Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemagnusra

Making casing pin?
    #320913 - 05/19/01 03:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Alright people. When the casing layer (coir) is colonized (Well when the little white threads of mycellium are coming through just about the entire casing surface, it isn't grown over just coming through) What should I now do? The current conditions are as follows RH 98%, temp. 74 deg. I did not wrap the casing in saran wrap at first like I should have, it went straight into the terrarium. I have been giving it light. So what should I do to initiate pinning?

Thanks in advance.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
Re: Making casing pin? [Re: magnusra]
    #320918 - 05/19/01 03:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

well, your conditions are about right for pinning--keep fanning, a light source for at least a few hours every (many people say 12/12), keep the humidity up around or above 95%, and the temps around 76 degrees F. be patient.

--------------------

OfflineWhereAbouts
enthusiast
Loc: WhereAbouts
    #320920 - 05/19/01 03:14 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

wait ;). thats really all there is to it now. the temp is fine, and you really dont even need to wrap them in syran wrap first. i dont anyway, and i get pretty good results. instead of wraping them in syran wrap first i just dont fan as much when they are in the terrarium. thats all there is to it

as far as the pins go there is only waiting. you are doin everything fine, but if you still dont see any signs of pins at about week and a half mark from now, then deep scratch your casing surface and spray it. try to hold off on that though until at least a week and a half with no results. good luck to ya with the whole thing ;)
Later

"One toke you poor fool...wait til you see those god damned bats."

--------------------
"One toke you poor fool...wait til you see those god damned bats."

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #320928 - 05/19/01 03:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

whereabouts--i agree with the no-plastic wrap policy. when i have had troubles with contams, it has often been because of the conditions created with a plastic wrap. certainly use a lot of holes if you use plastic, but in small aquarium-type set ups, the covering doesn't seem to matter as much--just less fanning.

--------------------

Offlineshroomeatindude
journeyman
Re: Making casing pin? [Re: WhereAbouts]
    #320929 - 05/19/01 03:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with whereabouts. Everything sounds good as is. The main considerations at this point are: some light; temp around 75 deg. F; and as much humidity as possible (95% or more) while also giving as much FRESH AIR as possible(this is #1 concern).

-Shr00meatind00d

--------------------
-Shr00meatind00d

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Making casing pin? [Re: WhereAbouts]
    #320930 - 05/19/01 03:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys. I do have a concern though, the casing has always had excellent air exchange since it was in the terrarium (It's using a 24/7 cool-mist). Is that a problem.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Offlinemagnusra

#321659 - 05/20/01 03:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Also could I just wrap the casing in saran wrap and place in the fridge for 12 hrs. or so to initiate pinning?

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #321696 - 05/20/01 04:14 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The simple truth is they will pin when they`re good and ready. Mist daily until you see pins, then stop. Air exchange 2 -3 times a day. These things take time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation