Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Thoughts on Magick...
    #417160 - 10/07/01 05:44 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on magick, from whatever point of view you wish to take. . .

Time is not the killer... we are the killers of time.
mp3.com/spin-smk
mp3.com/smack
mp3.com/smk
mp3.com/suspicion37

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: Anonymous]
    #417676 - 10/08/01 05:51 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Okay this is basically where I stand on magick: I don't know very much about it, but if it lets me carry around a staff and grow a big white beard then I'm all for it. Yes, magick is good for the soul.

---
All living things go through time backwards. If the past is visible and the future is hidden, then you must be facing the wrong way.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: Revelation]
    #417688 - 10/08/01 06:04 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

:smile: when my hair turns white, I'm going to grow a fu man chu...

mp3.com/spin-smk
mp3.com/smack
mp3.com/smk
mp3.com/suspicion37

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
    #417786 - 10/08/01 08:00 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I think it depends on what kind of magick you are talking about. There's white and black, and all the shades inbetween. Your definition is important too. Is tarot magic? Or is it just a way of letting you interpret your current situation in another way?
I am unsure as to the effectiveness of ritual-based magick, but if it works, I think it gets a little too bizarre for my taste. Like people who think they are druids go out, sit in a ring and do rituals with flowers in their har etc. I don't think they have any idea of what the real druids really were up to. (not that I know either...), but there seems to be this inclination to go back in time in various circles. Most of them just make fools of themselves imho, as the real knowledge is long lost and what they do is just a crude carricature of the real thing based on romantic misconsceptions.

Then there are those of a darker persuasion. Most of you who have had a bad trip should be familiar with the notion of mischevious, or even evil spirits. People who try to invoce daemons, or do magic tricks rely on these spirits to do the things they ask of them. Example:
I read about a traveller who talked with a magician in egypt. He showed a magic trick where he held a small pencil and piece of paper in his hand, and asked him to think of a name. The magician opened his hand and the name was written on the paper. He said he had commanded(!) one of his servant spirits to read the name from his mind, and take lead from the pencil, and transfer it to the paper.
I am not sure, but ther might be a price to pay if you indulge with these kinds of beings, surely they don't do things like this for free? This was not very impressive, but I imagine one could achieve enourmous things if one had more powerfull spirits at ones command(?). Although the price would be equally higher I imagine...

I like the idea of magic as presented in Robert Jordans "Wheel of Time" series. It's more a mental thing, tapping into a force. As I said, I'm not very keen on creating talismans out of dead frogs buried in a heap of manure for a night (yes, I read that somewhere, can't remember what it was supposed to be good for though).

If anybody has read any of the discworld books by Terry Pratchett about the Witches in Lancre they should be familiar with the fact that words can be magic. Completely normal words. I actually believe that, you just look at what is accomplished with words that goes beyond normal communication. If you say the rights things you can get people to believe/do things. And I'm not talking about simply convincing people to do something. It's very hard to explain, and I'm just gonna create more confusion than I already have by trying more...

And there is ofcource the magic of the shamans, no further comment needed on that one I think... :)

Those were my quick thoughts on a little of what magick CAN be...

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have any experiences with chaos magik for example. Or any other kind (except those who are stage-magicians... :)

--
Perhaps you trust your eyes,
but can you trust what you lie your eyes upon?

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

OfflineDankVudu
    #417804 - 10/08/01 08:18 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I beleive that Magick, in the sense of doing rituals with candles, staffs, etc. is basically a way to control the energy that is everything. I am a follower of Psi; it is my belief that matter is condensed energy, and that it is possible to will this energy much the same way you will the energy flowing through your brain to move your muscles. To do this, you need a lot of focus and practice; magick is a good way to focus. It is difficult for some people to grasp the idea of simply imagining energy flowing around at your bidding. It makes it easier if you have something to focus your energy with.... Example:

"I call upon the power of this red candle to bring me love and happiness(more words and chants etc follow, constantly strengthening the belief that something is really going to happen)"

When what is really going on is the individual calling the power within himself to find what one seeks.... see what I am saying? A way to interpret the energy sort of. I guess it's kind of hard to explain if you don't beleive in chi/psi energy/ kundalini etc.

There's shopping malls coming out of the walls as we walk out among the manure

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: DankVudu]
    #418099 - 10/08/01 11:22 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you both for some excellent views. It's much appreciated.
DankVudu, your going right down the line that I am on right now. I've had some mild experiences with energy, or pure energy for a good catch phrase, and since I've been researching every aspect that would involve it.

In my eyes, rituals, spells, and chants (like you said "a way to control the energy") are built to help with the confidence that a spell is going to work. They help keep your mind focused on what it is doing... I guess you pretty much said that with the candle scenario.

Where's One Smooth Bitch these days... I'd really like to hear from her since I know she is in practice. Wicca if I remember right...

mp3.com/spin-smk
mp3.com/smack
mp3.com/smk
mp3.com/suspicion37

Offlineone_smooth_bitch
enthusiast
Loc: the boonies
    #419254 - 10/09/01 07:03 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hi Smack :)
well where do I start? LOL I dont consider what I call a spell majic, I consider it wish work, or as a Christian would call it a prayer. I belong to a local coven, and my first ritual circle was really odd for me and I can see how some might consider it strange, but we dont make asses out of ourself. Its all about raising energy and calling the elements of the world, asking the goddess for help, not just for yourself, but for the world and its people in general.
I get alot of flack I have noticed from people who seem to think that my particular path is very self absorbed, serving no one but me. I disagree, if that is the case so is any other main stream religion out there. No matter who we pray to or honor, dont we all ask "them" for help and guidence...so Wicca is no different.
Spells...well, no, they are not majic by no means in the dictionary definition. Its not like I can levatate, or change a person into a toad. Spells are a way of chanelling your energy to achieve a specific goal. I feel its not something anyone can just do. there are alot of factors and preparation, practice and sheer determination that make spells "work" and when they do... it may not happen right at that moment, it could take hours, days, weeks months or even years.
There are a great many spells that do have quick result, but most of that I tend to stay away from, just because I firmly believe in Kharma, and depending on the nature of it hopefully good, you will get back all the good you sent out...man I am rambling. ok, besides my rant... if you want a more clearly defined defination may I suggest "the witches voice", this page in particular ( http://www.witchvox.com/basics/wfaq.html ) here you will be able to get a better understanding on my particular path and even a more defined definition of majic and energy, how it is used etc. ( http://www.witchvox.com/basics/magic.html ) I hope I made some sence?
Blessed be
Merry part
OSB

dare to be different, prepare to walk alone

--------------------
The next time you want pussy, go look in the mirror baby...here kitty kitty kitty.....

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: one_smooth_bitch]
    #419261 - 10/09/01 07:16 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well thank you thank you. Oddly enough, I woke up out of a bad dream just in time to read this reply... I'm starting to suspect you.

What you said made perfect sense. Lately I have read a lot (and a little at the same time) about wicca in addition to everything else magick. But it was the wicca that made me want opinions... You have cleared up my question nicely. :smile: Not only that but you answered one that I never asked!

mp3.com/spin-smk
mp3.com/smack
mp3.com/smk
mp3.com/suspicion37

Offlineone_smooth_bitch
enthusiast
    #419274 - 10/09/01 07:33 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

thank you :) I am glad I was of some help, I am still very new and still very ignorant to ALLOT! but I have the basics down ;) and I just want to state to anyone who reads my posts about my chosen path. It is only my beliefe and my opinions, I am in no way shape or form trying to say my path is the one true path as most main stream religions may suggest. Every one has thier "God" or in my case "Goddess and God" I feel the main point that seems to be ignored when it comes to whom and what you choose to pay your devotion to in is this, we all need something to believe in, we need that certain something that makes life make sence, something to give us hope and faith, and it really should not matter if your are as me, Wiccan, Jewish, Buddists etc. As long as it works for you and you treat it for what it is and respect one another then that is all that matters. Because in the end, we really dont know what is going to happen.
OSB

--------------------
The next time you want pussy, go look in the mirror baby...here kitty kitty kitty.....

Anonymous

#419306 - 10/09/01 08:34 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Any takers on chaos?

mp3.com/spin-smk
mp3.com/smack
mp3.com/smk
mp3.com/suspicion37

Offlineone_smooth_bitch
enthusiast
    #419313 - 10/09/01 08:49 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

that isn't majic in my eyes,just illusion, mind games...
OSB

--------------------

Offlinelautir777_666
Stranger

Loc: CA
    #423875 - 10/12/01 07:28 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

The chaotic rite
dissolves into waking life
Dreams and purge
A lucid pleasure to scourge
A three made of six
opens a multiple thrice of seven for switch
Transfixed in limbo
in spiral of flow
Mind and body separate
yielding a topographical confluence
Integrate
Bountiful electromagnetic rotation
I am static
I am station
All to create
Void will and resuscitate
18 9
3 3
3 3
6 3
6 6
3 6
3 3
3 3
9 18
Bliss engenders visceral welcome
with tremors of wanton miasma
Boundaries are blurred within prurient
phantasmagoria
Wretched euphoria
It is necessary to cleave with knife
To accept process
Dismember
Reanimate Osiris through cycle
Reborn Remember
Two have I
Beset on either side
The other forever
I am middle pillar
Satan was God's greatest lover
Emerge asexual one
nOne is all
and brethren of

? ciaofi od rit comselha v manin de iad ?

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: lautir777_666]
    #423944 - 10/12/01 01:47 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ahh, that clears things up...

Offlineiudexk
Loc: UK
    #423990 - 10/13/01 09:16 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

"If you put the Christian bible out in the wind and the rain the pages will ruin and the words will be gone. Our bible is the wind and the rain."

--------------------
http://www.magickherbs.co.uk/

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: iudexk]
    #424001 - 10/13/01 09:33 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I like that...

Offlinelautir777_666
Stranger

Loc: CA
    #424200 - 10/13/01 02:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

There is nothing to clear up.
Relinquish the want to differntiate between "inside" the body and "outside" the body.

"There is no such thing as chaos...only infinite degrees of order."

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: DankVudu]
    #424213 - 10/13/01 02:38 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, then it just comes down to motives. magick is for babies.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: one_smooth_bitch]
    #424218 - 10/13/01 02:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

its not the same as prayer, because when you pray, you ask for help and you ask for God to do His will. That releases the person from worrying about motives.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #424219 - 10/13/01 02:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i suggest you stand for something before you become convinced that magick would ever be some good thing. what the person said is irrelevant. they have books, too. God is who laid down the tracks for the winds. why would you worship something that was made FOR you?

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on Magick... [Re: CACA]
    #424229 - 10/13/01 02:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Your jumping way ahead of me here...
In addition to everything else, I also read from the bible. I was taking it in terms of something like... If you strip your life down to it's minimum, what's left? Following me? I wasn't even thinking in terms of anti-christian or anti-bible.
I'll try to explain myself better in the future.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order