Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29546505 -

Thank you for putting this together, as a newbie this makes the agar selection process way less intimidating.

Question — how does one put agar to BRF cakes? Just pop a gloomp in on top same as GS, or do you inject it, and if so, how?

(I’m still working on getting clean myc on agar, but BRF cakes have grown well for me when the same MSS put to grain went a couple shades of green, so I’m already a believer in its ability to get fruits out of nasty nasty syringes. I’d thought it was a matter of isolating the contams but I shredded one of those cakes into coir and saw nothing out of the ordinary and it smelled like pure essence of fresh clean shrooms; that box is about to pin with no signs of grossness, so you could feed me some line about the synergistic effect of BRF and vermiculite and I’d be inclined to buy it.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: Yermahm]
    #29546512 -

Thank you! Fantastic write up. As you know this took a lot of effort. It is very much appreciated.
:thumbup::mushroom2:
:goodday:


--------------------
"The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself."

Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: Yermahm]
    #29546717 -

Yermahm said:
Thank you for putting this together, as a newbie this makes the agar selection process way less intimidating.

Question — how does one put agar to BRF cakes? Just pop a gloomp in on top same as GS, or do you inject it, and if so, how?

(I’m still working on getting clean myc on agar, but BRF cakes have grown well for me when the same MSS put to grain went a couple shades of green, so I’m already a believer in its ability to get fruits out of nasty nasty syringes. I’d thought it was a matter of isolating the contams but I shredded one of those cakes into coir and saw nothing out of the ordinary and it smelled like pure essence of fresh clean shrooms; that box is about to pin with no signs of grossness, so you could feed me some line about the synergistic effect of BRF and vermiculite and I’d be inclined to buy it.)



You might find BRF pucks interesting


--------------------
Feeling lost here? We get it. Here's the most up-to-date guide as of 2026.


I know I'm a fool, but that's why I keep trying to learn.
:peace::heart::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: Yermahm] * 2
    #29547514 -

Yermahm said:
Thank you for putting this together, as a newbie this makes the agar selection process way less intimidating.

Question — how does one put agar to BRF cakes? Just pop a gloomp in on top same as GS, or do you inject it, and if so, how?

(I’m still working on getting clean myc on agar, but BRF cakes have grown well for me when the same MSS put to grain went a couple shades of green, so I’m already a believer in its ability to get fruits out of nasty nasty syringes. I’d thought it was a matter of isolating the contams but I shredded one of those cakes into coir and saw nothing out of the ordinary and it smelled like pure essence of fresh clean shrooms; that box is about to pin with no signs of grossness, so you could feed me some line about the synergistic effect of BRF and vermiculite and I’d be inclined to buy it.)



I used to use every plate I made and the ones that were contaminated that I would transfer from I would totally put to BRF just because of the medium and its synergistic behaviours.

I would eliminate the dry layer in my jars and just plop the whole agar plate onto the BRF. I use condiment cups so the fit is better.

I've got a lot of fruits from ugly agar by doing this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29549520 -

There’s 2 plates of Melmac culture and the colouring seems to change slightly and I’m unsure it’s just the mycelium or something else.

One at 12 o’clock on the plate and the other a little here and there. I don’t want to drop them to grain if there off at all.

Any clarification would be amazing either way 😁.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: DV8DUG] * 1
    #29613448 -

Ohhhh, I am very excited about this!  Fingers crossed that it’ll clean up my dirty APE and its nasty halo!





Thanks for sharing this tek! 

Edited by Chelonia (06/29/26 08:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: Chelonia]
    #29624856 -

Terrific guide especially for new growers, I had to re-read it twice to start to pick up on some of the patterns. It's very humbling to not be able to pick up on everything quickly, but now at least in the pictures I feel like I'm understanding the basics of the patterns better. It seems like ordered and consistent behavior is important. So identifying how growth reacts to shape of the transplanted material and checking if the same edges are causing the growth to appear similarly in other parts of the plate.

I naively thought that strong growth was the most important aspect, and it would be as simple as contaminated plates with visible goop/mold, but that's not the whole story. Order, uniformity, and agar texture are important. It's really about taking the whole picture and looking at everything from different angles, asking your agar questions about what you're seeing and mentally testing and confirming it. And of course, testing and transplanting irregular regions of growth is the best way to test and continue to learn it ourselves.

Identifying these patterns and observations take time and dissecting my own failures and successes. However, this guide is helping me start with wheels on my bike instead of pogo sticks. Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Removing Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29677263 -

Thanks for the guide! Super helpful!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: phenyl]
    #29677268 -

phenyl said:
AspectOfTheCreator said:
Anyone know if the trench technique would work if the contaminant was a mold?



won't do shit



So trenching is basically useful only for bacteria?

DV, for which contaminants do you find it useful?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Agar Plates and Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook [Re: koma23]
    #29683658 -

I use it to clean anything other than mushroom. I also store my plates vertically so any bacteria just runs down. Gravity can be our friend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* First Agar Plates - Would Appreciate Some Experienced Eyes myceliumeyes 75 6 09/29/26 04:31 AM
by myceliumeyes
* Re: mold in agar plate Anonymous 14,268 3 12/04/99 12:35 AM
by Anonymous
* Whats with my agar plates? Frankenstein 9,631 8 09/08/22 03:46 PM
by schpat
* How many mycelium syringes from one agar plate? BBShrizz 5,522 3 05/10/01 02:10 AM
by ISaToriBluEI
* agar plates... Fluxburn 1,801 10 02/11/05 08:30 PM
by Fluxburn
* storing peroxide agar plates for later use ohmatic 1,372 2 01/09/05 03:18 PM
by ohmatic
* Automated agar plate scanner
( 1 2 all )
Rasmodius 362 26 10/04/26 07:12 AM
by langten69
* Slidewich Tek: An agar plate that's also a microscope slide
( 1 2 all )
Rasmodius 519 38 10/04/26 04:53 PM
by Rasmodius

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
9,457 topic views. 7 members, 76 guests and 141 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.