Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1439 | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29681707 -

BeefExtreme said:
Horsechestnut is a cool tree.  Never seen it really be a problem anywhere but who knows.



Apparently squirrels and birds can make it a problem. They hide the seeds and forget about them. It is a really cool looking tree. I might grow one just for the shits and giggles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: fontinalis666]
    #29681715 -

fontinalis666 said:
I used to live on a property that had a super old black oxford apple tree on it, one of the coolest fucking apples imo. Super tasty and just stunning. The outter edge of the flesh near the skin would get a blushy pink, and the skin was soo dark red it looked black.




langten69 said:
fontinalis666 said:
I've been going hard on the summer edition redbull, full sugar of course. It's sudachi&lime flavored and I realized the other day it's very reminiscent of mountain dew and it honestly made me like it a little less lol.

Langten, you should pull a scoby chunk off in a separate container and start feeding it coffee, shit's soo good 🤌



What in the ever living fugg are you talking about:rofl:

Im so intrigued...

Tell me more



Swap the tea for coffee, start with like a half strength brew to get it used to it and then go full blast after the first ferment. I used to add a lil blueberry syrup for a secondary ferment on it and it was killer



Man that sounds awesome, I'm gonna give it a go :rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: langten69]
    #29681745 -

I dont even like kombucha and i wanna try it


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: tryptkaloids] * 1
    #29681771 -

I was reading through my wife's instapot manual and I kind of want to make my own yogurt


--------------------
:hippie::mushroom2:Take it easy. if it's easy. take it twice:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:sporedrop:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery:sporedrop:

**A LINK TO EVERTHING**


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: callmehippie]
    #29681803 -

I make my own yogurt to save costs. My partner eats a lot so we actually shave a decent chunk off our bills this way. Every batch is usually a little different starting from the stuff at the grocery store. Sometimes it turns out really mild and creamy and I like it better than the store bought. Other times it turns out very sour. Something to do with the mixed bacteria cultures and incubation temperatures I think. I've read that the really sour strain is extremely vigorous and tend to take over eventually. We stopped keeping a running culture because of that and just freeze smaller starter cultures from the original store bought culture every time now. We're looking into getting an heirloom culture that isn't a mix of multiple strains to keep a running one eventually though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #29681827 -

tryptkaloids said:
I dont even like kombucha and i wanna try it



Hey friend. I hope everything is going correctly. It's been much too long. Thank you for everything you showed me.


--------------------
🌾💮🫘🥖

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GymnCarrey]
    #29681838 -

GymnCarrey said:
I make my own yogurt to save costs. My partner eats a lot so we actually shave a decent chunk off our bills this way. Every batch is usually a little different starting from the stuff at the grocery store. Sometimes it turns out really mild and creamy and I like it better than the store bought. Other times it turns out very sour. Something to do with the mixed bacteria cultures and incubation temperatures I think. I've read that the really sour strain is extremely vigorous and tend to take over eventually. We stopped keeping a running culture because of that and just freeze smaller starter cultures from the original store bought culture every time now. We're looking into getting an heirloom culture that isn't a mix of multiple strains to keep a running one eventually though.



Groovy. That's really intriguing. I didn't even consider that you could use the culture from the grocery store. I honestly don't know how any of it works. At least not yet. The next questions was going to be about obtaining cultures.


I like the thick and creamy Greek ones


--------------------
:hippie::mushroom2:Take it easy. if it's easy. take it twice:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:sporedrop:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery:sporedrop:

**A LINK TO EVERTHING**


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29681876 -

BeefExtreme said:
DorkWithTheHair said:
Heheh, "dip and stick."

Also, still tryin' to get chocolate and apple mint cuttings to NOT fucking die on me.  Dunno what the crap I'm doing wrong and it's startin' to piss me off.



Thems easy cuttings if youre keeping the right environment but honestly the best way to produce a fuck ton of
Mint is dividing. 


So like, grow a gallon pot of it. 
Take the plant out of the pot, cut 75% of the roots off, And 75% of the plant matter off. 

Now you have kindof a cookie, yes? Half plant half roots. Cut that into like ten bits and plant those in 3.5"
Pots.

Now you have ten mints.  In like 8wks theyll be finished and you can transplant those into gallons.  Rinse and repeat...

Now you have 100 mints... then 1000.  Congratulations, youre in the nursery business. Do this with like 3800 other plants, lose your mind completely, never sleep.  Only plants . Only work.  Oh youre sick? Too fuckin bad.  Oh you need a day off?  Its christmas you say?  Pffft... plants do not recognize your perennial "holidays".

Do this for 20 years and youll be a "horticulturalist" and be as fucking crazy as i am.



I might not go quite that nuts, but I've not tried that avenue.  Mostly I was wantin em because the cuttings I gave a homie have had all but one of em expire and I kinda feel bad.  Don't like givin duds to the homies, ya know?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: callmehippie]
    #29681885 -

It's pretty easy. I just bring the milk up to a near boil. Enough heat to see it start foaming on the top and producing steam. Apparently it's important to cook the proteins, at least that's what I've read. I stir constantly to prevent a skin from developing because my partner really hates milk skin. Then I let it cool to below 90F and stir in my starter. Don't need much. a couple heaping spoonfuls is enough to get it going pretty quick. I stick it on a seedling mat to keep it warm for a day and check to see if the curd jiggles like jello. When it does, it's done.

callmehippie said:
I like the thick and creamy Greek ones



This was the part that shocked me the most when I learned it. The stuff you get at the end will be very thin. Even thinner than most store bought stuff. Greek yogurt is made by straining off most of the whey. We're usually too lazy to do that though. If we get an unbearably sour batch we will strain off all the whey and it becomes a sort of soft cheese that makes a great dip with some added salt and a little garlic powder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GymnCarrey] * 1
    #29681920 -

Very groovy.  Thanks for the info. 

I was a chef in my previous career.  But its been  like 8 years since I've been in a kitchen.

It at all sounds pretty cool. And I definitely don't mind doing the straining.

and learning all the tricks and  different ways to make it into something that taste good


--------------------
:hippie::mushroom2:Take it easy. if it's easy. take it twice:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:sporedrop:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery:sporedrop:

**A LINK TO EVERTHING**


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: callmehippie]
    #29682009 -

Good morning, everyone! :goodmorning:

It has finally cooled down and rained here, which fills me with life after this infernal summer.

I saw you guys were talking about yogurt — I can't really help you with that one, but... we make kefir at home. And a while ago, someone gifted me some kefir grains — really good ones.

The difference between commercial and homemade kefir is that commercial usually has <6 bacterial strains, whereas homemade has ~40. Because of that, the beneficial impact on the gut microbiota is completely different. The most curious thing is that scientists still haven't managed to create kefir grains artificially; they originated in the Caucasus Mountains thousands of years ago and have been traveling from hand to hand to this day. And yes, they reproduce!



I wouldn't mind sharing them if anyone wants some. Every so often, we end up with an excess of grains. I've seen that they can be dehydrated (though I've never tried it myself), so I imagine they could be shipped internationally. It might be worth a shot.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with active Helicobacter pylori, and between the bacteria itself and the triple antibiotic therapy — my digestive system got completely wrecked... I spent almost two years feeling pretty awful after the treatment. Supplements, probiotics, diets, moxibustion, fermented foods... but honestly, ever since I started drinking this homemade kefir after meals, that was when I truly felt I was starting to get back to normal.

Let me know what you think,
I wish you all a fabulous day!

Hugs:heart:


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Belintaf] * 1
    #29682012 -

Belintaf said:
Good morning, everyone! :goodmorning:

It has finally cooled down and rained here, which fills me with life after this infernal summer.

I saw you guys were talking about yogurt — I can't really help you with that one, but... we make kefir at home. And a while ago, someone gifted me some kefir grains — really good ones.

The difference between commercial and homemade kefir is that commercial usually has <6 bacterial strains, whereas homemade has ~40. Because of that, the beneficial impact on the gut microbiota is completely different. The most curious thing is that scientists still haven't managed to create kefir grains artificially; they originated in the Caucasus Mountains thousands of years ago and have been traveling from hand to hand to this day. And yes, they reproduce!



I wouldn't mind sharing them if anyone wants some. Every so often, we end up with an excess of grains. I've seen that they can be dehydrated (though I've never tried it myself), so I imagine they could be shipped internationally. It might be worth a shot.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with active Helicobacter pylori, and between the bacteria itself and the triple antibiotic therapy — my digestive system got completely wrecked... I spent almost two years feeling pretty awful after the treatment. Supplements, probiotics, diets, moxibustion, fermented foods... but honestly, ever since I started drinking this homemade kefir after meals, that was when I truly felt I was starting to get back to normal.

Let me know what you think,
I wish you all a fabulous day!

Hugs:heart:



I also do homemade kefir, and those do look like some healthy kefir grains

Awesome work

I do agree that after drinking kefir almost every day had had a noticeable impact on my overall health

If you want to sample my kefir (grains) I'd be happy to send some too if i can figure out How to dehydrate them


Edited by langten69 (09/30/26 02:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: langten69]
    #29682014 -

That's awesome, man! Honestly, I like sauerkraut, umeboshi, miso, and labneh, but kefir is a true miracle.

Well, I wouldn't mind trying. With the next surplus, I'll try dehydrating them. From what I know, they're dusted with powdered milk to preserve them. But I'm sure it's explained online.

Do yours reproduce very fast?


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Belintaf]
    #29682018 -

I think my kefir goes pretty fast, although I dont have any reference to compare it to

I use about a half gallon (give or take) of milf to ferment in the carafe up to the part where it changes angles. In about 2-3 days it turns into the store bought kefir consistency.

I strain it through a fine mesh strainer and use a rubber spatula to gently coax it through till it is homogeneous

Then I mix it with fruit+sugar

How about yours,  what's your process?

Edited by langten69 (09/30/26 03:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1439 | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Kombucha bottles coulterIV 603 4 01/30/08 06:47 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Kombucha Question... satyr 699 5 04/08/08 07:03 AM
by Roadkill
* Homemade "Myco Bags"
( 1 2 all )
nugsarenice 3,594 25 04/21/02 12:38 PM
by nugsarenice
* WBS fermentation outlawimmortal 1,401 5 08/11/06 05:10 PM
by outlawimmortal
* Hpoo fermentation and why (Grrrrrrrrrr)
( 1 2 all )
scatmanrav 6,017 31 06/21/05 08:02 AM
by scatmanrav
* Re: Starting the magical process of cultivation Anonymous 1,157 7 04/06/00 11:30 AM
by Anonymous
* I need to know more about Mushroom Cultivators lung navyseals101 3,675 10 10/15/09 11:41 AM
by blujay
* WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell Fixer 4,052 4 02/07/07 10:50 AM
by RogerRabbit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
458,544 topic views. 11 members, 117 guests and 118 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.055 seconds spending 0.029 seconds on 15 queries.