Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Flag Burning Amendment
    #357008 - 07/18/01 09:36 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The United States House of Reps has passed a bill to ban the desecration of the American Flag. This still has a long way to go before it would ever become a Constitutional Amendment but I was curious to see what others here think of this idea. I will refrain from commenting on it myself until I let others have thier say. I am curious what you think about it and I don't want to influence anyone ahead of time with my comments.

So, lets hear it. Good or bad idea? And why?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two wrongs don't make a right...but three lefts do!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #357015 - 07/18/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

in think its bullshit to me that flag isnt anything but another piece of cloth

i can believe its not butter but why would you do that

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

OfflineMOoKie
    #357016 - 07/18/01 10:09 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

At least they're going through the proper steps to make an amendment, not just subverting the Constitution.

I do think it's pointless to make an amendment stating you can't burn the flag, just another law we don't need. If I saw someone burning a flag I'd probably run over and put it out; and have some words with that person. But they shouldn't be locked up over it.

--------------------
"If it ain't one thing, then it's the other. Any cause that crosses your path; your heart bleeds for anyone's brother. I've got to tell you you're a pain in the ass."      Oingo Boingo!

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Loc: Atlantis
    #357025 - 07/18/01 10:24 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I used to believe that the flag is a symbol of our Country and should be honored and revered (To the Republic for which it stands ...). Punishment for desecration of that symbol was deserved.
Now I think that the flag only represents an idea. Desecrations of ideas are a form of communication, and we all have the right to communicate our own ideas - whether they speak out against our government or not. I feel that if someone wants to burn a flag they are only communicating his/her disapproval of our government and the only charges that could be filed would be involving a 'No Burning' ban or something similar.
I'm really curious as to your position ToTheSummit - I think we've had some disagreements in the past, and you always seem to be the only one to shake my beliefs the most.

Buzz

--------------------
Is the glass half-full or half-empty? I say it is both.

InvisiblePjS
Jack Of AllDongs

Loc: gototheshow dot com
We don't need no water.. [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #357128 - 07/19/01 03:05 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

This might be unrelated.

Two weeks ago me and friends burned an American flag at school. Out of sheer randomness. And I must say, damn it burned fast. Nearby junkies came by and looked. Some black guy said we didn't know what we were doing as we were kicking the flag through the city streets. We didn't really understand him as we weren't exactly sober. We also liked to burn Swiss flags on August 1st, independence day. It is a form of balancing out all the patriotism I think. That, and burning things is simply fun, entertainment for bored kids that don't want to huff gas. Especially so when it's symbolic like that.

Anyways..
I think it's pointless to ban flag burning. Put it down under freedom of thought or speech or something in that direction.

I want to open a shop in Teheran selling American flags optimised for good burning characteristics. Non-polluting preferrably.

Ebola is a wonderful thing.

--------------------

(Ped) Slavery leads to rebellion which leads to liquor store robberies, rap and hip-hop

OfflinePotSmokinHippie
Pothead

Loc: New york
    #357179 - 07/19/01 06:42 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Burning the american flag is a politcal statement, that is protected by the 1st amendment (freedom of speech). If this does get passed, watch how fast the supreme court will strike it down.

Outlawing the burning of a flag is just plain silly. Why don't they just outlaw any opposition to the american governent?? That's pretty much the same thing.

The thing people don't realize is that lions are very kind and gentle creatures, until they try to rip your head off.

--------------------
"assumption is the mother of all fuckup" - me

Anonymous

Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: PotSmokinHippie]
    #357255 - 07/19/01 10:50 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Pot Smokin Hippie pretty much covered my stance on the issue.

Thoughts follow my vision and dance in the sun

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#357278 - 07/19/01 11:31 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The flag is supposed to represent our freedoms, right?

If you make an amendment to protect the flag, you're actually undermining the freedom that the flag is supposed to represent.

As always, just my 2 cents.

http://www.captainjackmusic.com

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: Captain Jack]
    #357471 - 07/19/01 10:04 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

it seems like most the people in here have a good respect for each other and there opinions i think thats why i like this community so much sorry this is a bit off topic

i can believe its not butter but why would you do that

Edited by fuzzysquirelnuts on 07/19/01 11:05 PM.

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

OfflineIntox
journeyman
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: fuzzysquirelnuts]
    #357480 - 07/19/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

That law is bullshit,if they ever pass that law,I vow to set a huge american flag on fire infront of a police station and I'll put the flames out with piss and spit.

Offlinejihead
addict
    #357778 - 07/20/01 12:56 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

ever heard of the Alien-Sedition acts? made all bad-mouthing of anyone or anything inpower illegal. just a thought.

but if the senate does pass the bill (which they wont for the 100th time), i will burn a flag a day in front of a gov building until the amendment is signed in, then burn some more.

--------------------
kill white noise

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #357948 - 07/20/01 05:40 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I am refreshed to see the responses here. I was worried that there would be some support for this kind of legislation. I think most of what I would say about this has been stated so far. The US flag is simply a symbol of the freedoms bestowed upon us by the founding fathers when they drew up the constitution. Any attempt to restrict a persons right to protest, even if the protest consists of the burning of that flag, is a direct slap in the face to anyone who cares about our rights and freedoms.

Personally, I find it somewhat appalling when someone burns the US flag in protest while they enjoy all the benefits of living here. But if something as stupid as a 'Flag-Burning Amendment' were to be enacted I would feel the only appropriate form of protest would be to march right up the steps of the capitol and "sacrifice" a flag for our freedoms.

I doubt something this stupid would ever get enacted in this country and I have found that everywhere I go (including here so far) that I can find almost NO ONE who supports this. So why do those morons in the US Capitol vote to approve such an idiotic idea? I don't even see the political angle on this one. There is just not enough public support to warrant voting yes to something like this. Of course, trying to understand politicians is almost as tough as trying to understand women!! I'll never figure them out!! :)

If anyone out there supports this then I would love to hear some reasons why. I can't come up with any good ones myself....

Two wrongs don't make a right...but three lefts do!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#358280 - 07/21/01 11:27 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Actually you guys, the Senate has only been a few votes short of passing it. Of course, it also takes 3/4 of the states to pass an amendment too (I think - been awhile since government class)

http://www.captainjackmusic.com

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Offlinezetek
enthusiast

Loc: United States
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: Captain Jack]
    #358424 - 07/21/01 04:54 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The Republicans have introduced this legislation on 4 occasions since they took control of the House in 1994. It's mostly just a political stunt; they can point at the Democrats that vote against it and accuse them of being pro-flag burning. It never gets through the Senate.

Support the Free Spore Ring!
go.to/FreeSporeRing

Edited by zetek on 07/21/01 05:55 PM.

OfflinePrivate_Shroomer
Stranger
Loc: Washington
    #358461 - 07/21/01 06:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

It is interesting the viewpoints that are conceded here indeed. Lest we not forget the respect issues that are involved for those who fight and die for the same freedom that this flag represents. There are other ways to express your opinions than burning the flag. How many died and came home with that same flag draped over their coffins and then given to their families for your rights. Find other ways to express your political views.

OfflineAnother Failure
Stranger
    #360818 - 07/25/01 04:45 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

First of all PSH, opposing the government IS outlawed. Treason carries the death penalty in pretty much every nation of the world (that has a death penalty).

Secondly, the Supreme Court is not going to strike down this amendment. The point of amending the constitution is so that the SC can'_ strike it down. They can only support the Constitution; amending it is Congress's job. If it were just another law, it would violate the free speech and be shot down. You make an amendment out of it, though, and the Court's hands are tied.

--------------------
"What good's the free market done you lately?"
--Evan E.

Offlinesurfacing0
Loc: Utah
    #362828 - 07/29/01 04:05 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I would have to agree with Captian Jack the most when he said:
If you make an amendment to protect the flag, you're actually undermining the freedom that the flag is supposed to represent.

Thats the perfect way to put it, if this ever passes then what will be next? Charging someone with treason for not reciting the pledge of allegience, or taking their hat of during the national anthem at baseball stadiums. That does seem farfetched but so does this proposal, its rediculus, and I really can't find a good argument for the other side here.

~Prying open my third eye.~

--------------------
~Prying open my third eye.~

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: surfacing0]
    #363531 - 07/30/01 11:50 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

my father is a vietname vet, after he came back he had very much pent up energy for this sort of national allegiance. He started painting. He made HUGE paintings. One of them has a big american flag mangled and burned and torn draped across the top. It was called the truth, it had small pictures of vietnamese mothers and children crying, dying, and bleeding to death in rain and mud. It is his right to express himself anyway he wants, I personally think the burning of the flag is a very symbolic thing, one that if it is taken away other less symbolic(possibly more important) things will be slowly taken away. Government should watch themselves.

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

OfflinePotSmokinHippie
Pothead

Loc: New york
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: Another Failure]
    #364590 - 08/01/01 05:46 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Opposing the government by saying "I think the American government sucks", I think not. I meant opposing by speech, not spying or somthing like that.

Humm. There's got to be a way that the constitution can't contradict itself. Even if not, I doubt we'll ever see this become an amendment. And if it does, I'll be the first to organize massive flag burning rallies.

I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
- Isaac Asimov

--------------------
"assumption is the mother of all fuckup" - me

InvisibleBeery

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Flag Burning Amendment [Re: Private_Shroomer]
    #365611 - 08/02/01 01:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

"...How many died and came home with that same flag draped over their coffins and then given to their families for your rights. Find other ways to express your political views."

Can't you see that burning a flag is also a symbolic gesture? It symbolizes that American ideals are being destroyed. Burning a flag is the best way to symbolize the destruction of American values. The act is not anti-American, nor is it anti-veteran, or anti-flag. When American values come under assault, burning a flag is the ultimate expression of solidarity with those who died for American ideals. If you can't see that, you'll always allow the powers that be to undermine those ideals.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We suggest that you resist all advertisements,
and be wary of any corporation's promotions.

--------------------
We suggest that you resist all advertisements,
and be wary of any corporation's promotions.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags