyclopedia wind_wraith 3,655 3 06/19/01 11:25 PM
by nononsense
* Spread of contamination Xherrus 3,834 15 01/28/04 12:27 PM
by Anno

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,673 topic views. 18 members, 160 guests and 120 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.