Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Virtual reality
    #452440 - 11/09/01 12:27 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

ok these days virtual reality gloves and goggles are old news right? and full-body VR suits have been made and are being experimented with, yes? I remember reading an article a few years back about some experimentation with VR "sex"....anyway that was about four years ago, so by now those with the money must be taking it further. ok so I put on my virtual reality gear and zap my mind off into virtual reality land, any program will do, let's say the virtual reality of an empty room, or a field of grass under the sun. then you put on your gear and log into the same program and there we are, two minds in the same Virtual reality place, alone, the only living beings there. right? ok now the stuff we have available today could easily be made to fit on a chimpanzee as well as it would fit me, so me and some chimp could go to the same virtual reality place together, without our bodies only our minds...well not exactly since the VR stuff is feeding sensations into our bodies but i think you can follow what i'm saying here.

so. in the future i don't think it is inconceivable that we could create virtual reality headsets that plug directly into the central nervous system. in which case I could possibly take my mind into a virtual space with a whale, a tiger, a snake....you name it, in an environment where that being could not physically attack me (with practice i'm thinking that the practiced virtual reality person could overcome any fear of attack, secure in the knowledge that it's not happening physically) and attempt to communicate, on that crazy level.....

this idea came to me a day or two ago, i was thinking maybe sometime in the future we'll learn how to "talk" to animals...seeing as they are talking (sperm whales for example use languages containing thousands of different syllables which can be strung together in intricate patterns that can be like chatter when they're in groups or long drawn out songs when they are alone....these sounds travel for huge distances underwater) but we simply haven't been able to learn their languages.

as an aside a couple of years ago my friend who is studying psychology and neurology was telling me he's really keen to help research what he called a "neural interface". the idea being that thoughts or ideas/feelings whatever are transmitted around the brain and body in electrical impulses, so with a "neural interface" plugged into my central nervous system and yours those electrical impulses are transmitted instantaneously from my brain to yours. thus eliminating the need for words or even body language. i guess they'd want to filter it so only the ideas and emotions were transmitted rather than the physical movement signals....but seriously this idea is pretty mind-blowing if you ask me......electrical, technological instantaneous telepathy?

long post. oh well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe AntiChrist
enthusiast

Loc: Holland
Re: Virtual reality [Re: Traveller]
    #452605 - 11/09/01 07:17 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

We wont need a neural technical interface to communicate telepathic. Its would be same as using a microfone and headset to talk to someone next to you.
Anyone can develope a telepathic abilty, so we dont even need machines. It would only make us even more depedent on material stuff, and I dont think we need that couse its way more vunarable and can be easalsy be manipulated in a bad way.
Hope you understand what I mean, my enlish isnt so good today.

--------------------
the lightswitch on the wrong side

OfflineThe AntiChrist
enthusiast

Re: Virtual reality [Re: The AntiChrist]
    #452607 - 11/09/01 07:18 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

And to make it a bit more clear. I already see development in telepathy around me and with myself.

--------------------

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #452620 - 11/09/01 07:59 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ever see the matrix?

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
    #452645 - 11/09/01 08:47 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i'm not saying we need it, i'm saying it could happen, and i'm saying it could happen in our lifetime. i also agree that it could be manipulated in a bad way by the usual people...but dude it would be very very different from using a microfone to talk to someone next to you. instant transmission of an idea while it is still in the idea stage! no words, no misunderstanding language or tone of voice or facial expression just an idea and it's response, or the other minds reaction to the idea is also transmitted instantly (well, in a fraction of a second) so the two minds are linked in a two-way flow of pure ideas. obviously this would be a total mind fuck at first, i'd imagine it would make it very difficult to do things like move...probably go into shock or something but with practice maybe the mind would adapt. hook up a third person. hook up 100 people and you have 100 minds joined in a flow, almost like one constantly progressing idea created by 100 minds...hook up 10,000, hook up 5 billion, hook up the whales and all the rest....combine this with intergalactic travel and colonisation and we're talking science fiction but the research is going into this stuff right now!!! anyone else seen the latest discovery channel shit or read in some science/technology magazine about methods of space travel?

OfflineThe AntiChrist
enthusiast

#452648 - 11/09/01 08:57 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I am saying that we dont need the technology to achieve it! We have to evaluate to that state, and that would make it way more powerful and effiecient. And also, the learing process is being created as we develop these abilitys, so no hard mind fuck, but a sweet and almost unnoticeble one. But if you pay attention to it, you can notice it, already.
And the microthingy I used as an exemple of how it will work if technology wins. And you see it as stupid, and thats just how stupid it will be when we have those technologies.

--------------------

OfflineThe AntiChrist
enthusiast

#452649 - 11/09/01 09:00 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I hope it wont happen, and was only trying to explain why.

--------------------

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
    #452668 - 11/09/01 09:21 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I would also prefer to do it without the machines. i find that shit really scarey for some reason but i'm not the one in charge of what's going on in the world so i don't think it's up to me to try to stop it. i'm watching with interest though, if you know what i mean. but yeah i'm all for developing the latent powers of my mind, don't know what they are yet (they're latent, you see) but i can feel that there's a lot of stuff going on back there if i can just stop THINKING so damn much.

anyway mr AntiChrist shouldn't we be doing some sort of crazy mental excercises now instead of typing bullshit on some damn piece of TECHNOLOGY?! or will our telepathic powers simply develope themselves?

don't be offended i think we share the same ideals here.

OfflineDankVudu
    #452935 - 11/09/01 01:21 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>anyway mr AntiChrist shouldn't we be doing some sort of crazy mental excercises now instead of typing bullshit on some damn piece of TECHNOLOGY?! or will our telepathic powers simply develope themselves?

But technology is such an EASY shortcut. Although, I notice telepathy more and more without even trying, it just sort of flows. I can read people that I have never even seen before... actually, 'read' is a bad word for what it is.... it's not like I am TRYING to read them, it just sort of flows to me at random... I guess 'pick up' would be a better way to describe it. It happens multiple times per day with people that I am around a lot, close friends... it isn't just me either, several people I converse with have been noticing things more.

OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
Re: Virtual reality [Re: DankVudu]
    #452971 - 11/09/01 01:50 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

But technology is such an EASY shortcut. Although, I notice telepathy more and more without even trying, it just sort of flows. I can read people that I have never even seen before... actually, 'read' is a bad word for what it is.... it's not like I am TRYING to read them, it just sort of flows to me at random... I guess 'pick up' would be a better way to describe it. It happens multiple times per day with people that I am around a lot, close friends... it isn't just me either, several people I converse with have been noticing things more.

I know a net acquaintance who couldn't control it because she would feel their emotions (good or negative). The inability to shield herself from incoming telepathic data wreck havoc for her..

BTW - could I ask you a question? :O)

KtP

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Virtual reality [Re: ArCh_TemPlaR]
    #453012 - 11/09/01 02:19 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I'm thinking we hook up a bunch of rocket scientists, hook them up to computers as well, and boom! We've got solutions to problems we never knew we had! Or Boom! We've got time travel. Once that is invented, Boom! We probably evolve or something because of the sheer intensity of what that would create. (It sure as hell wouldn't be like in the movies.) Think of what could be accomplished! That would be cool. Of course it could turn bad, but who cares, things are gonna turn bad anyhow. Nothing lasts forever.
Oh, and I think it's much more likely that these rocket scientists use technology than learning telepathy.

--------------------

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #453020 - 11/09/01 02:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

As a neuroscience major I can tell you that we are very very far away from direct mental connection between humans at this point. We only have the vaguest idea of how thoughts are represented neurologically, never mind figuring out a way to transmit these into another brain. The current theory is that a concept or thought is made up of a pattern of activation of many distributed neurons. Although in theory one can devise a way to make another brain feel this exact same pattern of activation, right now and probably for a long time it will be much more efficient to use language to explain your thoughts.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Virtual reality [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #453089 - 11/09/01 03:24 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Another problem might be comprehension. If you could transmit the same pattern to another brain, that brain might not recognize it. We are not the same as computers in that one programing language can be recognized by many computers. We are all "self programed". We have all learned things differently, and what you recognize as a "tree" thought, I might recognize as a "rape" thought, and freak out... But I still like the sounds of it, if it could somehow work.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Virtual reality [Re: Ulysees]
    #453677 - 11/10/01 02:39 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

What makes you think we are not all in our virtual reality machines right now. Maybe there was a power surge, and we cannot leave. Maybe we leave when we die and we get back to our real lives. Maybe we are in no machines, but we are mentally doing it. We have all come to a central physical location oh no gotta go :D bye

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Virtual reality [Re: tak]
    #453814 - 11/10/01 09:40 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing, but then I can be pretty paranoid these days.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Virtual reality [Re: Revelation]
    #453891 - 11/10/01 11:30 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

have you ever seen the 13th floor...its a trip like that

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
Re: Virtual reality [Re: tak]
    #454669 - 11/11/01 02:28 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Or it's a trip like in castaneda's books. We are trapped here in this place by malevolent beings and can't remember anything else... How's that for paranoia? :)

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

OfflineDankVudu
Re: Virtual reality [Re: Ulysees]
    #454722 - 11/11/01 06:38 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>Another problem might be comprehension. If you could transmit the same pattern to another brain, that brain might not recognize it

This is so true. The more I am around someone, the more I learn how to interpret their energy; nobody thinks the same way. However, I think basic emotions are felt in much the same way. For example, I have the exact same sentence just pop into my head that one of my close friends says 5 seconds later. My girlfriend gets all excited thinking about something she wants to buy, and then when she says "Guess what I am going to buy for us!", 9/10 times I just happen to "guess" exactly what it is. However, this very rarely happens with strangers; anything I pick up off of people I don't know well is more of a 'feeling' rather than a 'thought'. An example for this one would be when I was standing at the checkout line in wal-mart counting out my money. As I was looking through my cash, I thought to myself "This lady is going to be all pissed off when I make her break this twenty". So I am walking out of the store after getting my change and my g/f is going on about what a bitch the clerk was, that she was rolling her eyes and looking pissed the entire time I was counting out my money, and even more so when I gave her a twenty.... strange, huh? Not really, I'm used to it.

OfflineDankVudu
Re: Virtual reality [Re: ArCh_TemPlaR]
    #454724 - 11/11/01 06:42 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>I know a net acquaintance who couldn't control it because she would feel their emotions (good or negative). The inability to shield herself from incoming telepathic data wreck havoc for her..
BTW - could I ask you a question? :O)

Yes, this is known as empathy, a friend of mine has been cursed/blessed with it his entire life. He just recently learned how to shield. This phenomenon just recently(within the past year or so)started happening to me. I'm always up to answering questions...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates