Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
A Second Time Grower’s Fuckups and a Question about G2G
    #29670754 -

Hello everyone!

    I’m Wheaty, a long time lurker and first time poster on the forums. I’m currently undertaking my second grow, after a surprisingly successful and misguided Uncle Ben’s tek in a college dorm that could be a good one for the confessionals.
    This second time around, I’m in a place of my own, and I’m trying to do things much more professionally. I got a presto PC to make grain jars. Used SFD covered holes in the lids, followed Beef’s wheat prep from the Hitchhiker’s Guide, and then got lazy and inoculated LC straight into them because, frankly, agar seemed like a lot.
    I used a SAB, and I think my sterile procedure was pretty good: shower, clean clothes, emptied and thoroughly wiped down my small guest room with iso, let the air settle, wore gloves, sprayed down SAB with soapy water and let that settle too, and made sure to hover nothing but the flame sterilized needle over the jars for the second they were open.
    I had three strains that I ordered from one of the vendors: B+, Golden Teachers, and Enigmas. I knew the enigmas would be weird and hard, so that was mostly for fun. I shot up 4 jars per strain, at 2.5ccs a jar. Then, they got put on a shelf in the guest room closet, which is in the basement and averages a pretty perfect 70-75° night and day. That was September 1st.

    Fast forward to now, I fear things are not looking great. To start, the Enigmas took off, which I found unusual as really the only consistent advice I’ve seen about them is their slow growth. They started white, but it was fuzzy and cobwebby in a concerning way, and now there’s orange and purple spots, so they are definitely not growing mycelium in there.




  The Golden teachers started off much better, with a slow but steady bloom of mycelium out from the injection point and where the LC ran down. Come the 8th, though—shaking day—their growth ceased pretty much entirely. I shook them and there they have sat, slightly fuzzy but dormant. From what I know, that means bacteria was present and was spread around by the shake.




    So, finally the B+, my strongest soldiers. They started off quicker than the golden teachers, but not as weirdly fast as the enigmas. They had a quick recovery after the shake, and strong rhizomorphic growth.




Right now they’re sitting at right around 95% colonization one week after the shake, and here’s where my real question comes in. I was expecting a yield of three tubs, maybe two depending on the enigmas. Now that 8 of my jars are kaput, I’m wondering if I should go all in on the B+ and try to do g2g.  Do the jars I’ve shown look clean enough for that to be a good idea? As far as I know, any contamination in the other two strains came straight from the syringe, as all 4 jars of both got infected in the same way. The B+ looks clean, and I believe I can do g2g procedure sterile-ly enough that I shouldn’t introduce anything new. Is this a good idea? Would it be smart to do a low ratio, like 1:4 master to new jars?

I know all this could have been avoided with agar, and I will certainly be making some plates for my next attempt, but any input you guys might have to save this fucked up one will be much appreciated,

That’s it, sorry for the wall of text.

Wheaty out!

Edited by Wheaty (09/16/26 09:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A Second Time Grower’s Fuckups and a Question about G2G [Re: Wheaty]
    #29670763 -

Wait for the B+ to fully colonize then do g2g. 1 would do a 1:10 master to new grain ratio

And I agree the contam was probably in the LC already

Now that you know the pitfalls that happen without agar, get prepared to start loving agar work

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* new grower. simple question. whiterastahippie 1,099 4 08/20/02 05:32 PM
by daussaulit
* First time grower, some questions GetUpKid 1,268 8 06/16/01 04:13 PM
by Nagual
* HELP! First Time Grower With Questions about MycoBag Growing Tex 925 3 05/21/03 01:17 PM
by Prisoner#1
* Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers
( 1 2 3 4 ... 4022 4023 )
Nichrome 1,155,673 80,458 10/02/26 08:19 AM
by Blopblop
* G2G Question... PDU 1,236 2 04/24/03 04:51 PM
by SixTango
* Newbie fuckup maria420 954 3 06/30/01 12:27 AM
by Billyblastoff
* New grower needs a mentor. delekhan23 2,267 18 10/29/01 01:45 AM
by 40oz
* a few fuckups on my part PIC farva86 650 2 03/24/07 08:39 AM
by Prisoner#1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
40 topic views. 15 members, 61 guests and 96 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.