Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
Neural Networks and the Mind
    #3077589 - 09/01/04 12:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Recently I studied about neural networks and I thought about the connection of their structure with how actual brains and minds work.

If the theory that the brain is a very complex nervous system, is right, than consciousness and our minds may be thought of as functions of the neural states.

Than us thinking, growing and evolving our personalities, will be explained by the neural networks training, trying to find a function, best fitting the criteria. We output our thoughts and actions, and we than change ourselves according to out goals in life, which themselves are subject to change of the self-programming neural network.

Another feature of neural networks is that one does not specify their exact features. One just devises the net of inputs(feedback from our inner and outer sensors) and than changes our thoughts and actions. An interaction with the world happens and we get again feedback from sensors and see how well we have done, according to one's view of life.

Emotions that seem somehow irrational are just different effects in the network, changing ourselves even without the attention of the conscious mind. Maybe that is the power of positive thinking - letting our subconscious mind to change us for the better.

Intuition is us humans finding good decisions even without being why?
The connection of programming the mind and psychedelics may explain how people hallucinate and change their thoughts when something chemically effects the firings of the neurons and the behaviour of the network. This article was quite interesting and I guess it may have influenced subconsciously why I posted this  :wink:http://www.tripzine.com/articles.asp?id=dmt_pickover

I will read more about this, and take a neural network lecture this winter. I read the book  "Goedel, Esher, Bach, an Eternal Golden braid", by Hofstadter, and it really got me thinking . I will go deeper into Artificial Intelligence and think about majoring there.

So what do u think about this? I hope there are people here who are also enthusiastic about AI, can you recommend any good books  ?
Peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Neural Networks and the Mind [Re: gotmagog]
    #3077597 - 09/01/04 12:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> can you recommend any good books ?

Parallel distributed processing, MIT Press... volume 1 and 2

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3077891 - 09/01/04 02:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting Topic!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Neural Networks and the Mind [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3078192 - 09/01/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you could get close to replicating the brain, then you should be able to do lots of testing on your AI. Like with drug chemicals and such, then you should be able to map out what each and every chemical does to us. Safe testing i'd call it, instead of this so called labarotory testing done on animals and human beings.

Edit: Once you are capable of doing testing on chemicals you could take a lot of drugs off the market with showing proof that most chemicals that are sold on the market don't actually do what they are prescribed to do.

Good Luck to you my friend.

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: Neural Networks and the Mind [Re: Droz]
    #3078570 - 09/01/04 05:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I find the ideas on "neural networks" very interesting. This is my own take on it however. I believe that "mind" uses the brain as a storage unit, reciever, and transmiter. I think that our mind exists outside the physical body in a state of constant flux. Carl Jung touched on this with his theories about a "collective" consciousness. The mind relies on the electro-chemical systems of the brain and CNS to direct the body to do whatever it has to do. The body itself probably has its own intelligence. This is clearly evidenced by the amazing sophistication of our bodies immune system. A mind not bound by the physical is free to expand itself into throughout the world, universe, etc. This could be why innovations seem to pop up across the globe at geologically separate locations (i.e. development of pyramids in peru, egypt, monoliths in england, south america, asia, etc). This could also be why we tend to merge into one consciousness at sporting events or in extreme cases what happened in Nazi germany. If we all have "mind" that can roam about as it pleases (perhaps this is what "daydreaming" really is) then our mind is free to recieve information which results in "intuitive" leaps of faith. The information is recieved before it is percieved by the physical senses. New research also has shown that nerve synapses, olfactory receptors, and hormone receptors actually work in a way completely different than previously thought. Smell has been proven to function by analyzing the resonance or vibrational frequency of the given molecule. This implies that our body is tuned to different frequencies of energy, and this is what we are actually perceiving, not a signal stimulated by a "lock-and-key" molecule receptor complex. I am sure I went way off track there, but regardless, its all interesting.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Neural Networks and the Mind [Re: dmtrypr]
    #3078639 - 09/01/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent addition to this dmtrypr ! Taking it down to resonant vibrational frequencies! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinegotmagog

Re: Neural Networks and the Mind [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3081624 - 09/02/04 08:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. I will post more when I feel confident enough to support my conclusions and after I gather more experience with programming neural networks, there is a nice free java package called Joone

I will also trip with shrooms soon and I wil test metaprograming myself, this topic is quite connected with the neural theory of the mind.

Seuss, I checked this book in amazon, it seems like the bible of the topic, I will try to find it cheaply second-hand though, it costs $100, many good books in AI are quite expensive.

Offlinegotmagog

#3147257 - 09/17/04 08:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Recently I read some posts here at the shroomery about psychological addiction to drugs, and I found that this fits well with a neural theory of the mind.

The problem with psychological addiction, say to weed, is that our minds have learned this way to satisfy themselves. Take a drug, than u feel good. If u don't feel good, take again drug.

The problem with this is that in the long run, obtaining happiness in this way is not possible, serious addiction, higher tolerance to drugs, rising costs, total disconnect from normal life, etc.

But such arguments are on a higher level than the immediate satisfaction of the urge to feel well, which is basic to all life. Our neural systems reinforce the pathway of least resistance, taking drugs. But this is a local extremum, globally this is a wrong strategy.

Realizing this, however, requires much experience and thought, and maybe that is why some people fall in the trap of cheap immediate pleasures.

By the way, I don't want to offend anyone, I myself often smoke weed to have fun the easy way, but sometimes I regret it. so here I wonder how neural systems may explain this behaviour.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3147311 - 09/17/04 09:23 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What you are describing is an addiction to a sensation, and it really isn't the sensation's fault, just a weak mind. hehe. Some people eat food merely to gain enough nutrition to survive, while others get addicted to taste and consume it compulsively.

You are indeed right, happiness is not going to come from seeking out sensation, or from any external situation. Happiness is a state of being, and the more conditions that we demand must be met before we exist in that state of being, the less we will access that state of being. I mean, hell, why choose to seperate us from happiness, fufillment, contentment, when we can freely resonate in it every fuckin' moment, no matter what the external circumstances?

As for neural networks, I've never studied into such, but I entirely see it as possible that it is responsible for different thinking patterns, depending on the connections. I see it as an advanced river for highly tuned energy, and the mesh network of it all can increase the vibrations of it, opening up consciousness and the ability to think.... or something.... just my uninformed theory, not expressed very well... :lol:

I also tend to think about physical structures, and that perhaps they are, to a lesser extent, capable of effecting our consciousness, but it would take a lot (say, my own post :wink:) to get into all that... :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: