Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDialect_Original
Stranger
Need Help
    #338241 - 06/11/01 10:22 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

aight,i've done about 8 to 12 jars with no success..it could be from many different things,i have theorys,but am not sure so im going to give a description of my method.....
Substrate-Organic rye flour-this may be my problem since its not recomended for use in any grow guide.and im not talking bout rye berries this is rye Flour.i use no vermiculite...i just inocculated 2 more jars.and mixed a 1/2 cup of rye with a little more than 1/4 water in a bowl stirring it until all parts were equally wet.Then sterilized my jars in the microwave for 3 min. until they were steaming being sure not to cook the substrate.
Innoculation-i waited for the jars to cool(bout 4 1/2 hours).inocculated the jars and since have kept them in a ziploc freezer bag wiped down on the inside with alcohol..the lids are screwed on but have holes in them.Is this enough air.(past jars were in a styrafoam container).

i have not had 1 jar that had good growth.for the few jars that had mycelium growth it took 2 weeks or more for it to start and was quickly contaminated...and had a spoiled smell before growth..i know this is a sign of contamination and steril procedures may be my problem im just looking for advice on what io can do better such as how much water to use and how long to microwave sterilization.and why is growth so slow even with uspoiled jars.and one more problem i have is i cant not shake up the substrate to distribute the spore is this a major problem...thankz

-Advance-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Need Help [Re: Dialect_Original]
    #338251 - 06/11/01 10:30 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

And you're suprised? Go with PF-Tek.

Offline*HeGz*
old hand
    #338267 - 06/11/01 11:03 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ummm, I don't mean to sound like a jerk here bro, but it does not sound like you did ONE THING RIGHT! First of all, if all you used for substrate was "Organic Rye Flour" and water, that would form something like cement and make it virtually impossible for the mycellium to grow and penetrate the substrate verm is used to make the substrate "airy" so the mycellium can grow Cough! Microwaving the jars for 3 minutes would have done next to nothing as far as killing contams. you need to boil your jars for 90 minutes or pressure cook at 15psi for 30 minutes or longer if using seed or whole grain.

USE THE PF TEK and follow it!

I've got nicotine stains on my fingers.
I've got a silver spoon on a chain.
I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains

PEACE

HeGz

Edited by *HeGz* on 06/11/01 11:04 AM.

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
    #338290 - 06/11/01 11:38 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like you're trying to create an entirely new method when there are so many valid teks around -or peices of different teks + personal innovation- why not whole rye berries? I know from (cooking) experience that flour+water=hard bread, how could you expect to be able to shake up a single hard loaf? Brown rice, birdseed, combos of flour and grain, flour and verm, verm and grain; just flour and water does'nt provide any breathing space which the mycelium needs.
Has anyone ever tried barley? It's more compact than rice grain, i'm thinking that it'd be easier to shake (evenly distributing spores/mycelium) and case with. Happy traaaaaaails.

"A psychedelic person is not willing to be a good citizen, or a good anything that is defined by someone else; I mean a shaman is a true anarchist."o0OTerrence McKennaO0o

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation