Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 5-HTP, DXM, Kava Kava, St. John's Wort

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Alternative medicine and depression
    #3526949 - 12/21/04 10:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey everyone;

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for quite a while. I was on Prozac for about 9 months, but I came off it. Since then, I've had a minor relapse. Can anyone reccommend any alternative remedies for depression? (e.g. Herbal supplements, acupuncture, etc.?) I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks guys.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekrin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: OJK]
    #3526970 - 12/21/04 10:17 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

change your life, what you do, how you talk to people, and how you think about things
spontaneously transform

thats my 2 cents

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: krin]
    #3527577 - 12/21/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, that works great for people who don't have a chemical imbalance in their head.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleHendostan
Male

Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: tomk]
    #3527671 - 12/21/04 02:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://exchange.healthwell.com/nutritionsciencenews/NSN_backs/feb_99/depression.cfm?path=ex
here's just one link, among many i found by searching google...i'm kind of in the same boat, i used to take lexapro, welbutrin, and klonopin, but have been off them for about a year. i think they fucked me up worse than i was before, it's still a daily struggle sometimes to keep my head above water. i basically just try to stay healthy and do anything i can to keep from falling into a depression rut in the first place. it can be as simple as eating right and getting enough sleep, exercise helps a lot too, even just going for a walk. try to stay active socially, take up some hobbies, and i find that a nightly regimen of weed helps my mood as well :tongue2: try some herbal supplements and vitamin & mineral therapy, and do your best to make it another day! you will turn it around eventually, all things must pass. peace :peace:

Edited by Hendostan (12/21/04 02:31 PM)

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3528109 - 12/21/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

try some saint john's wort. i dont have any personal experience using it, but i know peeps who have and they say it works for moderate depression.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
    #3528252 - 12/21/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

One of my buddies was taking 5-HTP for awhile and swore by it. You might want to give that a try

Offlinekrin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: PoopShooter]
    #3528356 - 12/21/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

in my experience people with the "chemical imbalance" have solved thier problems with alternative ways rather than just taking pills,so i apologize that i dont believe in the "chemical imbalance" and suggest that you actually face your problems

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3528429 - 12/21/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's tough for anyone to give advice for general depression. You should tell us far more without overdoing it.

In general there are basic things to know about depression:
1. Physical exercise can only help your mind (assuming you don't trip or run into a truck on your jog)  :smirk:
2. Abstaining from depressants can only help. (Alcohol is a depressant. It will stimulate depression in many instances).
3. Being around the wrong crowd will only hurt. All of us have to work or go to school with people that drain us so this part you have to manage with some skill, but as far as friends go be careful who you choose.
4. What goes in does go in. Careful what you listen to as far as music goes. Remember that Nirvana unplugged album? A lot of us got really, really, really, really depressed after listening to that one too many times. Its great music and its grately depressing.
5. Read uplifting books.
6. Avoid the news until you get your act together. The news is truly sorrowful.
7. Avoid TV shows that bring you down. Avoid movies that could bring you down.
8. Do not eat a lot of sugar. You'll end up happy for 5 minutes and bummed for 45.
9. Do not drink a lot of anything except bottled water.
10. Avoid too much meat in your diet. It slows your digestive system down and slows you down. Eat natural foods: grains, fruits, vegetables, fruit juices like organic apple juice.
11. Make sure your digestion is healthy (that you poop enough). Constipation sucks. PSILLIUM HUSK SEEDS help big time. You can buy a container from vitamin shoppe among other stores.
12. Make sure you are making at least some progress in life. Make a couple of simple goals and hit them. Start conservative and work your way up.
13. Lay off the smoke.
14. Do one thing today that will make you at least somewhat happy temporarily. Remember what this one thing is and see if you can build around it.
15. Give. Its better to give than to receive. The next time you see a homeless guy give 'em a buck or two and don't be a pansy and act all scared or pissy toward 'em.
16. Look at people with compassion instead of spite. Society is far from where it should be to many of us. We still have to work with the society we live with.
17. Make peace with the Earth.
18. Make peace with the people.
19. Make peace with the Lord.
20. Make peace with thyself.

And send me a couple bucks in the mail too. This month's been tight, brother.  :smirk:

I tried to make you smile in case you didn't notice.

Hope this helps.

Invisiblemrhowdy
I've been Insane
 User Gallery
Loc: I've Been Insane
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: World Spirit]
    #3530188 - 12/22/04 02:32 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i was on zoloft for 6 months i was doing great then the dr put me on prozac becuase of the fda antideprssant warning i was only on prozac for 2 days because i felt like shit those two days were hell i felt like i had gone back to before i had taken the zoloft it was terrible

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#4622878 - 09/05/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sam-E is also great (so I hear), and has many health benefits besides fighting depression. It's a little on the expensive side, though.

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4623073 - 09/05/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, Im really pretty desperate at this point. I don't want to go back on antidepressants.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleNeon
Stranger
Male
    #4624058 - 09/05/05 10:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My depression was pretty ugly for awhile, and I was also suffering from agorophobia and anxiety. For example, I would cry for 10 mins or so almost every night because my cat was getting old, it was around 16 years old with no health problems. I just couldn't believe something so innocent was going to die in a few years.

Anyway, I started using Kanna (Sceletium Tortuosum). I chewed it in a peice of gum. First day I tried it the depression virtually dissapeared, I didn't cry about the stupid cat that night and I never cried about it ever again. The anxiety was also 80-90% gone at that point.

After two weeks of use I left the house for the first time in about a year. Went down to the mall, it was quite the experience. I realized how much I had in common with everyone else and felt a connection with the rest of the human race. I've been going out almost every day since then.

I felt ten times better after using kanna. I used it for about two months. Surprisingly, when I quit using, I felt even better. It's been atleast four months since I stopped using kanna. Things are still going great, I'm finally making some progress in life. I tried zoloft, it worked ok while I was using it, although it made me alittle crazy, but after I quit using it the depression returned.

Kanna changed my life, it's the most impressive substance I've come across. I would recommend that anybody suffering from severe anxiety, particularly social anxiety, depression, or even substance abuse do some serious research on kanna.

InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: Neon]
    #4624845 - 09/06/05 10:32 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

when i get stressed out here are things that help me out:

1) thinking about how worse off people are on other parts of the world, and how lucky I am for what I have. In general unless you live in a violent war torn or disease ridden country, you have everything you need in life right now to be your happiest, you just have to take the time to notice and appreciate it.

2) Weed and / or Psychedelics. Weed to relax and chill, psychedelics to reflect on the life I am leading and to invent ways to improve my life... after all no one else is gonna invent this shit for ya :wink:

3) Video Games. Been hooked on WOrld of Warcraft for awhile now, fucking sweet online game. Careful it can take up a lot of your time :smile: theres tons of computer games n shit out there try those out

4) Physical acitivity. I think if you dont work your body out at least a few times a week it is only natural to feel shitty... trust me on this one, cant stress how important and closely linked mind and body are. feed your body exercise , it will reward your mind.

5) Get a book called Handbook to Higher Consciousness. If you read this book and understand it, you will see how easy it is to acheive happiness in everyday life.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: TacticalBongRip]
    #4624866 - 09/06/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Don't know if its has been mentioned yet, but Kava Kava is AWSOME for the blues.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: Tien]
    #4626318 - 09/06/05 06:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

There's quite a difference between 'the blues' and people who are seriously depressed constantly.

What Locus said applies to me also. Meds fucked me up worse than I was before I used them. Saint John's Wort was pure crap and had ZERO affect (though I'm considering switching brands to see if it makes a difference), ginkgo biloba has had zero affect, et cetera.

Now you can try the previously mentioned meds, physical activities, social activity, herbs, et cetera at your on disgression, but I think there is no hope for some.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: Society]
    #4627138 - 09/06/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I totally feel you. I've been procrastinating going back on antidepressants because that's just not an option considering what it did to me, yet i still find myself considering it because of how bad this problem is. And I'm not getting anywhere while I'm doing nothing or using things that don't work, which is everything. It just seems like there is no way out, no matter how hard I look.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: Locus]
    #4629353 - 09/07/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Funny you say that, because I was having very similar feelings around a year ago or so.

I hate anti-depressants, and they have fucked me up too. They give me a feeling of artificial happiness, which is NOT what I want.

For me, I found that a regime of good exercise, good diet, enough sleep, spirituality, and occassional drugs has really helped lift me out of the pit of depression.

However, what REALLY did it for me was the first time I used MDMA. I had an almost life changing experience, and finally experienced true happiness and joy at being alive. Ever since then I haven't really been depressed.

You might want to consider trying it if you haven't already.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: dblaney]
    #4630170 - 09/07/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I actually thought about using MDMA just for that purpose because I've heard of the same thing happening with some other people as well. And really I've been very eager to try it. But I have no hookups for it! If you want to come and give me some or join me in having some with me then that would be great :wink: No but really, yeah I do have hope that something like mdma would help me and if not it's worth a try if not just for a good night or something. Another possiblity that could be problematic is that if there was dxm in it that i wasn't aware of i would be fucked... i have some kind of allergy/hypersensitivity type shit with dxm and it makes me feel hellish even off the slightest amounts. other than that though i would definitely take your advice and try it. i just wish i could find some, and find some that's pretty pure as well.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Alternative medicine and depression [Re: Locus]
    #4631254 - 09/07/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Do you live anywhere near a city? If so then chances are you live near a nightclub of some sort. If so, then chances are they have raves or dance parties there. If so, then chances are there's ecstasy there :smile:

If you get a testing kit, you can test to make sure there's no DXM present.

Other than that, I'm sending good vibes your way (are you on the E. Coast?)

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4631504 - 09/07/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

DIET is the first thing to consider. Are you eating enough RAW WHOLE FOODS? Fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, plenty of water. Many of these will not only help to clean out your system and make you healthy in general, but many also have natural anti-depressants. Lots of water, lots of fruits, lots of vegetables, lots of grain.

Avoid any fried/processed/packaged foods. Avoid sugar. Use honey instead.

Exercise, sunshine, and fresh air are vital to maintaining a positive and healthy mental and physical status. Make sure you get at *least* 20-30 minutes of sun per day, preferably with some mild exercise and fresh air (walking uphill is good)

The following herbs are very helpful in depression - Licorice, St. John's wort, Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), Siberian ginseng, Basil, Ginger, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Kava Kava, Oat Straw, Lavender, Gentian

I would recommend you take St. John's Wort and Ginseng on a regular basis

Feel Good Herb Tea

This tea encourages a feeling of well-being

3 Parts lemon balm herb
1 part Lavender flowers
1 part Rose petals
1 part Spearmint tea
1 part St. John's Wort
1 part marjoram
Vanilla honey to taste

Mix the above herbs and flowers in a bowl. Store in a glass jar. To prepare the tea, use 1 to 2 teaspoons of herb per cup. Pour hot water over herbs and allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Flavor with honey or lemon if desired. Drink up to three cups per day.

Also very important.. is your mental attitude. Don't get discouraged easily. Stay positive. Meditate. Be at peace with your body.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 5-HTP, DXM, Kava Kava, St. John's Wort

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being