Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: gone with my shrooms
P. mexicana strains contaminated
    #2927850 - 07/26/04 04:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, first the thai student grew P. mexicana from streaking a cap supplied from a shroomerite here.

That failed and contamination set in. So then she tried streaking form three prints from Sporeworrks.

Their prints are good but the streaking caused intense Pink contaminations. I poted them to the member here who is qualified to grow them.

So then I attempted the same streaking method form three various prints I had.

The top is shown first and the bottom side of the contamination plates are yellow.

Here is the top and bottom. Anyone have any idea why weare geting contaminated.

A culture should arrive someday int he near future and then there can be no problem.

The first contamination is pink with brown centers by Thai student

Here is the one I did.

From the top view:

From the bottom of the petri plate.

Can anyone help or have any suggestions about what is going on. I lysoled my hands in antibacterial soap. Wore rubber gloves and rewashed hands with rubber gloves. Used flow hook, alcoholic lamp, ethanol for sterilization, burnt innoculating loop after disinfecting it, streaked the spores to the cooled off loop, and then streaked the agar two times.

And then contamination came.

I must say we have successfully grown agar for P. samuiensis, C. cyanescens and P. cubensis.

Even now have innoculated jars.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: home
Re: P. mexicana strains contaminated [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2927959 - 07/26/04 07:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe the petris weren?t clean enough or the hepa from the hood has had its best time. Maybe the innoc. loop contaminated after cooling down. Streak only 1 time saves time and every second counts when working without or defective flowhoods.

hope this jibberish help.

User Gallery

#2928062 - 07/26/04 10:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

In the top pic, are the contamination colonies following the streak lines?  It *almost* looks like it. . .this might indicate a high contam presence in the spores themselves.  When you streaked them, was it in the classical 'micro' way?  [with primary, secondary, tertiary quadrants].  The results look a lot like someone who is purposefully streaking out mold, but without knowing the streak pattern it's hard to say.  If that mold is following the streak lines from the primary innoc point, it's likely that the spore collection itself is moldy.  If that's the case, it's going to take some media reformulation to make those spores work, IMO. 
The second plate looks like classical airborne contaminants.  Is the problem only occuring with these plates/these spores?  Are you *currently* working with other plates that are not contaminating?
Regardless, I'd have to dig out a book or two [and a scope!] to ID those buggers. . .don't they have any 'normal' Penicillium/Aspergillus over there?!  :wink:

User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
    #2929071 - 07/26/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I recently grew what looked exactly like the mold on the first picture, also from a print from the named provider. I did manage to isolate clean mycelium though, and my tip is to streak many plates, but with a low spore count. The mold will germinate several days before the P. mexicana, so any late-comers will probably be what you want.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum