Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
casing, pinning, using terr. as casing container
    #377263 - 08/23/01 06:22 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hey was wondering if this would work, my rubbermaid is rougly 2 feet by 2 feet, length width, and about 2 feet deep, could I use this as the casing box, like just lay some verm down, then put the casing on, and then cover the whole thing with verm, would this work as a casing container, I mean I've always seen people put like cassarole dishes and shit as container, THEN put it in the terrarium, why couldnt you kill two birds with one stone and make the whole fucking thing the casing container? Help me!!!

peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: casing, pinning, using terr. as casing container [Re: thegoldenteacher]
    #377285 - 08/23/01 06:48 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah that would would work, but...

- your casing would have to be pretty big.
-if anything gets contaminated, say good-bye to the WHOLE thing...
- humidity will be hard to control.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #377309 - 08/23/01 07:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe you could hang some bags/nets of perlite from the sides, for constant humidity, and mist them periodically to keep them wet.  Let me know if you try this; I like the "giant casing" idea :smile:

I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
    #377321 - 08/23/01 08:01 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Recently i have been using just styrophome coolers i got for 49cents each, they work well. I make verm casing with about 3 - jars of substrate, just mist and fan them. When pinning i mist daily on the side of the container. Humidity keeps pretty good. Althought ilive in an area that has high humidity in general tho.

So yer setup should work. You could make seperate casing s in the same container, or one big one. Only thing to worry about, as mentioned above, getting the creepen crud.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineTheShroomster
journeyman

Loc: Utah
Re: casing, pinning, using terr. as casing container [Re: baraka]
    #377388 - 08/23/01 09:33 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

hey buddy,

for your info, usually the large casing like the one you want to try are used with spawned compost and wet peat / lime casing.

if you are using brf substrate a smaller casing is sugested. becuse there is less food for the shrooms and the suface area to volumn ratio is greater.

with a large casing the chances of contams are greater and if it goes bad you could loss the entire casing. if your have plenty of experience give it a try and let us know the results.

hope this could help

--------------------
        ***** Margaritaville*****
Wasted away again in Margaritaville,
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
( Jimmy Buffett ):crazy: 

Offlinebakdorman
    #377461 - 08/23/01 11:38 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I have been kicking this same idea around also , I have a container that is 37"L x16.5"W and 7" tall,not sure about the humidty though, was thinking about using a big layer of perlite under the casing, ...casing some colonized millet with compost or dung maybe...and then maybe some coco fiber on top, sounds like that stuff really holds the moisture in.

also if there was away to keep feeding the substrate nutrients and moisture like a plastic pipe that goes down just under the substrate and branches off, and has a bunch of tiny holes in it, kinda like a feeder tube, do you think it would increase fruitng and give more flushes???

The Federal Government Prohibits..........

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: casing, pinning, using terr. as casing container [Re: bakdorman]
    #377645 - 08/24/01 06:56 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

It would be very hard to continuosly feed a cake/casing more nutrients without getting anything contaminated...

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #377688 - 08/24/01 09:02 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

with my ultrasonic humidifier, the humidity is at 90-93% all the time. with the humidity at the right level (where i have it) there are puddlus of water at the bottom of the terrarium, and about every week i have to get some paper towls and get it all out. that is why it wont work very well. youd get the first flush if youre lucky (it will take more than a week) and after that the lake at the bottom of the terrarium will fuck shit up. if you use perlite (which im guessing that you are) then the same stanky air/humidity will be used over an over again, also leading to less flushes because of contamination. just by some aluminum loaf pans and case in them!!! it works well, and i can say that because that is what i use. just by the three by eight ones (i think that is the right size) and this is enough to make a two cake casing. just make sure the layer of verm at the bottom isnt too big, or you wont have enough room for the rest.

one plus one plus one equals three

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom