Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineqwon
destroying angel
making a casing with hepa
    #3568744 - 01/01/05 08:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i read that it is good to work in the wind of a hepa. i want to do a rye casing with peat/verm....any suggestions?

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: qwon]
    #3568859 - 01/01/05 09:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've use a hepa with a 90qt. box. Don't know if you can see inside the box? Getting ready to make spore syringes.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: KaptKid]
    #3568977 - 01/01/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Get a LARGE clear case like above... possibly taller. Flip it upside-down and cut a 3" hole in the top. Use some cheap flexable laundry hose twisted inside the hole, possibly add a cloth over the hose before you twist the hose into the hole, (That will add a little resistance, and help steady the air-flow.) Hook the other end onto the grill of your hepa, near the center. (Bent coat-hangers work great for this.)

Now, when you want to work in it, just slide your hands inside the "Turtle Shell" (Upside-down) container. Let it rest on your arms, or prop it up with a book. That is the cheapest way to do it, that I have seen.

If you don't want to cut a hole, just stuff the pipe inside. Use it as the thing that props it open, between your arms. Just make sure it is aimed up towards the top, and extends about half way up towards the top.

Don't forget to run it for about 10-30 min. before you use it. That will ensure that the air inside is only filtered air.

I am getting ready to flip all my fruiting chambers upside down, for better light and easy fruit harvesting... I hate trying to reach inside a container that I can't see through.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3569170 - 01/01/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

nice setups.... thx for the responses...
i'm strapped for space and dont think the gf could keep me anylonger if i got yet 'anotherrr' tub.... but this is what i will do in the future..thx for the tips..

--------------------
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3569892 - 01/02/05 03:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Make sure its a TRUE HEPA too..not just 99.9%, 99.97%....otherwise you'll be doing more harm then good working in the airflow of the HEPA and will be better just shutting off all airflow (AC, fans ect).

Casing is the least of the times when a glovebox or flowhood is needed IME casing can be done just about anywhere as long as simple cleanliness procedures are followed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3569916 - 01/02/05 03:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

scat, not sure what you mean by 'true hepa' - i actually bought this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.g...3A14503%3A52229 :thumbup:

--------------------
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3569989 - 01/02/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"This purification system is quiet and provides 99.97 percent filtration."

TRUE HEPA.

Some "HEPA products" work on a 99% or 99.9% filtration. It may not seem like much but when your talking microns its all the difference in the world and you need 99.97% or better or your better with a no pressure glovebox then a regular glovebox.

With that HEPA you can just turn it on its side and work on top of it and do whatever work you want. The upflow of filtered air won't allow any contams to fall on whatever your doing.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3570079 - 01/02/05 05:03 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

LOL....some that CLAIM to be a HEPA....... operate at 95%.... which is worthless.

Other cheaper portables sometimes have 99.97 filter ratings, but the filter is cardboard cased & does not fit in the assembly TIGHT to any thick rubber backing (front & back - or top to bottom). Which leaves 1/16th (or more) of an inch space for UNFILTERED air to pass through (again worthless - unless you TAPE it in).

Shop around hard & eyeball any HEPA that interests you, to insure it is up to snuff.

Once you have the SPACE & PRIVACY..... build a 99.97 Hepa filtered laminar flowhood. My foaf's is big enough to hold a AA 941, impulse sealer & still have work area left inside it.

Edited by agar (01/02/05 05:53 AM)

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: agar]
    #3595255 - 01/07/05 09:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Score I picked up a huge hepa honeywell unit used today for 60 bucks, that does 99.97%. The thing is circular but I am sure I will be able to work something out. You would think that if you ran a hepa unit in a room for long enough it would achieve the same affect as the glove box? I could easily set the unit on high, and then work right next to it as this thing really blows, lol. I suppose I could just make a box that has an enterance on the top side so it blows air in, but man I would love to just use a room for the freedom. I was thinking of turning my closet into a clean room instead. I could just seal the room, or seal a small area of the room with plastic or something that holds, and place myself, a chair, hepa filter, table and supplies, and sit in the small room for 20-30 minutes reading then goto work. I guess it would be slightly more expensive to make cover yourself in a plastic box, and you would have to be concerned with air coming in and going out I guess since your going to need fresh o2 or you would pass out, lol.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: making a casing with hepa [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3595276 - 01/07/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

try cleaning all the surfaces in the room you're working with with bleach/alcohol and running the hepa in there for an hour. you'll cut down contams quite a bit, but you still need a glove box/flowhood for agar/g2g.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
    #3595336 - 01/07/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well the design I was thinking of, was the room that is sealed as well has an flow hood, which brings in fresh o2 to breath as well while another fan is established on the ground to remove used air and excess Co2. What about this guy above whom seems to be doing the same thing I am thinking without the flow food and seems to have success. I plan on doing agar soon and in readings of agar cultures it seems success has been achieved by just wiping down the surface area with bleach and having no moving air, or as minimal as possible. Of course bleaching a room, using a hepa flow hood would seem to me to be necessary. I will take a picture once I am done with my setup, thanks for helping me sort it out inside my head here guys. I really love message boards, people help people it works so well.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation