Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes
    #29681029 -

Hey guys,

I recently started working with agar and poured my first plates. I tried a few different things to experiment with, including cloning, grain-to-agar, and LC-to-agar.

In total I poured 10 plates, 2 were used immediately (Labeled F & G), the other ones were left for about a week.

To be honest, I’m still learning and I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking at with some of these plates, so I’d really appreciate some feedback from more experienced cultivators.


The grain transfers seem to be looking the best to me. The clone tissue appears to have contamination on at least one of the plates, but I’m less sure about what I’m seeing with the LC. The LC was from a syringe I purchased from a vendor, so that one has me particularly confused.

Apologies for the poor visibility in the photos. I didn’t have much space on the plates and unfortunately didn’t have a thin enough marker, so some of my writing is obstructing the view.

Any feedback on what you think I’m looking at, what looks healthy/unhealthy, and what I should be watching for would be greatly appreciated. Still very much learning the ropes with agar!











Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: myceliumeyes] * 2
    #29681033 -

first three pics look the cleanest, I would take transfers from those to new agar plates, you'll want to take transfers from the leading edge of the most vigorous point on the radiuses

[times are relative to the taken photo perspective]
pic 1 : 11 oclock
pic 2: 730
pic 3: 11 oclock or 730

the rest of the photos look heavily contammed


just for some pro info from our newly crowned TC DV8DUG, check out his Agar Plate Thread on cleaning up contamination

welcome to the shroomery :thumbup:

Edited by langten69 (09/29/26 02:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: myceliumeyes] * 1
    #29681036 -

I like the grain plates, but not the tissue plates, LC plates is hard to eyeball even on a good day :lol:



Ninjaed by langten :blueninja:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29681037 -

:ninjalike:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: langten69] * 1
    #29681040 -

A and B are outstanding.

All the tissue cultures look like mold, E looks the least worst but that other white spot is very sus, unless it's a reflection.

The LC plates look weak for LC, especially for ochra (NSS), but that kind of spread is what you'd expect if a liquid full of mycelium bits took hold. Could be worth transferring from one of the thicker spots if you want to see how it does on a plate of its own. My KSSS LC plates looked like that at first and ended up being decent.

How'd you do the tissue transfers? Peeling the mushroom to expose clean bits without letting dirty air fall on it, and not punching through the dirty exterior are the key bits with tissue transfers.


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: langten69]
    #29681058 -

langten69 said:
first three pics look the cleanest, I would take transfers from those to new agar plates, you'll want to take transfers from the leading edge of the most vigorous point on the radiuses

[times are relative to the taken photo perspective]
pic 1 : 11 oclock
pic 2: 730
pic 3: 11 oclock or 730

the rest of the photos look heavily contammed


just for some pro info from our newly crowned TC DV8DUG, check out his Agar Plate Thread on cleaning up contamination

welcome to the shroomery :thumbup:



Thanks mate, that’s very helpful! I also think the rest are contam, definitely one as it’s greenish and just looks awful. Will probably throw all the clone plates out. Nothing on them looks kosher.

Will definitely check out that thread 🤙🏼

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29681059 -

Rasmodius said:
A and B are outstanding.

All the tissue cultures look like mold, E looks the least worst but that other white spot is very sus, unless it's a reflection.

The LC plates look weak for LC, especially for ochra (NSS), but that kind of spread is what you'd expect if a liquid full of mycelium bits took hold. Could be worth transferring from one of the thicker spots if you want to see how it does on a plate of its own. My KSSS LC plates looked like that at first and ended up being decent.

How'd you do the tissue transfers? Peeling the mushroom to expose clean bits without letting dirty air fall on it, and not punching through the dirty exterior are the key bits with tissue transfers.



I also thought the LC looked very weak for being NSS, but I’m going to try sample from thicker spots as you suggest. Hopefully it will grow back a little stronger.

For the clones I did just that, splitting the stem in half and then took 2 samples, second sample was done by splitting it a little further. I took 2 samples from two different fruits each. I worked in a SAB and fairly clean room. Alcohol, sterile scalpel, as little time as possible with the open plate and sample, but did struggle a lot to get the tissue off the scalpel.

Will probably put the clones as failures and try again, it’s a shame because those two fruits were neat!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: mold in agar plate Anonymous 14,268 3 12/04/99 12:35 AM
by Anonymous
* Agar Plates Akira 2,139 18 01/13/06 11:17 AM
by shymanta
* Whats with my agar plates? Frankenstein 9,631 8 09/08/22 03:46 PM
by schpat
* What to do with 1st agar plate fromthemoon 1,472 3 09/07/06 03:20 PM
by monstermitch
* Agar Plates Start to Finish? shymanta 2,219 7 01/01/06 11:23 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? blackout 1,934 5 07/06/05 12:22 PM
by Roadkill
* How many mycelium syringes from one agar plate? BBShrizz 5,522 3 05/10/01 02:10 AM
by ISaToriBluEI
* moisture build up on agar plates Pie 1,933 1 05/31/05 08:02 PM
by waixingren

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
75 topic views. 11 members, 59 guests and 165 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.