Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXochipili
journeyman
Is there a correct procedure?
    #540342 - 02/04/02 04:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I mean exact details, not just turn your head and dont breathe. a friend needs to make new G1 spawn masters. to do this he's got to transfer the neglected plates that were used for strain isolation #1 to new plates. 3 out of 10 plates have nasty mold growing on them(description follows). I cant get a great description but they appear to be one black and other green. Neither mold is growing concentrically, the way penicillin looks or even aspergillus. the black one is a solid black color growing all around perfectly snow white thick mycelial strands. the other doesnt bother me quite as much, its a green or two shades of green on different plates. How can these be most safely disposed of. they are in plastic bags, but the plates are glass, and need to be saved. the mold cultures look a bit powdery, like they've sporulated. its difficult to choose the best way, even with the excellent desciptions in TMC of fungi imperfecti. it could be several including aspergillus, green or black form (aspergillus niger) which is deadly. thanks for answers.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Is there a correct procedure? [Re: Xochipili]
    #540415 - 02/04/02 05:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sterilize the contaminated plates immediately, then discard all contents, clean plates very well in a solution of bleach and water.

I think that was the only question you had, probably could have left out the beggining part of your post. Just in case it wasn't, pick the cleanest and most uniform of the original transfer plates, and do new transfers with that. If you got three contaminated out of ten, you probably should do another ten to be safe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation