Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFixer
Unconventional
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast, USA
WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell
    #6537924 - 02/06/07 07:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

My WBS jars were almost completely colonized, but were stalling at the end. I decided it was time to act, so I took out what was colonized nicely and mixed it with coir. After I dished a good deal out I started to smell near the bottom a fermentation smell. Some of the fermented grain from the first jar got into the coir. The second jar had some fermentation but I managed to only take out the fully colonized grain without the fermented grain. Is the fermentation a death sentence for the grow, or is there still a chance it could do well?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell [Re: Fixer]
    #6537958 - 02/06/07 08:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

There is still a CHANCE, however, the fermentation will likely take over first, especially if the substrate is fairly wet. In fact, I just threw out a tray tonight that I spawned a fully colonized jar with some bacterial contamination to.

I had a couple jars left over that also had the same bacterial contamination that I spawned a couple days later. To experiment, when I hydrated the coir, I used 8 pints water to 1 pint 3% H2O2. I then let that sit awhile, rang out the coir to make it airy, and mixed in my spawn.

This is what it looks like as of less than 60 seconds ago. I made two trays like this, and the other one is slightly behind this one. They were spawned about 6 days ago.

I SHOULD mention, however, that all of the above trays were done with a 20% spawn ratio. If you're using more colonized spawn, and only got a little bit of fermented spawn in there, it will improve your chances of success.

InvisibleFixer
Unconventional
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast, USA
Re: WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6538099 - 02/06/07 08:45 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Your's looks good, I think. At this point I wouldn't try a ratio of 20% My ratio is closer to 50%. The fermentation is bacteria? I think I put too much grain in the jar. In the second jar I stopped spooning out before I reached the fermentation on the bottom. Hopefully it will not be effected. I guess I'll find out soon enough. All I want is to get enough mushrooms to have when I need and I keep getting contamination. I'm PC'ing the grain and ousting everything before I start innoculating. I don't think it's the LC.

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell [Re: Fixer]
    #6539434 - 02/07/07 07:26 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

There are two major factors you want to watch for:

1) Jars that are too wet.
2) PC time.

You want your grains to be swelled up with water, but definitely not burst. They should also look dry - you shouldn't have much, if any, visible moisture on the inside of the jar. All (or as much as possible) of the water should be inside the grains.

As far as PC time, I usually go 2 hours at or slightly above 15 PSI when I'm using whole grains. 90 minutes has worked for me for WBS in the past, but every once in a while it missed. I find I have to go the full two hours with rye and wheat berries.

Yes, fermentation in grain jars is usually caused by bacteria.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WBS Jar with Fermenting Smell [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6539913 - 02/07/07 10:50 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The bacteria kept the mushroom mycelium from colonizing those grains. Now they'll probably develop green molds. You shouldn't spawn contaminated grains to bulk. It's best to start over and get the moisture content right so the jars can colonize fast. I say your project is doomed. Sorry.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder