Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomySam
Stranger
Do shrooms really show/teach us anything?
    #3504225 - 12/15/04 05:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Are these trips really like peering deeper into your mind or anything like that? Is there really anything to be learned? Or are we just messing up our brain for alittle while to have alittle fun? Do you really feel like youve gained some greater knowlage or understanding from your expieirineces? Im not advocating one opionion or another honest, im just curious to see yalls thoughts

Thanks,
Sam

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: ShroomySam]
    #3504251 - 12/15/04 05:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I sometimes question whether or not shrooms can teach us anything outside ourselves(though many of the things I've learned about quantum physics and string theory concur with insights I've had while tripping), but I know first-hand that they can bring about positive changes in one's attitude and outlook on life. When I shroom, it's like I'm cleansing out all the negative energy I've been building up, and can see the beauty of life again. In this way, shrooms have been very therapeutic for me.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3504274 - 12/15/04 05:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, if you believe there is no real boundary between inside and outside then it can tell you alot about everything. Personally, I haven't tripped that many times to be able to say if it's insight or intoxication. I am however, tempted to say that meditation seems better for gaining understanding because your brain is still functioning properly.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3504285 - 12/15/04 05:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I sometimes question whether or not shrooms can teach us anything outside ourselves, but I know first-hand that they can bring about positive changes in one's attitude and outlook on life. When I shroom, it's like I'm cleansing out all the negative energy I've been building up, and can see the beauty of life again. In this way, shrooms have been very therapeutic for me.

Other than therapy there couldn't possibly be any way to collect external information through tripping. Unless of course... you remain delusional after your trip.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: ld50negative1]
    #3504297 - 12/15/04 05:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ld50negative1 said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I sometimes question whether or not shrooms can teach us anything outside ourselves, but I know first-hand that they can bring about positive changes in one's attitude and outlook on life. When I shroom, it's like I'm cleansing out all the negative energy I've been building up, and can see the beauty of life again. In this way, shrooms have been very therapeutic for me.

Other than therapy there couldn't possibly be any way to collect external information through tripping. Unless of course... you remain delusional after your trip.

Only if you accept the duality of external vs. internal. I'm not sure if I do or not.

--------------------

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
    #3504323 - 12/15/04 05:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yes

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #3504353 - 12/15/04 05:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"Are these trips really like peering deeper into your mind or anything like that?"

They can be given that they turn some proccessing filters off.Stripped from filters one can do some work on their insides without "everyday filter interferrence".

"Is there really anything to be learned? "

Depends on the perpson really...Is there anything to be learned in school? Yes,it is accesible to those who care to learn

"Or are we just messing up our brain for alittle while to have alittle fun?"

If you buy mushrooms of Holland smartshops or English ones in camden they will tell you that "they make you giggly and floaty".Fun ,Fun Fun? Well,they can be but if you up the dossage then...you can be quite far away from giggles.So you say "messing up our brain for a little whive to have a little fun".Is it a "random messing up"? Is it like going around in circles to go dizzy? Id say no.Look on how they act on a neurochemical basis,it isnt that hard.Dont stay only at "in what receptors in the brain psilocin binds" but go further to see what action cascade goes on in the brain.

Yes,you can still have some fun with them.Most of the people know this ,and might ignore their psychoanalytical uses.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: Psiloman]
    #3504972 - 12/15/04 07:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't ingest shrooms for recreational value. I dont even think they HAVE recreational value for me, considering they aren't "pleasant". Or, if they are, its a bliss I receive that also teaches.

Yes, shrooms teach. This is truth. What they teach is up to you, but one thing is for sure.

Shrooms allow you to gain a new perspective on things, and yourself. They alter how your consciousness percieves, therefore causing new realizations at a whole new level.

Shrooms can teach me things about myself, thus teaching me whatever I need to know regarding the universe.

Not boring relative , useless knowledge, like high school would teach.....but universal knowledge, like Jesus taught.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3505012 - 12/15/04 07:19 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomySam said:
Are these trips really like peering deeper into your mind or anything like that? Is there really anything to be learned? Or are we just messing up our brain for alittle while to have alittle fun? Do you really feel like youve gained some greater knowlage or understanding from your expieirineces? Im not advocating one opionion or another honest, im just curious to see yalls thoughts

Thanks,
Sam

I think that man owes his entire evolved mind to psychoactive plants. It is what started the separation from Animal and Man. We owe our entire world and our perception to it. To these wonderful substances. We have evolved in a symbiotic relationship with these things over tens of thousands of years. This is why all men a drawn to altered states. It is instinct and we crave it.

What can we learn ? Our spirituality grew from psychoactive plants. But now the part of the brain that this symbiotic relationship has nurtured has begun to nurture itself. We are at the point where we no longer need these things to find .............. Things

But as I said it is a very deep instinct to want an altered state so until we can plainly see this we has men still want it.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinetrinity7
Qie Lan
Loc: Wide open space
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3505170 - 12/15/04 07:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I was just about to post s.th. when I read what silversoul and supermarket wrote.
Exactly - that sums it up !
They are teachers and not a fun drug or something to pass the time with.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: trinity7]
    #3505325 - 12/15/04 08:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trinity7 said:
They are teachers and not a fun drug or something to pass the time with.

Actually, for me they are both. I've had both recreational and spiritual experiences on mushrooms(often simultaneously), and do not try to emphasize one over the other, as I feel they are both worthy aspects.

--------------------

Offlinetrinity7
Qie Lan
Loc: Wide open space
    #3505539 - 12/15/04 08:40 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

guess I was jumping to conclusions.
I thought again about whether I experienced fun times while shroomin..well yes, during concerts for example or in the company of friends laughing our asses off.
But still, there has always been some kind of undercurrent. It was never like the fun you had after a beer or two. Or sober.
Somehow it felt different, like there`s something beneath it.
But of course you`re right. Having fun and going deeper goes together well. :wink:

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3505984 - 12/15/04 09:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

here's what I got from many trips...silence.

A silenced mind I realized is a peaceful mind.  since my mind was at peace...so was my body.  I finally realized that there could be quiet or something very very close. 

in ego loss I realized that my personality and my ego is not what I am since I can lose them and still be at peace. when I realized this, I was able to take that with me into sobriety and relaxing became that much easier.  since I knew I wasn't my ego or personality, I wasn't busy with defending them.  With this came the realization that the judgements about myself apply to my judgements about the outside world.  in other words, the more my ego depended on something to happen and it didn't my peace of mind would be lost.  so if I didn't force my will upon reality (which is my ego in play) then I can relax that much more. 

mushrooms act as a catalyst to different states of mind, and different states of mind lead to different viewpoints which could lead to different modes of understanding. 

its like a another path on a mountain that you could go on.  whether or not it is good or bad depends on you, but the path is still there to enjoy regardless.  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3506431 - 12/15/04 11:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Silence?

Dang, that's one thing I have never achieved. In my case it's exactly the reverse. My mind runs at astonishing speed and I am able to follow maybe as many as a dozen trains of complex thought simultaneously. "Silence" is one word it would never have occurred to me to apply to a psychedelic trip. It's interesting to find someone who can.

pinky

--------------------

Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: Phred]
    #3506804 - 12/16/04 12:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Fucknuckle what you just said just made me realize exactly what shroomysam wanted to know. Makes everything better in my mind.

Offline_switters
Stranger
    #3507295 - 12/16/04 02:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i think that to a certain point they can reveal a(n) certain insight into personal issues, but usually within a week we're back to our reagualr lonesomes. some may say that we take shrooms to communicate with higher intelligence. (aliens) but i think that we're just more in touch with self being. hope that helped

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: _switters]
    #3507308 - 12/16/04 03:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The relapse into our ordinary way of thinking doesn't have to happen. We can take those insights with us if we try. But it requires discipline. Personally, I find shrooms to be therapeutic when I'm worrying about a bunch of shit in my life. Shrooms show me that what I'm worrying about at the time isn't really as big a deal as I'm making it out to be, and that I have what it takes to pull through.

--------------------

OfflineSilent_Echo
~~Psychonaut~~

Loc: Inside My Head
    #3508517 - 12/16/04 01:40 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

ive always thought about that same question....alot while tripping, and i wonder somtimes if it just makes you so dillusional that you THINK your learning and getting insights....true just about everything you learn is somthing you knew but had locked up, or was thinking in the "norm" and it got you out of that and you learned new perspectives, or somthing, but can they actually teach? maybe you just think you have learned the meaning of life but it was just a vision your mind conjoured up and because your in such a state belive it to be an insight...reminds me of that one slight moment on nitrious when EVERYTHING makes sense you know? that one moment, but no matter how many times you do it you never remember what you learned? agree? dissagree?

--------------------
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
-Bill Hicks (R.I.P)

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3508536 - 12/16/04 01:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

if you use shrooms with proper preperation, intent and respect, and have the firm desire to learn, and have opend your mind to their teachings, they can reveal truths to you that are beyond any thing youve ever concieved of and that can quite literally change your life forever.

if you drop some shroomies and go to the matrix, youll trip out.

if you drop some shrooms and sit alone wondering why you have no friends, youll go to hell and back.

set and setting + preperation and intent will decide what they do for you

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: Do shrooms really show/teach us anything? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3508813 - 12/16/04 03:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Lifechanging, yes, but truth? The truth about the universe and such? Who knows these truths? Anybody care to let me in on some?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology