Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Peat moss
    #5013345 -

Is it ok to make a casing layer with just peat moss?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Peat moss [Re: xwave3000]
    #5013351 -

I'm guessing you don't have verm in your area? I think I've heard of people doing just peat moss before, but it definitely wouldn't be quite as effective, possibly because it lacks the water absorbtion/retention abilities of vermiculite. I would just wait until you can get something better, maybe some poopie or order verm online.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Peat moss [Re: matchbook]
    #5013533 -

Matchbook - Poop should never be used on the casing layer.  You do not want anything with nutritional value on a casing layer. 

xwave3k - I think peat moss would be OK to use alone given it has the right pH that is the main problem with using peat moss.  You will have to adjust it with oyster shell flour, lime, calcium carbonate, etc.  Peat is alkaline which makes it hard for the mycelium to colonize it, since it prefer a neutral pH of 7-7.5.  You maybe able to make it work but ideally pH is better around 7-7.5.  I personally stay away from peat since pH can vary depending on it's source plus the shit is like bad for the environment :smile: Peat dries out faster than vermiculite IMO so you casings may need misted more. 

I have heard of people using a  Jiffy Mix (easily available) as a casing layer, but no experience myself. 

I live in the middle of no where and have had no problem finding anything cultivation related.  Just know where to look.  Many gardens or nurseries will order shit for you too.  You can buy anything online if your comfortable with that. 

Hope that helped a little.  If I were you, I would research casing more and strive to find the needed casing materials.  I do fine with VERM/COIR/CALC. CARB mix. 
Commonly called like 60/40+ I think...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* peat moss? AvatarofAtavism 932 5 06/09/07 04:31 PM
by xaxphaanes
* accidentally burnt peat moss E Tard 831 3 04/02/03 02:24 AM
by E Tard
* I bought seed starter mix of peat moss perlite and calcium, ok? HUBSonDUBS 641 3 10/05/06 05:31 PM
by enesi
* 50/50 Coco Coir versus 50/50 Peat Moss
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Blue Helix 54,975 93 12/04/16 11:30 AM
by mushboy
* peat moss and vermiculiate? assassin 476 1 03/31/06 01:14 AM
by cappa
* Casing: Peat Moss or Coco Coir ?
( 1 2 all )
slowpork 2,377 20 09/04/05 01:22 AM
by mycofile
* Peat moss jisk8 1,227 14 10/23/05 04:30 PM
by jisk8
* Is PH buffer really needed if using straigh Peat Moss to case? jtk 2,286 7 09/03/05 05:20 AM
by mushfarmer2005

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
442 topic views. 19 members, 286 guests and 453 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.