Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineImobiletoe
Loc: Seattle, WA
P. pelliculosa vs P. semilanceata
    #2024678 - 10/20/03 06:52 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Maybe someone can unravel this mystery for me... I'm sorry I'm a goddam newbie but hey even MJshroomer says he had a hard time distinguising the difference between P. pelliculosa and P.semilanceata when he was a newbie... I can't tell man... anyone? all the pictures seem to have a crossover point to me.

The differneces I have found studying them seem to be that the semilanceatas are more adnexed and the pelliculosa gills are more adnate... Is that it? is there more too add? cause that seems like such a small difference to me...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: P. pelliculosa vs P. semilanceata [Re: Imobiletoe]
    #2024693 - 10/20/03 07:07 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

The biggest difference is the habitat/substrate.

P. semi. grows in grassy areas, whereas P. pell. grows on conifer compost/debris.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (10/20/03 01:54 PM)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: P. pelliculosa vs P. semilanceata [Re: Joshua]
    #2025039 - 10/20/03 11:48 AM (14 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Joshua said:
The biggest difference is the habitat/substrate.

P. semi. grows in grassy areas, whereas P. pell. grows in the woods under conifers.

Joshua

Joshua hit the nail on the head with that one.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: P. pelliculosa vs P. semilanceata [Re: Gumby]
    #2025189 - 10/20/03 12:56 PM (14 years, 3 days ago)

ACtually they grow in the clear-cuts, not dierctly in the woods. When I first collected P. semilanceata, I had no photographs of P. semilanceata, but i did have a picture of P. pelliculosa from Alewxander H. Smith's Field Guide to Western Mushrooms.

Here are pictures of P. pelliculosa:

http://mushroomjohn.com/species38.htm

and the liberty cap P. semilanceata:

http://mushroomjohn.com/species43.htm

Mj, they grow abundantly in clearcuts where alder starts to grow like planbted corn, along the trails and original logging roads into and out of the clearcuts. They grow there by the hundreds of thousands if it is a big clearcut.

very rarely small colonies may apear in a man-made environment but that is extrememly rare.

I posted some beautiful images here of P. pelliculosa. Photographed in a clearcut near Kingston, Washington. As you can see they are growing in alder branches. In trhe clear-cut. The P. pelliculosas also have shorter stems than the liberty caps and colors rancve from a P. stuntzii brown to a reddidh-brown color. Eventually to a dark straw color Here is one

and here is a picture of some liberty caps from a pasture which aare a light tanish-brown and also dry to a straw col0r and the stems can range from a small two inches or in cut short lawns or fields of sheep who constanly mow grass, but extemely rare in Grass in the PNW to five to six inches tall in fields attached tot he roots of wild grasses. Most common in pastures with cattle rather than horses or sheep, although they sometimes are in those latter two field habitats.

and a here are a few with nipples

I would also point out that the stems of liberty caps are whitish to a straw-yellow color while the stems of P. pelliculosa are a brownish color with white specks on the stems or fibrils running up and down the length of the stems.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification