Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Heat waves set to become 'brutal'
    #2996367 - 08/12/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Heat waves set to become 'brutal'

Heat waves in the 21st Century will be more intense, more frequent and longer lasting, US experts report in the journal Science.
Scientists from the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) used climate modelling to predict geographic patterns of future heat waves.

Future heat waves in some areas of Europe and North America will become more common and extreme in the second half of the 21st Century.

The research shows greenhouse emissions are likely to exacerbate the problem.

This is suggested by data that shows present-day heat waves coincide with an atmospheric circulation pattern that is intensified by ongoing increases in greenhouse gases.

As the pattern becomes more pronounced, severe heat waves will hit the Mediterranean and southern and western US.

"It's the extreme weather and climate events that will have some of the most severe impacts on human society as the climate changes," said Jerry Meehl of NCAR, who co-authored the research with his colleague Claudia Tebaldi.

Other parts of France, Germany and the Balkans are expected to become more susceptible to heat waves.........

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2996713 - 08/12/04 07:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

that may be true in europe and in the southwestern US...but the northeastern US..especially the great lakes and northern planes..will experience an equally brutal ice age at the same time...

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2996724 - 08/12/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Very true. Where I live in New England, this past winter was one of the most brutal ones I can remember, and this summer has been one of the coldest. Where's global warming again?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2996807 - 08/12/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ok let me get this straight, The weather man can not predict the weather, with any accuracy, 7 days from now! But they want us to belive that they can tell us how the weather will be in 50 to 100 years?

Am I the only one that has a problem with this?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: Cyber]
    #2996819 - 08/12/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Cyber said:
Ok let me get this straight, The weather man can not predict the weather, with any accuracy, 7 days from now! But they want us to belive that they can tell us how the weather will be in 50 to 100 years?

Weather and climate are two different matters.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineCyber
Ash

Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: silversoul7]
    #2996949 - 08/12/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Cyber said:

Weather and climate are two different matters.

In what way? They are both making weather predictions.

You have to realize that in the 70's it was the coming Ice age, In the 80's it was global disaster in the next 20 years due to global warming. Now 20 years later they have moved the date another 50 years!

A study published in Science magazine in early October 1998 showed that around 12,500 years ago global temperature rose by more than 20 degrees in approximately 50 years. This was a natural change and is more than 10 times the warming that environmentalists are claiming we humans COULD be causing. It also occurred in half the time. Are you aware that there are nearly 18,000 signatures from scientists worldwide on a petition called The Oregon Petition which says that there is no evidence for man-made global warming theory nor for any impact from mankind's activities on climate?

Many scientists believe that the Kyoto agreement is a total waste of time and one of the biggest political scams ever perpetrated on the public ... as H L Mencken said "the fundamental aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and hence clamorous to be led to safety, by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary" ... the desire to save the world usually fronts a desire to rule it.

Look at where the data came from for the report! "NCAR is a federally funded research and development center." And they are predicting the number of hot days we will have. Give me a break!

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
    #2996970 - 08/12/04 08:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There are far more scientists that agree that the climate is changing than don't.

Natural causes may cause our temperatures to change wildly, and that would be catastrophic. That does not mean, however, that man-made warming of the planet is not a problem. If the sea level continues to rise (it already has started, which is pretty good evidence for climate change), then by 2050, many lowlands will be underwater.

#2997065 - 08/12/04 08:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Cyber, you can put your head in the sand and soothe yourself by pretending it's all a pinko communist conspiracy to upset you and your fellow militiamen but it is happening. Tell you what Joe Smooth, here' a challenge...For every online source you can give me, from respected organizations, that provides scientific evidence there's no climate change I'll give you 3 sources that says it is happening.

OfflineCyber
Ash

Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: deafpanda]
    #2997089 - 08/12/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Scientific research through U.S. Government satellite and balloon measurements shows that the temperature is actually cooling - very slightly - .037 degrees Celsius.

A little research into modern-day temperature trends bares this out. For example, in 1936 the Midwest of the United States experienced 49 consecutive days of temperatures over 90 degrees. There were another 49 consecutive days in 1955. But in 1992 there was only one day over 90 degrees and in 1997 only 5 days.

A Gallop Poll, in 1997, of eminent North American climatologists showed that 83 percent of them debunked the global warming theory.

Considering that the sea level has risen 300' over the last 10,000 years I would call it a long time trend and irreverent to the "Man Made Global Worming Argument"
Please refer to Global sea level change: Determination and interpretation by Bruce C. Douglas of NOAA, National Oceanographic Data Center, Washington, D.C.
To quote him "simply obtaining a value for global sea level rise in the past, or detecting an increase in the future, is not enough for sea level rise to serve as an unambiguous indicator of global climate change."
We are also talking about changes in the 0.7mm range over a 40 year period.

#2997457 - 08/12/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Fact vs. Fiction on climate change
Fiction: Region X has cooled by Y?F over the past two years! There is no global warming!

Fact: Statements like the one above are deliberate attempts by climate contrarians to confuse and mislead the public. It's an attempt to disprove the reality of global warming with a cold weather anomaly. This is not only scientific bogus, comparing apples and oranges, but outright dishonesty. Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a given time and place, defined by variables such as temperature, moisture, wind, and barometric pressure. It is highly variable from day to day. By contrast, climate describes long-term weather patterns, with average temperatures and precipitation totals as well as typical occurrences of climatic extremes (such as normal dry periods or tropical storms) being used to characterize the climate for a particular region. This distinction is very important. Averages are always made up of numbers differing from the mean. Global warming is about the average going up. Over time this will make extreme colds become less likely.

Record Heatwave Bakes Britain
LONDON - Temperatures climbed to record levels in sweltering Britain on Sunday as the mercury hit 100.8 degrees Fahrenheit, leaving bookmakers facing a hefty payout on bets that the 100 F mark would be topped.

Registered at Gravesend, Kent, southeast England, the new record beat the previous hottest day of 98.7 F, set in Cheltenham in central England in 1990.
Londoners baked in heat that reached 100.2 F, measured at Heathrow Airport on Sunday afternoon, but forecasters said slightly cooler temperatures were on the way.

Bookmakers estimated the industry would have to pay out more than $483,000 after thousands of weather- obsessed Britons, whose conversation is often dominated by the changeable climate, put money on temperatures soaring to 100 F for the first time in Britain........

Mediterranean hot flush detected after scorching summer
Our record-breaking long hot summer heated Europe's seas as well as the land. Results returned from ESA's Envisat environmental satellite show Mediterranean waters off Crete around three degrees Celsius warmer than the previous year.

The top image represents sea surface temperature around the island for 31 August 2003, while the second image shows it for 30 August 2002. The brighter the colour the higher the temperature: there is a five-degree difference between the two recorded in waters north of Crete, and a two-to-three degree difference south of Crete. The maximum (bright red) temperature shown in the two images is 25 degrees, the minimum (dark blue) is 16 degrees. Areas in black are either land or covered by cloud. .....

OfflineCyber
Ash

#2997662 - 08/12/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
Fact vs. Fiction on climate change
Fiction: Region X has cooled by Y?F over the past two years! There is no global warming!

Hmmm seems to me I was talking about long term weather covering 80 - 10,000 year trends.

You may also note that you are countering NOAA data with the data of an environmental group. It is in there best interest to propagate the myth.

Quote:

Record Heatwave Bakes Britain

#1 Read your first statement. This is a short term weather anomaly. This is not a long term forecast. Also note that again this comes from a group who promotes the myth. Not hard data or facts. It was originally run on  Reuters news service and we all know how good the media is on researching the topic and reporting unbiased facts.

Quote:

Mediterranean hot flush detected after scorching summer

:lol:
To quote the above article.

"Preliminary analysis of existing results does indicate a general upward trend, but we will be more certain with more time and more data."

They even admit that they need more data.

So what does the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have to say?

The IPCC clearly identified two major global climatic events in the past millennium, as confirmed by thousands of papers written by quaternary geologists during the past century -- a "Medieval Warm Period" (MWP) from about 800 to 1300 A.D. that was as much as two degrees Celsius warmer than today, and a far colder "Little Ice Age" (LIA) from about 1300 to 1900 A.D.  As part of our emergence from the LIA, scientists agreed there had been a gradual warming throughout the 20th century, although the reasons for this were hotly contested with increasing greenhouse gases (GHG) and changes in the output of the sun being leading contenders.

In recent years, however, the case for solar variations being the 20th century's major climate driver has become much stronger! After all, if long before human-induced GHG emission became significant, temperatures were considerably higher than today, there would be little reason to think today's temperatures were anything unnatural. This was especially true since long-term solar records indicated that both the MWP and LIA were closely correlated with changes in solar activity, and the output of the sun has indeed been increasing during the past century's 0.6C warming. Supporters of the GHG-induced warming hypothesis desperately needed a "smoking gun"

The temperature data from before 1900 is not directly measured, as they are after 1900 when land-based thermometer readings are used. Instead, pre-1900 temperatures are calculated based on the measurement of "proxies," natural phenomena such as the growth of tree rings or coral that indicate what temperature was at certain times in the past. Consequently, grafting the two very different types of data sets together without significant overlap to come to dramatic conclusions is unwarranted and should be seriously contested!  Chris de Freitas of the School of Geography and Environmental Science at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, sums up, "The Mann 'hockey stick' is nothing more than a mathematical construct vigorously promoted in the IPCC's 2001 report to affirm the notion that temperature changes of the 20th century were unprecedented."

Unfortunately in recent years the Global Warming THEORY has been taken as gospal and has attained the dogma of a religion!
As we should all be aware a THEORY can not be proven it can only be disproven. A THEORY only stands until the data no longer fits the THEORY. Then the THEORY is revised or scraped for a better THEORY

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #2997719 - 08/12/04 11:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bear
1. The Great "Global Warming" Myth

The greenhouse effect is a myth, and there have been extensive and complete, careful measurements which show absolutely NO increase in the average global temperature. The ones usually used in promoting this concept are based on incomplete sampling. Global warming does not exist. In fact there are so many buffers in the atmosphere that it can't happen, even if the CO2 increased hundreds of times over.

First of all, the CO2 content in the atmosphere is only a very tiny amount, about 300 parts per million. This CO2 stays in the air in equilibrium with the CO2 dissolved in the oceans. Since CO2 has a very steep curve of solubility in water, the amount in the air is critically dependent upon the sea surface temperatures (cold rain falling is an excellent CO2 scrubber). World CO2 measurements have traditionally been based on the levels tested in the air at Mona Kea Observatory in Hawaii. The charts of the levels fluctuate seasonally, rising in the summer and falling in the winter. If the levels are compared to the actual sea surface temperature measurements taken at Hilo, which is at the base of Mona Kea, the seasonal variations are seen to track exactly with the temperature. Even the gradual increase over time is duplicated in the temperature reading, as the average temperature at Hilo has been rising in exact lock step with the rise in the Mona Kea CO2 levels. (The charts of these measurement are easily available, making this a trivial exercise if you wish to verify my statements).

Burning fossil fuels is probably one of the most important aids to the life cycle on this oxygen-rich, carbon-poor planet that man can do. Most of the primeval carbon is locked away in the oil and coal deposits formed over the ages by cell death of the phytoplankton (diatoms), which created the oxygen-rich environment by decarboxylating the CO2 in the primitive atmosphere. The limits placed on CO2 are unreasonable and impede the creation of wealth which benefits everyone, and are harmful to the plant life at the same time.

http://www.thebear.org/essays2.html#anchor506009

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

#2999493 - 08/13/04 09:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So you're saying that your scientists are real scientists cause they say Global Warming's a myth. You didn't even quote your source. My scientists are obviously fake if they believe something so proposterous. Ok, you don't want to believe in this stuff. Don't believe it. Here's to a comfortable fantasy. You're gonna feel it soon enough holmes.

Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: d33p]
    #2999500 - 08/13/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

oh shit Emissions of carbon dioxide, the main culprit linked to a warming climate, also pose potential risks to the oceans, new research suggests.

The oceans have absorbed vast amounts of carbon dioxide released in the industrial age and have measurably changed, chemically and ecologically, as a result.

OfflineCyber
Ash

#2999705 - 08/13/04 10:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
So you're saying that your scientists are real scientists cause they say Global Warming's a myth. You didn't even quote your source. My scientists are obviously fake if they believe something so proposterous. Ok, you don't want to believe in this stuff. Don't believe it. Here's to a comfortable fantasy. You're gonna feel it soon enough holmes.

Man can anyone be so dense?

You provided 1 link to a environmental site, 1 news article on a short term environmental change, and 1 link to the European space agency. In all the cases you posted, the first shows that looking at short term weather anomalies does not indicate global weather change. I would tend to agree with this. You then posted links to stories on short term weather anomalies. The last one admits that there is not enough data to be conclusive.
As to me not posting my sources, did you even take the time to read the posts? So far I have quoted NOAA (National Oceanographic Data Center), A Gallop Poll of climatologists, the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), and Chris de Freitas of the School of Geography and Environmental Science at the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
In retort to my scientists and facts you have quoted, REUTERS NEWS SERVICE, Union of Concerned Scientists, and the European space agency. Of those the European Space Agency is the only one with data. They (the ESA) admit that they need more data. The Union of Concerned Scientists is an environmental group. There data, if there was any, would need to be scrutinized as it would be in there interest to find global warming.
Now for a science lesson. For a theory to be valid it must account for all the data. If data is found that shows that the theory is wrong, then the theory needs to be revised. You do not ignore data because it does not fit your theory.
"Global Warming" believers tend to treat "Global Warming" in the way that the Government treats the drug war. Notice any similarities in the following?
A) Denounce any data that does not support there theory/belief.
B) Ostracize anyone who does not agree or speaks out against it.
C) Ignore facts that may be contrary to the party line.

It is time to wake up and think for your self!

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#3000533 - 08/13/04 01:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
oh shit Emissions of carbon dioxide, the main culprit linked to a warming climate, also pose potential risks to the oceans, new research suggests.

The oceans have absorbed vast amounts of carbon dioxide released in the industrial age and have measurably changed, chemically and ecologically, as a result.

You can either believe in one or the other. Not both my friend.

--------------------

bang bang

Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: d33p]
    #3001011 - 08/13/04 03:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

How is any of that contradictory? Humans are pumping huge amounts of C02 into the atmosphere. It is causing a greenhouse effect. The ocean's are absorbing part of it but they are in turn becoming acidic.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#3001108 - 08/13/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
How is any of that contradictory? Humans are pumping huge amounts of C02 into the atmosphere. It is causing a greenhouse effect. The ocean's are absorbing part of it but they are in turn becoming acidic.

Well i guess you can actually believe in your twisted idea of whats going on if you want.

--------------------

bang bang

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Heat waves set to become 'brutal' [Re: deafpanda]
    #3004524 - 08/14/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

There are far more scientists that agree that the climate is changing than don't.

I think they all agree that the climate is changing. No one who seriously knows what they're talking about claims otherwise. The real debate is how much humans are contributing to global warming. Many human activities release greenhouse gasses into the air, so I'm about 90% sure that we contribute somewhat to it. How much of a role we play in it I don't know. See, another question is whether global warming is occurring too fast. Global warming does occur naturally, but if we're speeding it up too much, then a lot of plant and animal life won't be able to adapt to the rapid climate changes, and it could lead to mass extinction. I remain skeptical of both sides in this argument. Those who say it's a hoax and we have nothing to worry about may eat those words someday, but I'm also skeptical of the doomsday people who believe it will be the end of life as we know it. My position on this is that we should hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

General Interest >> Science and Technology