Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Magnetic Stirrer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate?
    #4371912 - 07/05/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If you have a multispore LC is there many different substrains in it, i.e. when you suck up some and squirt it in 10 jars is it like cutting different 10 wedges from an agar plate, will you get some that is more cottony and some more rhizo, or will it be pretty much blended together in the LC?

Is there any benefit in only squirting tiny amounts of LC in the hope that it is more like taking select wedges of agar.?

I want to get a good invitro fruiting strain. My plan is to prepare about 5-10 jars the exact same way with only a bit of substrate, then the first jar to pin, or the one showing the best growth will have its best fruit selected for cloning.

Or would I be better doing multispore in all of them? I prefer the idea of LC, since I save my initial spores but also since germination is already started any delays will not sway my opinion. (i.e. a great strain may be late to germinate and be dismissed as a poor late fruiter)

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Edited by blackout (07/05/05 12:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? [Re: blackout]
    #4372052 - 07/05/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I believe, that one substrain will prevail over the others and the cake will only fruit that substrain. With larger jars of grain, you may be able to get 2 different substrains to fruit before one network takes over the other.

Ive also read that trying to grow different substrains together is ultimately bad for the process because they are limited by eachother.

can anyone clarify all that a little better?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4374804 - 07/06/05 06:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think one will be dominant too. But I still wonder if I take tiny amounts of LC is it similar to taking a small slice of an agar plate, which could be an isolate.
If you are using a magnetic stirrer I would imagine this is harder to do.
Another way to decrease the different strains from a multipsore would be to inject h202 the very moment you see signs of myc in your LC, this will kill ungerminated spores. But you may be left with a weak strain, while another may have germinated and have become the dominant one.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? [Re: blackout]
    #4374971 - 07/06/05 09:35 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

intresting idea... but i think that getting different substrain isolates through LC would be quite a task to do, and why not just stick to agar?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4375637 - 07/06/05 02:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well, its not a good idea with LC, because you do not want to isolate a crappy substrain. With agar you isolate many substrains, see which performs the best, then use that plate. You can have a substrain that fruits shitty, or not at all. With a larger MSI injection, your more likly to have more stronger strains and the more genetic diversity will likly give you better results.

Think of it like people...if you take 100 people and put them all in a room to make a baby, they'll likly be able to create some very healthy babies between all 50 couples..someones gotta have good genetics...but if you only put 2 people in the room, theres a chance they wont be able to create a baby at all, and if they do that something will be wrong with it.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Many sub-strains in a multispore LC? Similar to different types of myc on an agar plate? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4375657 - 07/06/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

Think of it like people...if you take 100 people and put them all in a room to make a baby, they'll likly be able to create some very healthy babies between all 50 couples..someones gotta have good genetics...but if you only put 2 people in the room, theres a chance they wont be able to create a baby at all, and if they do that something will be wrong with it.

Don't know who the Father is...

it happened in group therapy!~

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Magnetic Stirrer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation