Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related)
    #4258228 - 06/05/05 12:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone

Just last night I finally came to terms with some problems that have been plaguing me for a few years now.

I grew up as a very happy, energetic, outgoing kid. Around the age of 15 I started becoming more withdrawn from my family, and started having increased anxiety. I would spend a lot of time alone, despite my new surge of friends. Started having less energy, not always wanting to do stuff, etc. Around this time my grades started to slip (pure lack of motivation) This continued for awhile (with more family withdrawl) and I've kind of blocked it all out and ignored it for a couple years.

Now here I am, realizing everything I've missed. I realized that I can't even be me anymore. I was out at an arts festival down town last night, and was watching my friend dance and smile and get into the music and drum circle. I thought to myself.."Wait, this (the art festival) is me, I should be having fun, why can't I have fun?! I want to enjoy this, but I can't! What is wrong with me??"

I realized that this is how my life has been for quite a while. I should be enjoying myself a lot more than I am. But I can't. Instead, I walk around like some sort of emotionless lazy guy that doesn't talk or seem to be enjoying himself a whole lot. I spend a lot of my time in my room, away from my two great parents and my sisters...sitting on my computer doing nothing all day, and usually into the night.

So I need to do something now. I think I need to see a therapist, or get on some meds, but first I'm going to try a natural-ish route. Now I really don't know if this is what I need, but I'm going to start myself taking St John's Wort, 5-HTP, Fish Oil, and Valerian.

Will this help me out? Do I need to see a therapist or will I be okay with the herbs?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help. Feeling kind of lost here..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: ]
    #4258257 - 06/05/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

St. John's Wort has been shown to be effective with mild depression, but that's about it. How bad is your depression, if you don't mind me asking? Do you constantly entertain notions of suicide and even make plans for suicide, along with feelings of total hopelessness? If so, I highly recommend seeing a Psychiatrist and Therapist.

Anonymous #1

Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4258278 - 06/05/05 12:35 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No, not really any suicidal thoughts.

Everything kind of comes in waves. For a while I'll be just me (lazy, going out with friends but not really having fun, not interacting with family, lack of enjoyment in stuff, no energy, bleh). Then something will happen to me that will set off a wave of pretty bad depression. This can last for up to a few days, then I'm back to "normal" me.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4258284 - 06/05/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like a mild form of depression, commonly called "dysphoria". The herbs may be worth a try, then. Keep us posted on the results, why don't you?  Here's hoping you can beat this thing.... :laugh:

Oh and if you're taking any other medications, especially MAIO inhibiters, please research thoroughly, as sometime combining them with St. John's Wort can have some unpleasant, if not downright dangerous side effects....

Anonymous #1

#4258294 - 06/05/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Dysphoria...sounds familiar. I think I was reading about it earlier. I'll do some research.

Btw, does anyone have some advice on these herbs?

I know St John's Wort, Fish Oil, and 5-HTP are all used for depression, and Valerian is used for anxiety. It is safe to take them all toether, right?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4258329 - 06/05/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't see any problem with taking St. John's Wort with fish oil (that I know of) . I don't know about 5-HTP however. Be that as it may, I claim to be no expert when comes to most herbal remedies, but I'm sure there are many here who can tell you better than than I....

Anonymous #1

#4258350 - 06/05/05 12:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, I'll wait for others' advice on the meds.

Btw the reason Dysphoria sounded familiar is because I was reading about something that had a similar name: Dysthymia.

Many people just walk around seeming depressed - - simply sad, blue or melancholic. They have been this way all of their lives. This is dysthymia - - a condition that people are not even aware of but just live with daily. They go through life feeling unimportant, dissatisfied, frightened and simply don't enjoy their lives. Medication is beneficial for this type of depression.

The only difference with me is that I haven't been this way my whole life.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4258357 - 06/05/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

make sure you exercise
if my memory serves me, exercise is shown to be as effective as some antidepressants at improving mood

it sounds like you're being very real with yourself. if you stay committed, you'll solve your problems.

i wonder why you spend so much time away from your great family.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Anonymous #1

Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4258390 - 06/05/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Exercise for depression has been something I've read about, and the more I here about it the more I like the idea.

While I'm at it I may as well throw a daily walk and bike ride into the mix, right?

Quote:

it sounds like you're being very real with yourself.

You're absolutely right, I am. This all just hit me last night and I am kind of shocked that I haven't seen all this before. I really want myself back now. I want to live life like I know I should be able to.

Quote:

i wonder why you spend so much time away from your great family.

The family thing is kind of a mystery to me. All I know is that I act way different around my family than I do around my friends. I can't bring myself to be very happy, or to express much emotion when I'm around family. I don't get it..

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4258411 - 06/05/05 01:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yes, I forgot about regular exercise! Thanks for posting that, Crunchytoast!

Dirtyhippie: Yes, definitely add an exercise regimen to your daily routine! It helps me and my depression is far worse than yours, it sounds like....

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4259289 - 06/05/05 09:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sam-e is another one to look into. icelander swears by it.

you don't always have to be happy around others. just be yourself.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Anonymous #1

#4260603 - 06/05/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'll look into the SAM-e. I have just come up with a daily dosage chart for myself. If this doesn't look good to anyone, let me know.

Daily Use
St John's Wort - 900mg (3 [300mg]Capsules before bed)
5-HTP - 150mg (3 [50mg]Capsules before bed)
Fish Oil - 1760mg (2 [880mg]Softgels any time of day)
1 Hour of Exercise

Single Use
Valerian - 750mg (3 [250mg]Tablets throughout day before, and day of an event that may cause anxiety.)

I'm feeling good about this =0)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4263563 - 06/06/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, good for you for seeking treatment!  :heart:

I can only agree with the excellant advice provided above, particularly with exercise.  Exercise is the only thing that keeps me from falling into a depressive hole every now and again. It does wonders.  :smile:

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: MOTH]
    #4264147 - 06/06/05 02:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Supplements sounds like a GREAT idea as long as you know what you're getting into. I take St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, and Flax oil for my mind along with a few vitamins. Keep us posted on how it does, but don't expect any immediate effects.

And on a side note, I must recommend STRONGLY against seeing a psychatrist and definately against taking precriptions... unless you really become desperate. I'd go with seeing maybe a counselor or finding someone to talk to about this on top of seeking holistic methods of treatment.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: Society]
    #4264791 - 06/06/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well I'd just like to chime in and say I feel the same way 100%. Especially with my parents. I can't really think of anything to say to them EVER. It's just really quiet pointless small talk. I don't really -want- to talk to them and it kind of sucks.

But then again I dont have much to talk ABOUT. Most of my life for the last 2 years has been things they don't want/need to hear about.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4265522 - 06/06/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Oh and if you're taking any other medications, especially MAIO inhibiters, please research thoroughly, as sometime combining them with St. John's Wort can have some unpleasant, if not downright dangerous side effects....

Wise words.

I had a near stroke that I swear was from St Johns Wort.

I'd been doing the stuff for 2 weeks and had what felt like a heart attack whilst overtaking a car at 60 mph !!!

Once I got my senses together I drove home and spoke to my neighbor (she's a manager at the hospital) and she told me to go straight to A&E.

They wired me up for a ECG and the nurse gasped at the results and said in a loud voice "OH MY GOD!"

Turned out a blood clot had passed through my heart and lodged in my lungs !!!

I was in hospital for over a month and they pumped me full of Warfarin and other anticoagulants which didn't have any effect for ages because St Johns Wort changes the enzymes in your liver therefore rendering other drugs useless !!!

When they eventually kicked in I nearly OD'd on the stuff !!!

Just because its a natural herb doesn't mean its harmless.

I'll never touch that shit again.  :frown:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4265654 - 06/06/05 09:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Whoa! I guess you already know how close a call that was. Glad to hear you pulled through..... :laugh:

Anonymous #1

#4266604 - 06/07/05 02:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:
Supplements sounds like a GREAT idea as long as you know what you're getting into. I take St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, and Flax oil for my mind along with a few vitamins. Keep us posted on how it does, but don't expect any immediate effects.

And on a side note, I must recommend STRONGLY against seeing a psychatrist and definately against taking precriptions... unless you really become desperate. I'd go with seeing maybe a counselor or finding someone to talk to about this on top of seeking holistic methods of treatment.

Right, I'm not expecting to see significant results for at least another few weeks. As for the psychiatrist and prescription meds, I totally agree. Why go through all that shit when I can treat it a much better way?

Btw, how's the Ginkgo Biloba doing for you? Isn't that kind of an energy supplement? Sounds like something I need..

Anonymous #1

Re: Done with denial, now for treatment (Depression related) [Re: freddurgan]
    #4266606 - 06/07/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
Well I'd just like to chime in and say I feel the same way 100%. Especially with my parents. I can't really think of anything to say to them EVER. It's just really quiet pointless small talk. I don't really -want- to talk to them and it kind of sucks.

But then again I dont have much to talk ABOUT. Most of my life for the last 2 years has been things they don't want/need to hear about.

Oh wow I'm glad there's someone else out there that's like me.  I'm pretty much the same way with my parents.  I don't really want to talk with them...but I know I should be talking with them.  So then that kind of makes me want to talk to them...but only so I feel like I'm doing the right thing.

More than anything I just can't act like myself around them, and I don't know why. :undecided:

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4268887 - 06/07/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I had a near stroke that I swear was from St Johns Wort...

Your story scares the pants off of me, which is bad because I'm not wearing any underwear. How much were you taking and how long had you been taking it?! Was it because of another drug? I take SJW...

Quote:

Btw, how's the Ginkgo Biloba doing for you? Isn't that kind of an energy supplement? Sounds like something I need..

Yeah, I just waxed off a bottle of the stuff a few days ago and haven't picked up any more up so I haven't taken any in a few days. It's supposed to help memory, concentration, and a bunch of other stuff by aiding the circulatory system. I'd been taking it for... I guess about a month and half.. haven't noticed ANYTHING spectacular, but I also read some material that said it could take up to 6 months to work.

Also, anyone know of any sites that list the negative effects of herbs like SJW and ginkgo. I researched them a ton and SJW seemed to hint at photosensitivty and negative MAIO reactions. Ginkgo was only said to be bad for those with kidney problems.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4269379 - 06/07/05 07:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:
Your story scares the pants off of me, which is bad because I'm not wearing any underwear. How much were you taking and how long had you been taking it?! Was it because of another drug? I take SJW...

I was only on SJW for a couple of weeks and not taking any other drugs apart from cannabis, tobacco and the occasional beer.

I was just taking the recommended dosage, can't remember what it was..

The drugs that they gave me in hospital to dissolve the clot didn't work to begin with due to the SJW changing my livers enzymes. Once the SJW eventually wore off (2 weeks or so) the pharmaceutical drugs kicked in big time and nearly killed me.

There's not much research done in regards to herbal medicines.

Be careful with that shit, seriously.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4270972 - 06/08/05 08:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

For mild depression a woild also like to recommend a daily dose of 100mg of 5HTP(seritonin). Other sources of seritonin (the chemical respinsible for uplifting mood) are bananas and brazil nuts. Of course as others have said, execerise is most helpful, as i developing beetter communciation skills with family members. Its always difficult at frist, but the thing about family is, that you can enver hide who your really are from them. Much love and peace to you  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds