Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Police
    #4403010 - 07/14/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I see many people here bashing cops because they are doing their J-O-B.
Police don't harrass people that don't break the law.

Why is there so much hatred directed at the police?

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Police [Re: niteowl]
    #4403033 - 07/14/05 10:12 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

1. It is fashionable to hate the police.
2. You don't hear about the murderers, rapists, an robbers that are arrested every day; only the drug users.
3. They are placed in a position of heightened authority, and people have a tendency to be threatened by authority, which leads to defensiveness.
4. This is a drug web-site. If it was a board frequented by less "deviant" citizens, feedback about the police would be much different.
5. Many people have a lack of knowledge or interaction with police officers. This leads to those people generalizing police officers as "evil" or "out to get you" because of the bad things they hear about them.

That's all I could think of at the moment. :shrug:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4403036 - 07/14/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That's not entirely true, as I have been harrassed by cops before while not breaking the law (just standing on the sidewalk).

But making a generalization that all cops are like this is not a good idea.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Police [Re: Redstorm]
    #4403058 - 07/14/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why people rightfully dislike the police:

(note that these apply to police officers in limited cases and does not stand for all officers)

1. Police officers are taught to be intimidating and to coerce a subject into consenting to searches.
2. Police officers commonly racially profile and hassle minorities for something as little as walking down the street at night.
3. They can often be too eager to use force.
4. Smalltown police have nothing better to do that drive around and try to bust parties that are doing no one harm.
5. Police excess brutality (especially in the case of minorities)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4403172 - 07/14/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have had several run ins with the cops. Most were related to someone else doing something wrong (I just happened to be there when it happened)

Not one time was I harassed. Unless you consider being asked a few questions harassment :shrug:

I was even involved in a hit and run, then a city wide chase around town by the police. I was in the front passenger seat, catching a ride home when the guy driving just lost all sense of reality. Once it was over, the police just asked me what happened, then let me go.

I see people in this forum bashing cops for doing their job constantly. If it weren't for a police force the crime would be INSANE.

Bad mouthing cops, just makes people look young and immature.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4403179 - 07/14/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I agree. I have never had any problems with the police. I just wanted to put both sides of the argument out there.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4403198 - 07/14/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:

Bullshit. Police will harrass people for having long hair, not being the right skin color, wearing the wrong clothes, being out at certain times, etc. I was once harrassed by a cop for taking a late-night walk. I was totally sober, nothing illegal on me, not breaking any laws. Police will harrass anyone who looks "suspicious," whatever they define that to be.

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4403235 - 07/14/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I see many people here bashing cops because they are doing their J-O-B.

I accept that a police force is neccessary. The problem is that officers take the job knowing the laws they will have to enforce. Since many of those laws are unjust they willfully take a job knowing they will have to enforce unjust laws. Some people say they are simply following orders. However they chose to take the job, they weren't forced to be a police officer.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Police [Re: Redstorm]
    #4403245 - 07/14/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Why people rightfully dislike the police:

(note that these apply to police officers in limited cases and does not stand for all officers)

1. Police officers are taught to be intimidating and to coerce a subject into consenting to searches.
2. Police officers commonly racially profile and hassle minorities for something as little as walking down the street at night.
3. They can often be too eager to use force.
4. Smalltown police have nothing better to do that drive around and try to bust parties that are doing no one harm.
5. Police excess brutality (especially in the case of minorities)

in addition, i find the police to be yet another reminder of our way of dealing with sociological problems - instead of looking to the root of them, and trying to fix things there (in the case of criminality, for example, poverty, crappy education systems, industries controlled by a top-down, nonparticipatory economic model, etc) - we deal with the symptoms so mr and mrs joe blue america can keep watching tv and ignore that there are problems out there. the same thing is seen with our military policies (ie attacking iraq now, while still supporting absolutely absurd dictatorial regimes/"free trade" policies that are going to lead to the same bullshitty problems developing again in some other 3rd world country), our approach to a 'welfare system', etc etc etc... the whole thing digusts me, and police, as a very real and very concrete example of this, remind me of my disgust daily.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Police [Re: Krishna]
    #4403263 - 07/14/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The number one predictor of violent crime rate is not poverty, race, education, or any of that shit. It's simply the male population, age 18-45. If you have a high portion of the population in that group, prepare for some problems.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Police [Re: Silversoul]
    #4403291 - 07/14/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
The number one predictor of violent crime rate is not poverty, race, education, or any of that shit. It's simply the male population, age 18-45. If you have a high portion of the population in that group, prepare for some problems.

but within the grouping 'male population, age 18-45' (a huge fucking group), aren't there some other sub-groups that are more 'predisposed' to crime? i don't necessarily only mean violent crime - but theft, drug-related crimes, etc...

--------------------

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4403433 - 07/14/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've met asshole cops who harrass people but i've also met plenty of good ones too, so i have plenty of respect for the police. I don't understand why the are constantly bashed here either. They have a very dangerous job and sometimes have to walk a thin line when it comes to personal safety, public saftey, and doing their jobs in an effecient manner, so that deserves respect.

They really piss me off sometimes though, and corrupt cops should be thrown in jail for a long time.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Police [Re: Vex]
    #4403483 - 07/14/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Corrupt cops are as big an abomination as corrupt politicians. We have both here in the Dominican Republic, and it's one of the biggest problems my country (and almost all third-world countries) has to solve.

Phred

--------------------

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #4403788 - 07/14/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why do you love the police so much? Have you been personally saved from a murderer or a robber by a cop?

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4403906 - 07/14/05 01:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have a question for Trendal and Paradigm.....
Quote:

trendal said:
That's not entirely true, as I have been harrassed by cops before while not breaking the law (just standing on the sidewalk).

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I was once harrassed by a cop for taking a late-night walk. I was totally sober, nothing illegal on me, not breaking any laws.

What was the nature of your harassment?

Did they just ask you some questions....
.....or was there more to it?

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Police [Re: 1stimer]
    #4403920 - 07/14/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

1stimer said:
Why do you love the police so much?

You sure do like jumping to conclusions don't ya.

Don't confuse respect with love

Quote:

Have you been personally saved from a murderer or a robber by a cop?

Anytime a criminal (murder, rapist, thief...) is taken off the streets....I feel that the police have done their job of protecting me.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4404067 - 07/14/05 02:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
What was the nature of your harassment?

Did they just ask you some questions....
.....or was there more to it?

Yes, they asked me questions: Who I was, where I lived, why I was out so late, etc. And then they searched me. The first time this happened, I just cooperated. The second time, ashamed of having forfeited my rights the first time, mentioned to them that I had a copy of the Constitution in my pocket(which I did), at which point they got very defensive.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4404082 - 07/14/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So asking questions is harassment?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4404114 - 07/14/05 02:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No, but detaining people who aren't doing anything wrong is.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4404178 - 07/14/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How did he "detain" you?
Did the cop take you to the station, for questioning?

I'm not sure that just stopping you and asking "Who/What/When/Where" could be considered harassment or detainment.

Sounds like a stretch to me :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order