Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains?
    #4414404 - 07/17/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What is the optimal nitrogen level for growing cubes. In TMC is calls for 1.5-1.7% in general compost recipies. Will more be beneficial?
What are the usual nitrogen contents of wheat and brown rice?
I got some dried blood which is 12% N but if the grain already has some N then this must be taken into account when I calculate how much to add to get the desired %N.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: blackout]
    #4414412 - 07/17/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Check with Diver. He had a post a few days ago about adding supplements(N). He might be able to give you a starting point.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

I know you don't want to get it too hot though.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: HippieChick]
    #4414487 - 07/17/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I read that post which led me to buy it. Organic stuff is hard to get where I am, I found some in a little gardening centre. I think agar was warning about adding too much.

Also if I calculate to add 1.5% it may be actually higher as it would be more concentrated on the outside of the grains, since it won't be absorbed perfectly. It may be a good addition to pf cakes where it is easily mixed in with flour.

InvisibleBoondock
Afoot andlight-hearted
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: blackout]
    #4414552 - 07/17/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

it is possible to spread "mad cow disease" thru the use of blood meal. It has been banned as a feed in the US by the USDA. Many farmers and home gardeners don't use it anymore because of this possiblity.

here's some links, that mention BLOOD MEAL (and bone meal)...

http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/bse.htm

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1206w.htm

http://www.nbc10.com/consumeralert/2980399/detail.html

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/0104/sc0104-madcow.html

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/fertilizer1804.cfm

I don't want to scare anybody, but Mad Cow, (aka BSE) is a really bad, brain eating disease.

here's a link to some alternative high N sources...

http://www.cbc-canada.com/grow/nutrientorg.html

--------------------
Look within.
Be still.
Free from fear and attachment
know the sweet joy of the way.
Buddha

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: Boondock]
    #4414595 - 07/17/05 11:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the warning and the links. I had seend the warnings in other threads too. My friend keeps rabbits, may hit him up for manure.

Here is a post by agar which says.
"Calculate the starting N content of pile to be 1.5 to 1.7% before composting. The starting N for a synthetic compost formulas may be slightly higher than the wheat straw horse manure formulas. The percent N will increase throughout Phase I composting and Phase II and at spawning time the N content of the compost should be 2.1-2.6 %."
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=3466237

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4414640 - 07/17/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha Hit your friend's rabbits up for blood! Take one of your syringes and get a nice syringeful!!

:rofl:

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4416734 - 07/17/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Could you use a pinch of Ammonium Nitrate? It is rated at "21" which is about as high as it gets for nitrates. Ya get it at large feed stores, if I was in Europe, I might just ask for a cup full, as if you buy a 25 Kg. bag and they don't know you, ya might have a lot of explaining to do. (Amm Nitrate is a dandy explosive) You could (in a pinch) buy garden fertilizer, pick the white balls out, add a tiny bit. It is really strong.

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: red914]
    #4416763 - 07/17/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, ya, If ya wants blood, go to a place where cows go in, burgers come out, take a bucket, they will give you all you want. Animal by product joints are another good spot, the ones that make mink food. Their blood will not be as "fresh" but it still flows. Ware old clothes! Take a bucket that seals! Maybe a small new gas can, it is even red! Don't be a pansy, do it! The smell will be gone in a day or two!

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: red914]
    #4416906 - 07/17/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Never use blood meal in substrates for a nitro boost. You're only asking for trouble. The substrate will run far to hot and will be a contaminate magnet. Seek good composted manures for a good alternative.

Edited by hotnutz (07/17/05 10:29 PM)

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4416948 - 07/17/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i have some in some pf cakes and they are growing like wildfire. only 4/28 contamed. all things concidered, so long as i don't get the twitches (mad cow disease), i think i'll stick w/ this stuff. i also use pig feed opposed to rice.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: Boondock]
    #4417005 - 07/17/05 10:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think it's been proven that the prions are bloodborn, but still, might be a good idea not to use it.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: phreedom420]
    #4417788 - 07/18/05 02:28 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Does sterilization kill the mad cow disease. I have 200g of wheat soaking in water and 200g in water with 40g of dried blood. I will grow them side by side and note the difference. Inject with the same LC in the same tub in a similar casing tray.

Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

#4417828 - 07/18/05 02:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Blood seems kinda crazy to me, maybe cause i dont eat flesh, but anyways...wormcastings are high in N to... Very high!!

And Worm castings dont have the same potential to "burn" your substrate.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

Edited by themills (07/18/05 02:59 AM)

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: themills]
    #4417836 - 07/18/05 03:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:shrug:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4417876 - 07/18/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Check out the link Boondock gave
http://www.cbc-canada.com/grow/nutrientorg.html
wormcastings looks pretty low.
Only bone meal gets the BSE warning, blood meal is right above it and has no warning. I seem to remember news stories warning against T-bone steak saying non-bone cuts were safer.
Coffee grinds are 2% N. I have got to try these next, you will have to knock the ph up with some lime, but I get spent coffee grinds free. They list hair as 14%! can it be used? I would expect it takes ages to break down.

Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

#4417925 - 07/18/05 03:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

RIght so pure Worm castings is %1 N and Blood meal is %12 and your going to add a lot more Castings than you would Blood. Justs seems easier to add a BUNCH of castings (so long as you use common sense and dont add way to many and make worm mud) that cant do any harm. You can only add a few tbps of Blood, or your mycelium is BURNED. Or you can add cups of castings and be safe, I just feel its a no brainer with castings and since your adding a lot more than blood, you dont lose much N content overall. Just my 2 cents :stoned:

this all also depends on what substrate you used to begin with.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: themills]
    #4418050 - 07/18/05 05:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have seen recommendations as high as 2.6%N for compost, so the worm castings could never get that high. I am sure it works very well, I have never come across it. I do all my work in the kitchen and don't want bad smells, thats why I have avoided manures before. Does worm castings smell much? I can get pelletized chicken manure but I hear the smell is terrible.

In another thread agar mentioned that blood is very high in tryptophan. I bought it now, I may as well use it.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4418159 - 07/18/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, you might as well use it now :wink:

Diver said in a previous post about only adding a teaspon or two...But I can't remeber if it was to every pound or every 5pounds lol...

But If you calculate correctly and don't go over board, then I wouldn't worry about burning the mycelium.

Everyone seems so worried about it, but i'm sure ya got it no prob. if you just add everything correctly. :thumbup:

I'll look up Diver's post and see if I can find it.

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Optimal Nitrogen Level, how much dried blood should I add to grains? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4418200 - 07/18/05 07:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think he was adding it to his straw soaking water. It is pretty expensive stuff, I didn't want to rinse it away. It can burn since it is strong and you can add a lot, those worm castings were only 1% so there is no way you could add too much. The problem with my calcs is that it is not evenly distributed in the grain, i.e. the grain surface will have more than the centre, so it may burn on that surface. It could be evenly added to PF jars. My jar is black now but the grains do not seem to be absorbing much. They will be soaking for a good while in it.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4418279 - 07/18/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

>I think he was adding it to his straw soaking water.

No, he was adding it directly to his poo..he doesnt use straw at all since he doesnt pasteurize. Grain already has a higher N content then poo I believe so youd want to add less if fruiting off the straight grain, I would think...who knows though.

I lika me worm castings.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale