Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures
    #4081788 - 04/21/05 03:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all, I'm workin on my first ever grow. I decided to skip cakes cause I'm a firm believer if you're gonna do something, do it right. SO..this is what I got goin on. I have 4 quart jars of WBS with EQ strain that I'm gonna spawn to Tenn. Stud Prepastuerized 50/50. They are still colonizing, I'd say about 50% at this time. Heres my concerns and questions.

1. What is recommended to incubate the inoculated spawn in? I'll be using my TiT but what kinda container is best to use? A rubbermaid with cover and some polyfill holes in it? Ziploc bag with some pin holes in it?

2. How thick should the wet vermiculate layer on the bottom of the casing be? 1/2" or so?

3. How does everyone sterilize thier casing mix? I'd assume place the mixed casing material in jars and just PC it for awhile. I've also heard microwaving but I prefer to PC personally. Also why do so many prefer peat over coir? I think I'd have an easier time finding coir than peat. Although I will find it if its better. I've heard it gives larger/more flushes if balanced with a good PH buffer like calcium carbonate. What kinda stores can I find calcium carbonate?

4. When placing the colonized spawn substrate into the casing, should you compress it nice and tight or do you want it to stay aerated and fluffy?

5. My grow chamber is a 35 gallon rubbermaid. Right now I have an airpump feeding 2 bubblestones submerged in some water and hydrogen peroxide in a plastic container. I set this up today to see if the conditions would be correct but I can't tell the RH because my hygrometer just read HI after like 85-90% or so. Thats all I have in the growchamber except the 2x 20 quart containers I'm gonna put my casings in. I have some lava rock I bought last week, would it make much of a difference to place this in the bottom like a PMP and feed the bubblestones underneath that instead of into the container like I have it now? Also do most of you use polyfilled holes in the top of the growchamber for gas exhange or just fan a few times a day?

Please don't respond with read the FAQ's and search and such. I've read them all here, I've read lots of links and logs and all that. Just trying to get some direct input because there are a lot of variations and I'm unsure as how I should proceed with my particular project.

Thank you in advance for all your advice and feedback.

p.s. is what the alphabet would look like in that section if Q and R were removed.

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (04/21/05 03:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #4081913 - 04/21/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1.) Rubbermaid...no holes.

2.) I don't like bottom casing layers...I don't want to take any chances with contams under my casings...that I can't see.

3.) Microwave it...60/40 Verm and Coco Coir...fuck the doubters...proof is in all the successful pictures here at the shroomery...rest my case!~

4.) Depends on what you are using...straw compress it nice and tight-ish...horse poo sorta keep it more fluffy.

5.) I used to use large containers for fruiting chambers with bubblers...that will work fine!~ I had the holes with the polyfil down low at the level of my casings.

welcome to the shroomery!~

take care!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: Roadkill]
    #4081946 - 04/21/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I always microwave my casing mix and they come out just fine. I microwave for 5 minutes, stir with a sterilized spoon, and microwave for another 5 minutes. After that they can sit for a while before using. Microwaving also comes in handy for patching.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: Roadkill]
    #4082072 - 04/21/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda timid about microwaving the casing mix though. My kitchen is generally pretty messy and dirty. Not to say I wouldn't clean it real well if I was gonna work in it, but maybe I'll PC instead.

I'm using the Tenn. Stud 50/50 mix, so I guess maybe I'll compress it just lightly.

I'm a bit confused as to why you don't need an air/gas exhange when incubating the inoculated spawn. Its just like colonizing the WBS right? You're letting the mycellium spread the same. Why woud you not want that gas release?

Thanks again folks! I love this community!

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #4082569 - 04/21/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid_Euphoria said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda timid about microwaving the casing mix though. My kitchen is generally pretty messy and dirty. Not to say I wouldn't clean it real well if I was gonna work in it, but maybe I'll PC instead.

I'm using the Tenn. Stud 50/50 mix, so I guess maybe I'll compress it just lightly.

I'm a bit confused as to why you don't need an air/gas exhange when incubating the inoculated spawn. Its just like colonizing the WBS right? You're letting the mycellium spread the same. Why woud you not want that gas release?

Thanks again folks! I love this community!

From what I've gathered, there's a difference between gas exchange and air exchange. They can get enough gas exchange just with a few sm,all holes poked in whatever you are covering it with.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: snoo]
    #4082720 - 04/21/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Which is why I asked this question.
Because RK's response was: Rubbermaid, no holes.

--------------------

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

#4082794 - 04/21/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid_Euphoria said:
Which is why I asked this question.
Because RK's response was: Rubbermaid, no holes.

No, I meant poking a few holes in the aluminum foil or whatever you're covering the casing tray with. You don't want holes in your incubator.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Need some answers for first grow (bulk) about some of end procedures [Re: snoo]
    #4082842 - 04/21/05 08:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

We are talking about the casing container not the incubator.
He suggested using a rubbermaid, for the casing...he wasn't refering to the TiT incubator.

He said no holes. So I was wondering if he meant just cover it with its own lid, or leave it open completely?
I spose if you're covering it with its own lid it isn't exactly air tight so there will still be some exhange of air.

--------------------

Edited by Lucid_Euphoria (04/21/05 08:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate