Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: matsc]
    #29654862 -

I dunno. With all due respect, it seems possible to me that you're just being a little paranoid.

Yeah, my dehydrator gets pretty stinky when running fully loaded. Wife always complained about it before we got a place with a basement. The kitchen and dining room sit right at the top of the basement stairs, with the dehydrator right there at the bottom. It's only really noticeable in the first few hours (as Rev mentioned), and even then only when you're actually in the basement.

To answer your question about where the smell goes with my own half-assed speculation based on experience:
I don't think it goes anywhere. I think the compounds creating the odor just sort of get blown out of the dehydrator, and then fairly quickly oxidize and dry out. You mentioned the bathroom making things worse on account of the humid air, so that kinda tracks with what I'm thinking. Unlike smoke of any kind, or many cooking odors, there doesn't appear to be any residual odor once the fruits are dried down and the unit is turned off. I think the compounds we're smelling are just super volatile.

What kind of a building do you live in? I'm struggling to imagine a place that's so flimsily constructed that what amounts to an intense cooking smell permeates throughout, but where there aren't then also all sorts of other off smells in the mix (mildew, trash, pets, etc.).

Anyway, the only actual suggestion I havw is to shred your fruits and not pack them in too tightly, so that they get past that initial stinky phase more quickly.


--------------------

Edited by B Traven (08/25/26 10:32 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29654928 -

B Traven said:
I dunno. With all due respect, it seems possible to me that you're just being a little paranoid.

Yeah, my dehydrator gets pretty stinky when running fully loaded. Wife always complained about it before we got a place with a basement. The kitchen and dining room sit right at the top of the basement stairs, with the dehydrator right there at the bottom. It's only really noticeable in the first few hours (as Rev mentioned), and even then only when you're actually in the basement.

To answer your question about where the smell goes with my own half-assed speculation based on experience:
I don't think it goes anywhere. I think the compounds creating the odor just sort of get blown out of the dehydrator, and then fairly quickly oxidize and dry out. You mentioned the bathroom making things worse on account of the humid air, so that kinda tracks with what I'm thinking. Unlike smoke of any kind, or many cooking odors, there doesn't appear to be any residual odor once the fruits are dried down and the unit is turned off. I think the compounds we're smelling are just super volatile.

What kind of a building do you live in? I'm struggling to imagine a place that's so flimsily constructed that what amounts to an intense cooking smell permeates throughout, but where there aren't then also all sorts of other off smells in the mix (mildew, trash, pets, etc.).

Anyway, the only actual suggestion I havw is to shred your fruits and not pack them in too tightly, so that they get past that initial stinky phase more quickly.



I also thought for some time no chance it's me but, when I thought again, it's ground floor, next to elevator, windows often left open, door often crack open because of a cat, and landlord hinted something also... I thought, maybe it is noticeable and I just got used to it? You know when you enter somebody's place and you know instantly if there is a smoker there? :smile:
When dehydrator(s) left in the bathroom (no windows) then apartment stinks noticeably for some time when you enter, like humidity changes the smell a bit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: chowyunfat]
    #29654974 -

chowyunfat said:
I also thought for some time no chance it's me but, when I thought again, it's ground floor, next to elevator, windows often left open, door often crack open because of a cat, and landlord hinted something also... I thought, maybe it is noticeable and I just got used to it? You know when you enter somebody's place and you know instantly if there is a smoker there? :smile:
When dehydrator(s) left in the bathroom (no windows) then apartment stinks noticeably for some time when you enter, like humidity changes the smell a bit.



Yeah, OK, that makes a lot of sense then.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: chowyunfat] * 2
    #29654978 -

Maybe make a nice curry dish after you start the dehydrator.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: LadysKnight] * 2
    #29654988 -

:camping:

What kind of curry are you thinking?

Mushroom soup is tasty.
https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/creamy-mushroom-soup-with-thyme-675744d5daedc2bd12958283


--------------------
🌾💮🫘🥖

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: hellofresh] * 2
    #29655000 -

The stinky kind :lol: :shrug:
Soup sounds perfect :rockon:


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dehydrating smell possible solutions? [Re: matsc]
    #29678833 -

matsc said:
Yep! Granted exactly how good it will do depends on the room size, fan speed, mushroom quantity, etc. But setting it up to just recirculate has served me well in the past.



The ducting I've got on there isn'tnecessary, im just too lazy to remove it. It's just as happy blowing up at the ceiling.



Thank you again dear Sir!! :smile:

I did just this and it works. Works well when plucking fruits, and when dehydrating. It's a bit noisier than dehydrator, sounds like a small fan heater, so it's ok. There are a little bits of carbon when I move it around, I hope it's just there from transport and that it will not keep shedding carbon dust :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* stinky mycobags. amyloid 808 5 01/18/04 08:25 PM
by simplemachine
* Smells like Broccoli
( 1 2 all )
AllyKat 2,362 28 05/18/05 10:11 AM
by AllyKat
* where is that rotten aples smell coming from!?! rebelmoon 2,052 11 03/21/02 02:05 AM
by rebelmoon
* How long can Pasteurized poo sit for? resin 2,741 12 09/06/03 08:18 AM
by foxxybrown
* fruity smell *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Grenade01 3,244 25 04/07/20 03:33 PM
by Demetrius18
* Do shrooms smell while growing? Raster_Master 24,003 12 02/25/02 03:46 PM
by Northernsoul
* My shit dont stink! hyper_dermic 1,027 18 07/10/03 12:33 AM
by hyper_dermic
* stinky as f**k to non stinky Anonymous 1,328 14 10/25/02 07:48 PM
by Suntzu

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
433 topic views. 14 members, 103 guests and 342 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 15 queries.