Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Automated agar plate scanner * 10
    #29680034 -



I have an unmanageable number of plates, and it's been putting me off of doing the breeding projects I'm most excited about, because I know that managing the plates is such a PITA and I do such a bad job of it.

My dream system is basically just a self-checkout machine / barcode inventory for plate management. Everything gets a sticker that tells me what the transfer was taken from, what's going on with it, whether I care about it, etc.

Finally I have built the hardware to support such a thing.



This is a Phomemo M120 label maker, which can thermal print 10x20mm labels.



I vibed up a lil web app that makes labels with a QR code and whatever text I want, and then sends it to the printer. They get stuck onto the bottom center of a plate.


Then I hacked up this combination of a $10 webcam and the lens from an 80s super8 camcorder which turns out to be the perfect size to read the text clearly from just a few mm away.


It has a lil' stand with markings for 60mm and 90mm plates that puts the sticker at exactly the right distance.


The quality is decent!


Now I can make easy labels


And automatically scan them when they get placed on the tray.

The software for actually keeping track of all this shit is going to be the bigger hurdle, but this is working great so far and I'm super stoked. And it's all in open formats that a robot can drive, which is the real dream. I'm not actually tryna type these labels manually.


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Edited by Rasmodius (09/27/26 07:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius] * 1
    #29680073 -

:wowz:

This is so fkn awesome

Im assuming you have a background in tech/coding or you're just really crafty

:thatsaten:

Edited by langten69 (09/27/26 08:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: langten69] * 1
    #29680096 -

Bro, that is really cool stuff.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: langten69]
    #29680105 -

TY

langten69 said:
Im assuming you have a background in tech/coding or you're just really crafty



Bit of both, but I didn't read or write a single line of this code, the bots are good enough now that it doesn't make sense for anything that doesn't have real consequences. The barriers have never been lower.


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680130 -

Great idea. :super:


--------------------
The Combo Tek - Easy grow method for newbies and pros alike

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: veggie]
    #29680134 -

This is a great idea. Keep us updated, please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680164 -

Quote:
Rasmodius said:

Bit of both, but I didn't read or write a single line of this code, the bots are good enough now that it doesn't make sense for anything that doesn't have real consequences. The barriers have never been lower.



This is so true, and honestly this tek might be the most revolutionary tech in at-home cult that I wouldn't be surprised that this practice spreads like wildfire, especially for the cultivators who have endless cultures like verum subsequentis

Edited by langten69 (09/27/26 11:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: langten69]
    #29680174 -

That verum thread is the kind of process I built this for (I'm doing serial dilution for monos, I'll make a thread eventually when it picks back up), and I think it could catch on among people who are doing big plate hunts like that, but generally will remain super niche. Even with the coding barriers removed, it's a chore and a project all its own.

But those plate photos are the kind of thing I want. Just a library of all my shit. I like records but it's gotta be easy or I won't do it. So many plates where I'm like wait, what did this look like last week? Which of the 5000 plate photos is it, everything in my phone looks the same. This one seems like it's fast, or doing better, but is it really?

And I want to be able to throw more stuff away. Right now I feel like I have to hang on to everything because IDK what's redundant etc. A list that shows me I have 7 old plates of some wack shit would be nice.

Verum's a madman for that one. So much organization and high quality recordkeeping.

edit:
Oh shit if the plate stand was a pane of glass instead of the current rack, it could be bottom lit, and then the sticker would be better lit and it could take photos like his from the top automatically.

:mindblown:
we're fuckin doin that.


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Edited by Rasmodius (09/28/26 12:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680178 -

dude, I love the bottom lit idea

you could even install a gopro/fixed camera (from above looking down) to record plates in real time with time stamps

Edited by langten69 (09/28/26 01:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: langten69]
    #29680182 -

Yeah, honestly I gotta figure out condensation better. It's less of a problem when I'm not fridging things and have the lab temps dialed. But going from 35 to 75 and back more than once, a lot of my plates are basically unviewable with the lid on. Faht's gellan gum thread is lookin real tempting rn. I don't think I can handle that much churn in my process at the moment, but shit it'd be lovely if all my plates were that crystal clear.


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius] * 1
    #29680245 -

:fuckinawesome:

My dear Rasmodius, that is the best bit of tinkering Iโ€™ve seen in a long time. Awesome idea, awesome execution. It almost makes me sorry that I only own 40 Petri dishes.


--------------------
resistance is futile you will be assimilated

:robawet:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: wearetheborg] * 1
    #29680322 -

I am digging it Ras. Very cool. Very creative.
When you get around to 2.0, add a laser and a microscope. Ai controlled, it finds and eliminates contams.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680371 -

Do you have a git for this I could pull it from?!I have been thinking about this idea for a while and have plenty of tokens for all of the big consumer models aswell as a fairly robust sovereign harness for local models I would love to use to contribute to this project!


๐Ÿ„๐Ÿงš


--------------------
Read the guide, read it again, understand the guide, then start the hobby.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm having fun doing it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: shroom_fae]
    #29680470 -

shroom_fae said:
Do you have a git for this I could pull it from?!I have been thinking about this idea for a while and have plenty of tokens for all of the big consumer models aswell as a fairly robust sovereign harness for local models I would love to use to contribute to this project!
๐Ÿ„๐Ÿงš



It's local rn but I'll at least zip it up for you tonight. I haven't decided how do to git as rasmodius yet. GH is a microsoft product, and thus effectly a US government entity, so there are some opsec implications. I'm by no means perfect in that regard, and choose to soften my opsec because I find showing up for forum stuff to be rewarding enough for the risk. So I'm open to suggestions. Same with YT. I'd like to make videos (and I made a couple that I've sent to some people on here to preview), but those services are so hostile to both mushcult content and VPN traffic that I'm hesitant to invest in something that's just gonna get banhammered later.

Open to thoughts.

Anyway TLDR I'll get you the code one way or another.


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680474 -

Im Sure there must be a code repository that is more proxy friendly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680478 -

Oh snap, cool project. :rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29680483 -

Oh yea, sorry I am using "git" generically as any sort of SVN.

For privacy and anonymity purposes we could use radicle? I use it all of the time, but would run new keys for this.


https://radicle.dev/

If you're feeling extra paranoid we could discuss self hosted options over Tor?

Let me know how I can help!

๐Ÿ„๐Ÿงš


--------------------
Read the guide, read it again, understand the guide, then start the hobby.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm having fun doing it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: shroom_fae]
    #29680493 -

shroom_fae said:
Oh yea, sorry I am using "git" generically as any sort of SVN.

For privacy and anonymity purposes we could use radicle? I use it all of the time, but would run new keys for this.


https://radicle.dev/

If you're feeling extra paranoid we could discuss self hosted options over Tor?

Let me know how I can help!

๐Ÿ„๐Ÿงš



Legend! good thinking on the anonymous friendly options :rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: langten69]
    #29682796 -

:threadmonitor:

I need something like this once I get to master plates as I want em looking neat and my hand writing is atrocious :laugh2:


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Automated agar plate scanner [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29682804 -

Youre a madman.  Also, we have almost the same handwriting


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes myceliumeyes 65 6 09/29/26 04:31 AM
by myceliumeyes
* Re: mold in agar plate Anonymous 14,257 3 12/04/99 12:35 AM
by Anonymous
* please help, brown slime like growth on agar plates decgrow4 2,989 8 02/27/08 02:15 AM
by CureCat
* agar plates??? aful 1,307 7 05/09/08 07:49 AM
by aful
* Agar Plates Akira 2,135 18 01/13/06 11:17 AM
by shymanta
* Whats with my agar plates? Frankenstein 9,625 8 09/08/22 03:46 PM
by schpat
* Agar plates and gas exchange.. musher_420 2,163 3 03/21/07 11:44 PM
by musher_420
* What to do with 1st agar plate fromthemoon 1,465 3 09/07/06 03:20 PM
by monstermitch

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
191 topic views. 17 members, 209 guests and 264 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.