Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war
    #4125099 - 05/02/05 09:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2005/625/625p20.htm

IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war

Doug Lorimer

While nearly 100,000 Iraqis and 1600 US troops have died as a result of the Iraq war and tens of thousands have been severely wounded, the war has proven to be extremely lucrative for the Houston-based oil services company Halliburton and the San Francisco-based construction company Bechtel. These are the two largest private contractors to the US occupation forces in Iraq.

Iraq war and ?reconstruction? contracts helped Halliburton to turn a profit in the first quarter of this year, after the company suffered a loss of US$65 million in the first quarter of last year after paying out $4.2 billion in asbestos lawsuit settlements.

Until 2000, Halliburton was headed by US Vice-President Dick Cheney. On April 15, Cheney released his 2004 tax return. It showed that he received $194,852 in deferred payments from Halliburton, only slightly less than the $203,000 he earned as vice-president.

On April 21, Halliburton reported a net profit of $365 million. This is a dramatic turnaround from last year?s first quarter loss. Nearly a third of Halliburton's revenue ? about $1.5 billion ? now comes from Iraq-related work, principally through its Kellog, Brown and Root (KBR) engineering and construction unit.

KBR personnel were in Iraq within 72 hours of the US-led invasion on March 20, 2003, and KBR is the biggest contractor to the US military in Iraq, handling most support services from mail delivery to providing food for troops.

KBR was paid more than $3.6 billion by the US government for Iraq-related work in 2003 and $5.4 billion for such work in 2004. However, the company is being probed by several US government departments over whether it overcharged for services.

The April 12 Washington Post reported that ?Pentagon auditors have questioned $212.3 million ? about 13 percent ? of $1.69 billion that a Halliburton Co. subsidiary charged the government over the past few years, mostly for importing fuel to Iraq under a no-bid contract ...

?There also have been questions about KBR's performance under a separate giant logistics contract to provide troops in the Middle East with food, shelter and other supplies. Auditors found $1.8 billion in ?unsupported costs' in $10.5 billion in billings from that contract, which KBR won by competitive bid.?

The April 12 New York Times revealed that a new report from the US State Department accused KBR of serious cost overruns and ?poor performance? in its $1.2 billion contract to repair Iraq's southern oilfields.

Even more damaging to the company's credibility, on April 22 Inter Press Service reported that Henry Waxman, the top Democrat on the US House of Representatives subcommittee on government reform, said that Pentagon audits showing additional overcharges totalling $212 million had been concealed by US officials from the UN's International Advisory and Monitoring Board, set up to monitor the occupation authority's expenditure of Iraqi oil revenues.

?The evidence suggests that the US used Iraqi oil proceeds to overpay Halliburton and then sought to hide the evidence of these overcharges from the international auditors?, Waxman wrote in a letter to sub-committee chairperson Christopher Shays.

Halliburton claims it has performed well under difficult circumstances in the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq and that cost disputes ?are part of the normal contracting process?. But former Halliburton employees have alleged intentional and systemic scamming.

One former Halliburton employee, Mike West, told NBC News last July 26 that he was paid $82,000 a year to be a fore in Iraq, but never had any workers to supervise. ?They said just log 12 hours a day and walk around and look busy?, he said.

Another former Halliburton employee, Marie deYoung, who audited accounts for KBR, told NBC News there was no effort to hold down costs because all costs were passed on directly to the Pentagon.

A former US Army chaplain, deYoung produced documents detailing scamming even on routine services: $50,000 a month for soft drinks, at $45 a case; $1 million a month to clean clothes ? or $100 for each seven-kilogram bag of laundry. ?It?s just a gravy train?, she said.

On March 29, the second-largest contractor in Iraq, Bechtel, reported record revenue of $17.4 billion in 2004. It was company's second year in a row of record-setting revenue, topping its 2003 take by 6.4%.

The company did not provide a profit figure. Nor did it disclose the amount of revenue brought in by its work in Iraq, where it has been awarded over $1 billion in contracts to repair water, sewage and electrical plants. However, according to the March 29 San Francisco Chronicle, Stewart Scharf, a Standard and Poor's equity analyst who covers large construction companies, estimated that government services, including the company's work in Iraq, brought in the biggest share ? 35% ? of Bechtel's revenue.

The Chronicle added that Bechtel's ?civil infrastructure work ? which includes Boston's troubled Big Dig ? accounted for 29% of revenue in 2004. That $14.6 billion project, which Bechtel manages with another firm, has been plagued by cost overruns and leaks discovered in the highway tunnels running beneath Boston's downtown.?

Bechtel is not only being criticised for shoddy work in Boston. The April 10 Los Angeles Times reported that at least 40 water, sewage and electrical plants refurbished by Bechtel are no longer working properly. This includes all 19 of the electrical plants that have had US-financed repair work.

The LA Times reported that it had obtained an ?internal memo by coalition officials? stating that throughout Iraq renovated plants ?deteriorate quickly to an alarming state of disrepair and inoperability?. One US official involved in reconstruction projects estimated that ?hundreds of millions? had been squandered.

According to the LA Times report, ?Bechtel has turned over 20 water treatment plants and 24 sewage treatment plants to the Iraqis for operation. None is running properly.? As a result, the paper added, ?schoolchildren have to step over rancid brown puddles on their way to classrooms. Families swim in, fish from and get their drinking water from the polluted Tigris and Euphrates rivers, leading to high rates of child mortality and water-borne illnesses. People jury-rig pumps in their homes to increase water flow ? poisoning the water further by sucking sewage through cracks in the lines.?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Loc: nazi poland
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4125137 - 05/02/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

nevermind...

--------------------

Edited by roby000 (05/02/05 10:11 PM)

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war *DELETED* [Re: roby000]
    #4125188 - 05/02/05 10:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by roby000

Reason for deletion: retarded

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: roby000]
    #4125214 - 05/02/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

After you eat my shit and stop making assumptions, then maybe we can have a conversation. You've no idea what I'll be doing now do you? kthxbye.

How many times you going to edit your posts? I made a comment and deleted it because it wasn't applicable due to your edit. If you want to debate... by all means go for it.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (05/02/05 10:29 PM)

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

#4125227 - 05/02/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well your profile says monterey and says youll be enlisting... so yeah i did assume you wanabe that you would be a linguist especially with your (top secret) bull shit your SINGING about. you havent even been through basic yet have you. give me a ring when you get out of chicago... trainee

--------------------

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4125230 - 05/02/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hahaha wtf, what did he say before he edited? PM me.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4125236 - 05/02/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

roby000 said:
after you graduate dli then you can talk you wanabe linguist.

what did he say before he said this?

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: roby000]
    #4125245 - 05/02/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Give me a ring when you stop making assumptions, and stop using ad hominem's as you lack the intelligence to properly form a debate.

If you want to know PM me... we can get personal if you want, however it'll only make you look like a bigger idiot then you already do. Kind of like how you edited your previous assumptions...

The saying concerning assumptions is wrong... You only make an ass out of yourself.

Edit:
Read the comments associated with the secret clearance... I don't know if you realize what a joke is, however it is associated with my rating.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (05/03/05 02:52 AM)

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war *DELETED* [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4125254 - 05/02/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Something in regards to why I'm presenting it, what am I going to do about it. That it saves our future generations from attack, and that terrorists are destroying our way of life.

I countered and made him look like an ass, and hence his edit.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war *DELETED* [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4125326 - 05/02/05 10:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

alright, so i assumed what your job would be after reading your post and your profile and using what info i knew of the navy, you never said what you would be doing, however i work with alot of people like you who "joined for thier education" and they are not the best soilders sailors airman and marines ive met, they tend to be selfish arrogant pig headed civilians who put on the uniform on the weekdays and wait for thier four years to end. i see less of them now in the operational field because alot of them held that attitude and didnt make it out of training. if you dont believe me you will see for yourself. goodluck.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4125378 - 05/02/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, granted you are correct based on your circumstantial evidence... :whatever:

I have 6 years, and if you care to know the nature of my character, just read some of my posts.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war *DELETED* [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4125435 - 05/02/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i did and i agree with some of them... i did agree with this article too and i tried posting that but you deleted the post before i could post a reply which is why i deleted the first post i made and the second because we shouldnt get into our jobs here at this forum becuase of the fact that they are monitored most likely... i apologize because i spoke before reading... but you should probably consider not thinking that you are smarter than everyone if you want to make friends in those six years you have.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4125582 - 05/02/05 11:47 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This whole Iraq contracting thing has me pissed off.

When you are occupying a foreign nation you need to do what you can to make the local population happy. If you don't, guerilla war will occur and sympathy for it will mushroom amongst the locals.

Given the hardships that Iraqis have gone through, giving them consistent water and power would go a long way into bringing them "over to our side". Yet, I see reports of sporadic electricity and water service to most of the Iraqi population. It has been two fucking years. Why can't the most powerful military in the world and all of these well-paid contractors get the water and electricity facilities going?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4125602 - 05/02/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The fact that the "insurgents" keep sabotaging infrastructure might have something to do with that.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: Phred]
    #4125628 - 05/03/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

True. There has been sabotage. But, has there been enough to stop the richest and most powerful nation on earth from getting a proper amount of water and electricity to the population?

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4125705 - 05/03/05 12:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't  need to make friends, once again you assume that I'm arrogant, and making friends in a virtual, or an actual community is important to me.... perhaps you shouldn't make such baseless character assumption, you don't know me, nor how I live, nor how I treat others. I value intelligence, not petty personal attacks. If you wish to utilize those, then yes instead of debating, put simply I'll be cocky, which might be taken as arrogance.. :shrug: Image is unimportant.

Edit:
I am seen as arrogant by a lot of those that know me in "the real world", however its not my intention... but I generally come off that way as many mistake confidence for arrogance :smirk:.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (05/03/05 12:43 AM)

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4125713 - 05/03/05 12:19 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

We aren't attempting/trying to do it, rather then doing it... When the US is focused, and has a mission it gets shit done. Plain and simple.
Edit:
aret to aren't

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (05/03/05 12:29 AM)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4125738 - 05/03/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

While nearly 100,000 Iraqis and 1600 US troops...

Had to stop there. The 100,000 number has been thrown around for quite some time, clearly for its shock value. Why not 99,500? Its like when you set a price in your store, you set it at $9.95 and not $10.00 because $10.00 seems like so much more. I don't mean to downplay the horrible toll on human life that this war has caused but right off the bat I know exactly where the article is going and all the cliches I am sure to find in it.

As far as profiting off the war goes...its a high-risk environment so top dollar will go to whomever can get business done there.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: IRAQ: Making a killing: the big business of war [Re: Catalysis]
    #4125764 - 05/03/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4125806 - 05/03/05 12:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Very interesting and informational site.

Didn't have time to read every reference but it seems they make the most liberal estimate of casualties out of the 15 reviewed sources (at least it seems they combine them altogether). They estimate a max of 24,106 and a min of 21,239. Like I said, severe but not close to 100k. They seem to include all deaths caused by insurgents and foreigners attacking Iraqi civilians as well. Let me know if im missing something.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion