Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth)
    #4227113 - 05/27/05 03:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My friend is making the move up to bulk and is trying to get his spawning procedure down to a T before he wastes spawn on it, so he is practicing pasteurization and then leaving the straw in the tub, just as you would when spawning but is not putting spawn in it. Here is the process he uses he is wondering if there are any problems you guys can see:

Straw is stuffed into a 100% cotton bag, then immersed in 165-175 degree water for an hour and a half, fully submerged with bricks on top of it. The straw is then drained by hanging in the pillow case outside, and is periodically "fluffed" to help facilitate drainage through evaporation. After sufficient drainage (5 hours or so) a tub is prepared. The tub is a 50qt rubbermaid, it is sterilized with 70% isopropyl alcohol as are hands and work surface. The straw is then pressed into the tub, had 4mil black plastic placed over it with holes poked roughly 1 or 2 eighth inch holes per quare inch. Plastic is tucked down and then weighted with cinder blocks that are broken apart so as not to cover too much surface area. The only potential problems my friend sees are aerial borne contaminants and is planning to use a bathroom and spray it down with some oust or something (by the way what is the best air sanitizer to use?). DO you guys have any tips for him, he would really appreciate any advice you can give.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth) [Re: lemunhed]
    #4227142 - 05/27/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If you can find some - I would go with weathered h/poo, rather that straw.

LOOK.... :HERE:...also

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth) [Re: lemunhed]
    #4227185 - 05/27/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If using straw, it should be partially degraded before pasteurizing?
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth) [Re: HippieChick]
    #4229442 - 05/28/05 08:17 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Guess it looks like I'll be doing alot of trial and error lol. I'll try ousting in a bathroom with a mask on next time, thats about the only thing I can think of...

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
    #4229480 - 05/28/05 08:55 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

things look fine if you are using straw. you dont need alot of holes in your plastic.
you dont mnetion how you plan on spawning to your straw. try laying a bit of straw then sprinkle in some grain more sraw more grain till you've reached 6 to 8 inches.
I've never used composted straw. straight from a bale is what gets pasturized and works just fine. if you can get some manure try that.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth) [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #4229575 - 05/28/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

100% cotton bag

Um...Cotton would be the worst choice of fabric.

Considering it will harbor bacteria...I just saying that while it dries out it might possiably get bacteria, not b/c it's outside, but b/c it's in cotton...lol...its probably ok though..

Quote:

The straw is then pressed into the tub

You want it fluffy and airy...A foaf chops it up into like 2-3in pieces...that er uses a blender lol.l...blender makes it a lil bit to small thought...but if you're doing alot, it's the way to go.

And I'd listen to whatever Agar said. :thumbup:

Plus poo has more nutes than Straw...

Good luck

-Gnostic

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: Proper Spawn Procedure ( I already read the teks, looking for more in depth) [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4229725 - 05/28/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I heard that you don't want the straw to be fluffy. In shroom gods straw tek is specifically says to "press down the straw with your fist using ALL your weight" it also has a tip for getting faster colonization by weighting the substrate down with cinder blocks in order to compress it more. Is this correct or what? And also thanks for all your info thus far =). I love the shroomery forums!

--------------------

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate