Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate
    #4751895 - 10/03/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

From reading some other threads it seems to me that most people assume that the big bang/evolution and intellifent design are mutually exclusive. Why should this be? I fail to see how evolution being a factually supported theory negates ID which is more of a philosophical speculation. You can't disprove LAo Tsu with Newton, so how does evolution disprove the idea that the universe is created and organized by intelligence?

I see this as a thinly guised battle between materialism and spirituality. As a matter of fact we know that the earth was not created in 7 days, but that does not mean there isn't a higher level of knowledge or awareness behind it all. I don't think that established science proves a materialist/nihilist philosophy, which is just that : another philosophy.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4752483 - 10/03/05 11:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Here's an article I'm writing for the school paper:

Quote:

Teach the Irony

I?m going to do something very uncharacteristic of me: I?m going to agree with religious conservatives on something. I think Intelligent Design should be taught in science classes. Now, before you peg me as some sort of holy roller, let me explain. Most people do not understand how science works. They nod their heads in ignorance while creationists preach that evolution is ?just a theory,? even if they themselves are not creationists. It?s time to teach people what science really is.

In science, theory is all we have to work with. Science is based on limited degrees of certainty. Unlike religion, science never claims to be 100% certain of anything. Thus, even the most valid scientific inferences still fall under the category of theory. A valid theory must explain observable phenomena. It must make testable predictions. And it must be falsifiable. By this, I mean that it must be able to be proven wrong. Evolution, for example, could be falsified if we were to find rabbit skeletons in the Pre-Cambrian. A theory can be supported by the evidence over and over again, but it only takes one valid piece of evidence to prove it wrong. No such hard evidence against evolution has been produced, despite what phony ?creation scientists? may tell you, so it still stands as a valid theory.

Now, what about Intelligent Design? Is it a valid theory? No. That?s not to say it?s necessarily wrong. It?s just unscientific. Intelligent Design says there are things in nature which are too complex to have evolved by chance, and therefore must have been subject to outside intervention by an intelligent designer. So how could we test this? What predictions does this make? The answer: none. It doesn?t tell us anything we can look for in the fossil record to support it, nor can it be falsified. It does not tell us that we will or will not find certain features in specimens, but simply claims those features to be improbable(but they happened anyway).

So here we get to why I would like to see Intelligent Design taught in science classes alongside evolution. Intelligent Design is a perfect example of pseudoscience. Rather than keeping it out of the curriculum, it should be taught to help students understand the difference between science and pseudo-science, so they can discern other forms of pseudoscience when they come across them in the future. If the children are taught why Intelligent Design is not scientific, they can better understand what science is, and gain an appreciation for its methods. The irony of it all is that an honest examination of Intelligent Design and its relation to science would be the last thing the creationists would want to see.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #4752515 - 10/04/05 12:00 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Blame it on Descartes.

No, really... it's his fucking fault.

Of course, his move DID free the scientific community from the grasp of the church.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4752967 - 10/04/05 03:47 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

it really might be that we are extremely minor intelligences, unable to conceive of a super intelligence that creates and exists between past and future in such away that the entire universe is desined and constructed intelligently as a moebius in a greater dimension.

but that is a stretch of open mindedness and conjecture and a few leaps of faith too.

to make it science one needs more than hypothesis.

until then, does it merit more energy spilled, or possibly corpses of the supporters of believers of a regime that declares this true and that not?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4752982 - 10/04/05 04:27 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Paradigm  :thumbup:

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
I see this as a thinly guised battle between materialism and spirituality. As a matter of fact we know that the earth was not created in 7 days, but that does not mean there isn't a higher level of knowledge or awareness behind it all. I don't think that established science proves a materialist/nihilist philosophy, which is just that : another philosophy.

The hypothesis that the earth was created in 7 days is the same as ID. They both explain everything with a simple word "God". They both say something about the way things started without asking the why question to a deeper level. ID is not a result of the scientific method, but a result of fantasy. It is nothing more than fantasy. It's a matrix theory; cool, possible, but not part of science. I can make up millions of fantasy theories about the creation of the universe, some may sound more logic than others, but there is no way to actually tell which of my theories is more likely. And it would be stupid to just pick one and believe in it, wouldn't it? 

Science does not express reservations about the truth of theories.

Science is not a religion. I do not believe that any scientific theory is the ultimate truth, that would make it a religion. But I do believe that we can get the best understanding of how the universe works by use of the scientific method. Beside that, it's just the most fun. Scientific theories are fucking great to read and think about, but that's just my personal opinion :smile:

Edited by Annom (10/04/05 04:49 AM)

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: Annom]
    #4752990 - 10/04/05 04:42 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

unfort, the intelligent design being spread today has nothing to do with higher knowledge, and everything to do with teaching christianity in school.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: kotik]
    #4753097 - 10/04/05 07:04 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kotik said:
unfort, the intelligent design being spread today has nothing to do with higher knowledge, and everything to do with teaching christianity in school.

Correct. They try their hardest to pretend like that's not the issue, but it is.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: freddurgan]
    #4753204 - 10/04/05 08:05 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

No one has talked about the imminent by-product of all this. If ID can be taught in science class, then why cant evolution/big bang theory be mandated in theology and philosophy classes?
Furthermore, what would then stop the creation of the church of human secularism, which gets tax free EVERYTHING as well as government endowments and such.

I mean, who actually pays attention in high school, or who even, by the time they get to X science class where they teach these two opposing ideas hasnt already made up their mind.
By the time 7-8th grade biology or environmental science rolls around, these kids will have been either evolutionist, or creationist for years.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4753254 - 10/04/05 08:32 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i guess you should be able to put anything on the curriculum, including jihad and it's various mis-interpretations, but there is science in the study of evolution, and there is no science in intelligent design, merely astonishment at the complexity and fittingness of things.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4753267 - 10/04/05 08:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Paradigm
The hypothesis that the earth was created in 7 days is the same as ID. ...

no it isn't
one is a metaphor in which the idea of creation is embedded as a closed issue, and the other is a collection of mechanisms that are directly observed repeatedly and consistently not fully understood - being an open case for ongoing investigation.

I find the comparison dangerously misleading

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4753328 - 10/04/05 09:09 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

the other is a collection of mechanisms that are directly observed repeatedly and consistently not fully understood - being an open case for ongoing investigation.

That is science and not ID.

The "Intelligent Designer" is the same as the God who created the earth in 7 days. I don't see much difference in the basis of the two believes.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4753337 - 10/04/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Intelligent Design does not teach Young Earth Creationism. It doesn't even deny that evolution occurs. It simply posits that an "Intelligent Designer" must have intervened with evolution at certain points in order to create the level of complexity we see today.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: Silversoul]
    #4755171 - 10/04/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, as Paradigm stated I am NOT talking about Biblical Creationism. I am not talking about a white haired human-like figure with a beard creating the universe with magic. And furthermore I am NOT stating that ID is science or should be taught as science. I think it belongs in a philosophy class and not a science class.

However, I think the term psuedoscience is too condescending. Higher intelligence or organization principles in the universe, beyond what human beings can easily comprehend or observe, should not be treated like ghosts, UFOs or Jamiacan psychics. I think that a rational person can easily see that ghosts and alien visitors most likely do not exist based on fact. However as to whether the universe is theistic or non-theistic is not a question that human science has the capacity to answer.

Vedante philosophy is Intelligent Design, the idea that all the universe is an infinitely complex dream in the mind of God. In Buddhism a Buddha or Enlightened one because inseperable with a transcendental and eternal consciousness. Are those philosophies 'psuedoscience' as well?

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: Silversoul]
    #4755265 - 10/04/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Intelligent Design does not teach Young Earth Creationism. It doesn't even deny that evolution occurs. It simply posits that an "Intelligent Designer" must have intervened with evolution at certain points in order to create the level of complexity we see today.

Yes, I know. My comparison with Creationism was more abstract.

Divided_Sky, if ID is not science it is pseudoscience; by definition.

Quote:

However as to whether the universe is theistic or non-theistic is not a question that human science has the capacity to answer.

Yes, that's why it's fantasy if we make a theory about it. I like matrix theories. I like philosophizing about higher consciousness etc, but there is no reason to believe in ID. All kind of god theories are possible. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that a theory is the 100% ultimate truth though.

My problem with ID:

ID solves a problem by saying that it is something we will never be able to understand, so they call it god. It is the easiest way out and there is no fun left to explore and explain things with more elegant theories than "god".

If all people believed that the best model to explain the motion of the planets was "god", we would not have Newtons model. I think it's sad to explain something we don't yet understand by saying it must have been god and not think about it anymore.

Quote:

Vedante philosophy is Intelligent Design, the idea that all the universe is an infinitely complex dream in the mind of God. In Buddhism a Buddha or Enlightened one because inseperable with a transcendental and eternal consciousness. Are those philosophies 'psuedoscience' as well?

Yes, without any doubt.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4755289 - 10/04/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Oh and just to make my view clear:
Evolution doesn't disprove the idea that the universe is created and organized by intelligence IMO.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

#4755298 - 10/04/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I thought psuedoscience was 'paranormal 'phenomena'that people mistakenly presume to be science like UFOs and such. Religions or philosophies are not fake sciences, they are not science. Neither are they 'fanstasy' by default. I think it is a falisie to outright deny the existence of anything you can neither prove or disprove. I don't think any speculation that is not established by scientific fact belongs in the pile of 'psuedoscience'.

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4755333 - 10/04/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hehe, well than we might just have a different definition of pseudoscience :smile:

pseu?do?sci?ence

A theory, methodology, or practice that is considered to be without scientific foundation.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about a definition because I know what you mean now  :laugh:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #4755342 - 10/04/05 05:14 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
it seems to me that most people assume that the big bang/evolution and intellifent design are mutually exclusive. Why should this be? I fail to see how evolution being a factually supported theory negates ID which is more of a philosophical speculation.

You're right, neither theory negates the other. Infact they can both be complementary if you have an open mind about things. They could even SUPPORT each other.

But as it stands right now, ID theorist like to say that Neo-Darwinism is full of shit. Some of them claim that IDT DOES negate evolutionary theory. And the only thing that Neo-Darwinists have to do is point out that there is no legitimate scientific evidence supporting IDT.

until their is, it will never be taken seriously.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: The Problem With The Intelligent Design Debate [Re: dr0mni]
    #4755360 - 10/04/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think what makes IDT a psuedo-science is that it CLAIMS to be scientific when it is in fact not.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4755367 - 10/04/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think something can properly be called pseudoscience if it is not erroneously regarded as scientific. The Buddhist view of the Dharma, for example, is not pseudoscience because it does not claim to be scientific.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order