Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator] * 1
    #29668513 -

Nice one dude, these look like liberty caps. Im not a trusted identifier on this site but I've hunted them for years. Keep them and dry them, seasons just started and now you've got your first you know what to look for. If your ever unsure its always best practice to get some opinions in this thread

much love bro


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy] * 1
    #29668521 -

Back again, short walk on the high moor after work. Incredibly foggy conditions today almost got completely lost haha serves me right for going so far without GPS. Not as lucky with the caps I imagine this lingering warmth is only allowing pockets to grow. When I do find them I'm usually finding big clusters which for this early in the season and the conditions not really being quite right yet its a good indicator for the season we are in for. Only found 15 or so.





These where the conditions today the fog speaks for itself in the images, quite spooky when the moors is like that so I didn't fancy walking too deep.




Much love folks, painting a house on the moor tomorrow funnily enough so I'll be up there all day so I'll be back with my findings.


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29668530 -

Thank you. This is very helpful:-)

I've read a fair amount of advice on how to identify them and watched quite a few detailed videos, so I feel that I know what I am doing. But, making one mistake here might be one too many haha hence I am fairly apprehensive.

As far as I know there's no other mushroom that looks so much alike the ones I picked, right? If you consider stringy stem without ring, dark going upward gills, darker bottom edge. Plus the place of picking - not wood, dung etc. I cant really go wrong. Or is the something more I should be aware of?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator] * 1
    #29668559 -

Depends on location really, always lean on the side of skepticism when picking mushrooms to eat. Fortunately when in season liberty caps aren't really rare so if you end up throwing a dodgy one away it's not really the end of the world. Your finds are a good example to use when out in the field, look at the many other contributions to the thread and you can really start to understand the shapes and colours the liberty cap can have.

For the lookalikes there are actually quite a few that people regularly pick up from time to time thinking its a liberty cap, I'd have a look at these specifically and I would suggest you also learn their characteristics too;
Protostropharia semiglobata (Dung Roundhead)
Panaeolina foenisecii (Brown Mottlegill)
Panaeolus Papilionaceus/fimicola

Sorry for the word goop hahaha just trying to be as detailed as possible, there are loads of grassland fungi that can look close and can trick people, keep going though mate when the temps start to drop you'll start finding more. Keep us posted on your finds :tongue:


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29668655 -

The mottlegills tricked me a few times when I was first starting out but they tend to be bigger than libs. And they've not got that slimey coating.

Hoping to get out in the East Midlands soon but it might be a bit early here. A couple years ago the field right on my doorstep suddenly got sheep in it after literally decades of cattle. Felt like a sign! I never got to look in a sheep field before, hopefully a couple years of them grazing and all this rain will have created perfect conditions but you never can tell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29668891 -

From my research I gather that:

Dung Roundhead look much rounder and they have creamy gills.

Brown Mottlegill have dark stem and creamy gills.

Panaelous Papilionaceus - dark stem and bottom of the cap is brighter, rather than darker.

So, at least in theory, they should be fairly easy to distinguish.

I think I find Dewdrop Mottlegill the most convincing lookalike.

With the ones I found yesterday my biggest issue is that the nipples on them are not that pronounced. Otherwise they seemed quite an obvious choice.

How long did it take for you guys, before you got confident in picking these up?

Also, I read that Liberty Caps can be stronger than Golden Teacher or McKennaii, hence dosing can vary?

Edited by Velocitator (09/15/26 03:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator]
    #29668902 -

Velocitator said:
From my research I gather that:

Dung Roundhead look much rounder and they have creamy gills.

Brown Mottlegill have dark stem and creamy gills.

Panaelous Papilionaceus - dark stem and bottom of the cap is brighter, rather than darker.

So, at least in theory, they should be fairly easy to distinguish.

I think I find Dewdrop Mottlegill the most convincing lookalike.

With the ones I found yesterday my biggest issue is that the nipples on them are not that pronounced. Otherwise they seemed quite an obvious choice.

How long did it take for you guys, before you got confident in picking these up?

Also, I read that Liberty Caps can be stronger than Golden Teacher or McKennaii, hence dosing can vary?



Dung roundhead can be quite variable and in fact sometimes have a semilanceata-like appearance with a sharp pointy umbo on the cap.
But it invariably has broadly attached gills, more or less 90 degrees against the stem. Another detail is it gets really slimy in moist conditions,
including the stem - like literally dripping with slime, whereas libs are just sticky.

But yeah, libs are easy to distinguish once you have picked a few, and the lookalikes cease to be just that as soon as you pick them up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Anglerfish]
    #29668928 -

Once again, thank you for all the comments. You guys are very helpful :smile: :heart: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator]
    #29669352 -

Velocitator said:
Also, I read that Liberty Caps can be stronger than Golden Teacher or McKennaii, hence dosing can vary?



This question comes up a lot and to be honest I don't think we can really confirm either or, Both have been tested countless times and it seems with each test made it produces a different answer, concentrations of psilocybin vary massively from 0.10%-3% in both species.

From personal experience I'd put liberty caps as hitting harder than cubensis, but it really is luck of the draw with mushrooms sometimes :tongue:


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29669437 -

more caps from today, same heights as before. Local populations seem restricted to small pockets in areas that are trapping moisture. The caps I found today were significantly more mature than where I was the last couple days. Progress is slow but with the way the weather will be turning this autumn it shouldn't be long.



Lots of different shapes and sizes present.



This was a nice photo to get for new hunters, this really shows the colour they can take on when dry and moist.





Take care people, hope your all doing well.


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29671191 -

Once again thank you for all the replies I received so far :smile:

I went for another hunt today. This time slightly higher up the hill. I was very confident when going up there, and I came back humbled haha.

I've seen tons of Dung Roundheads, and quite a few other lookalikes, but spotting actual Caps in the grass is rather difficult. At least for now, because there's still not that many there.

But I had a few interesting finds and I wonder what are your opinions on them :confused: :grin:






These look even paler in reality, I read that Caps can have albino mutation and I was wondering could that be it? Stems are quite mushy though and the skirt on one of them is ragged, which makes me think these might be something else...











I was quite suspicious regarding these when I was picking them up (all grew together in one bunch) - not very cone shaped, especially big one (fell apart, on the righ of the bunch) was quite wide. Saying that they have peelable skin and dark gills etc.














These I was very confident picking, not so much now haha. All grew in various spots, couple of them literally next to dung roundheads. Seem to have all the characteristics, but now after taking the photos I am not so sure anymore.

Help appreciated :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator] * 1
    #29671257 -

Wow dude, good finds you've done very well here.

For the ones you picked out as fakes you've got the right idea. They look like some sort of mycena sp. my word isn't bond im not a trusted id'er but judging by the characteristics i'd guess M. olivaceomarginata

The rest all look like liberty caps so give them a good drying and add into the collection. Keep going dude.


--------------------
You don't need a cosmic reason to enjoy the sun on your skin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29671301 -

Amazing,glad to hear that! 😄

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: Velocitator]
    #29671766 -

Looks like libs there at the later pictures. Checking for a gelatinous pellicle is a good test for lookalikes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: phossy]
    #29671810 -

Hello I have found what I believe to be a liberty cap which looked a little old when I got to it. I did find a singular lavrae in it but ive removed it and put the thing to dry.

Firstly, have I identified the mushroom correctly?

Secondly, is the mushroom is safe is this condition?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: blackbyte10]
    #29671823 -

Here's the image:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: blackbyte10]
    #29671831 -

Hard to tell in that condition but the stem and cap colour points towards a lib. Not an identifier by any means tho 😅 I wouldn’t eat it, best to chuck it and find some more, you’ll need 20+ for a nice amount of dried anyways

Edited by skinnyyy (09/18/26 05:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: skinnyyy]
    #29671843 -

Im currently working with 2 sheep fields a quick walk from mine bordering the m6. They dont seem to produce much but im planning on repeatedly harvesting the same spots over the months to get a good amount.

Im gonna keep it and air dry it, ill keep it seperate from the good finds though just in case!

Also I have found some mushrooms that looks insanely similar to liberty caps exactly where I found a patch of them a day prior, the only difference being a snappable stem, grey gills and no purple black spore colouring around the bottom. Any clue as to what it is?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: blackbyte10]
    #29671960 -

The image you gave here is definitely a lib. You should put them on paper to dry them though, helps absord moisture.

Best tek is in a cardboard box like a shoe box, lay a sheet of paper on the bottom and place the libs on top. Just chuck it in a dry cupboard and they'll be cracker dry in 3 days. Make sure you leave the lid off.

The more you use the same box though the slower they get so you should swap it out with a new one every 2 or 3 hauls.


And honestly don't worry too much about maggots - literally every lib is teemin with them. Also when you dry them out they tend to leave the mushroom in search of moisture elsewhere, usually dying on the paper.

It is however very important that you DO NOT eat black or dark and slimy rotten ones, it just has to be said. The maggots themselves aren't toxic but their slimy black shit is.


--------------------
"For long you'll live and high you'll fly but only if you ride the tide,
'cause balanced on the biggest wave, you'll race towards an early grave."


"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
for plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines."




06/09/24

42 :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ***OFFICIAL UK Liberty Cap (Ps. Semilanceata) thread 2026*** [Re: wtoxic323]
    #29672097 -

I am excited to present you with more finds from Peak District. I feel that I am getting a hang of this, but better safe than sorry so I would appreciate your opinions guys! :heart:

It was rainy, dark and windy :-)




I found two bunches. These here were growing in one bunch:







And here's the second bunch:





So, what do we think? Can I take my wife to a happy place today? :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* UK Liberty Cap (P.semilanceata) MY BEST PICKS (pic) SalviaEngland 4,831 19 10/21/04 11:51 AM
by phishhead
* liberty caps?
( 1 2 all )
Zen Peddler 10,373 29 08/25/02 10:11 PM
by Zen Peddler
* P. pelliculosa vs P. semilanceata Imobiletoe 2,962 3 10/20/03 10:56 AM
by mjshroomer
* Liberty Cap Dosage?
( 1 2 all )
DocPsilocybin 56,902 39 10/24/19 10:02 AM
by Anglerfish
* Re: Liberty caps mjshroomer 1,508 2 05/03/01 08:13 PM
by mjshroomer
* UK Liberty Caps out early
( 1 2 all )
astralasia 18,356 20 07/30/04 05:32 AM
by astralasia
* UK Liberty Caps hunting pictures & info.. SalviaEngland 17,029 6 10/14/20 06:52 AM
by Jatzan
* UK Liberty Cap hunt report Sin Bad 21,466 4 11/07/03 12:24 PM
by canid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,627 topic views. 0 members, 25 guests and 36 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.