Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
Liquid Culture Contaminations?
    #4146863 - 05/07/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

On 4/17 I made four Karo Tek liquid cultures, one each of Pan Cyan, Orrisa India, Huautla, and African Transkei.

Within two days the Orrisa and the African showed visible snot blobs. The other two did nothing.

In a week, the Orrisa and African each had large shaggy white blobs in them, while the other two still did nothing.

At the end of two weeks, the Orrisa and the African seemed to have stopped growing, and I noticed a couple small black specks resting in/on the mycelial clouds.

The Huautla had developed a quantity of white(ish) sediment that settled on the bottom of the jar.

The Pan Cyan has only developed a very small amount of very fine sediment that is hard to see except with the light just right.

On 5/4 I made up four pint jars of substrate and inoculated two with the Pan Cyan, and two with the African.

Today, on 5/7, I examined the pints and discovered that I injected a very healthy green mold culture into the African jar. The Pan Cyan shows no signs of growth.

I am 99% sure that the Orrisa lc is green mold as well. I will make up a half pint jar and verify. Figures that the two I thought were just taking off are the two most contaminated.

Any thoughts on the Huautla liquid culture? The Pan Cyan? Any help from people with experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leimana

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleadoseofparn0z
Eye Opener
 User Gallery

Re: Liquid Culture Contaminations? [Re: Leimana]
    #4147841 - 05/07/05 08:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Do you think your substrate mix might've been off as compared to prior innoculations? What ratios did you use with what substrate? How'd you sterilize them and did you clean your syringe tip with alcohol & flame? I'm sure it's either just mycelium not growing at optimum conditions or contams, which seems the most likely to me. I think it'd be a good idea to shake them if you haven't already to see if it's growth patterns change at all.

--------------------
For a reliable vendor with high quality merchandise at a great price, try BBB

Edited by adoseofparn0z (05/07/05 08:14 PM)

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
Re: Liquid Culture Contaminations? [Re: adoseofparn0z]
    #4148268 - 05/07/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The substrates are "experimental". One was 50% coir chunks, 25% store-bought steer manure, and 25% WBS that I had left over from a previous inoculation. The other was the same proportions, except substituting 50% shredded corrugated cardboard for the coir chunks. These were autoclaved at 15-18 psi for 40 minutes.

The syringes were wrapped in foil and autoclaved with the jars. The needles were flamed and swabbed with alcohol between inoculation points.

The jars that show contamination are just the jars inoculated with the African liquid culture, and the contamination perfectly follows the innoculant path beneath each of the inoculation points. These jars were the coir chunk jars. I have removed these from the incubator and placed them in the autoclave to await the next run.

The other two jars, the ones with shredded cardboard, show now signs of contamination or growth. I am hoping that this is just an eccentricity of the Pan Cyan, and that visible growth will commence soon.

I am more curious about the Huautla liquid culture. What is in the jar does not look like mycelium, but I have no idea what else it could be. I would think that bacteria or yeast would make the water cloudy. This just settled right to the bottom.

Leimana

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum