Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Smells like Broccoli
    #4188556 - 05/17/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I opened my incubator today to check on the cakes that were put in on Sunday evening.

A pungent smell of old Broccoli came wafting out.

Obviously it is some type of contamination but I have no clue what.

Any ideas as to what it is, and how to proceed?

How can I figure out which jar it is (or if it is all of them) and what could have caused this?

I followed all the same strict sterilization procedures I always follow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: AllyKat]
    #4188612 - 05/17/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I went through the jars one by one and took the foil off the top and they all appear to be giving off that smell.

I'm guessing this means they are all bad.

I don't suppose there is any way it's normal for 2 day old jars that have been in an incubator to smell like old broccoli? This isn't possibly some type of gas that 15 jars would naturally emit if warm?

The only things I can think of that were different from my original sterilization methods are as follows:

Placed jars in incubator immediately.

Left foil on top of jars.

Used Jars that had been previously used with non-contaminated cakes. (Put jars through dishwasher, dried them, before use)

Did not immediately change air filter before beginning (although a mold/allergen filter was in use)

Spore syringes went through mail system for a LONG time before arriving.

Any advise people? I'm feeling like I should just throw all 15 away.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #4188687 - 05/17/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What have been your incubation temps??

Throw em all away right now.. you said you opened them all. This invites contamination anyway. It's very possible that your sterilization attempts were less than desired. Read and re-read the FAQ's.

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: Sammy]
    #4188702 - 05/17/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No, I did not open any of them. I merely removed the foil from the top in an attempt to determine which jars were emitting the odor.

This is my fourth grow, and my previous 3 have been 100% successful with no contaminants.

Let me repeat, 100% successful, absolutely no contaminants. Not a single jar lost. So, I think I've been doing something right.

My sterilization methods were the same this time (with the exception of the things I mentioned above).

Everything removed from kitchen, entire kitchen SOAKED in lysol. Floor mopped with antibacterial mopping solution, all dishes done, garbage bages taped up to isolate one counter space. That area soaked in lysol even more. hands sprayed with lysol, needles flame sterilized, etc etc

I've read the FAQ on this page, and many, many others, repeatedly.

My incubation temps were around 84 degrees.

Is it possible my spores were bad?

Edited by AllyKat (05/17/05 08:22 PM)

InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
    #4188749 - 05/17/05 08:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Guys be carefull when snorting around for comtams...
Snorting contams can make you sick..*pukes green :crazy:

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: PawPaw]
    #4188768 - 05/17/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I was very hesitant to smell the jars.

I didn't know what else to do, being that there were no visible contaminations.

I hoped that perhaps it was only a few jars that were contaminated, and that I would be able to toss those jars and isolate the rest.

I smelled very lightly.

In a situation like this, where the only sign of contamination is odor, and the jars all look the same, how else can you isolate the contaminated jars?

Getting sick would top this experience off just beautifully (note sarcasm)

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
    #4189049 - 05/17/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

could have been the syringe if they are all contaminated.

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: goofy98]
    #4190119 - 05/18/05 07:27 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

At this point, I am leaning heavily towards syringe. Especially since these particular syringes got lost in the mail for over 3 weeks. Who knows what kinds of conditions they were exposed to.

Makes me very hesitant to use the other two that I ordered at the same time.

I had never tried to immediately incubate before, could that in any way have been the cause? Do higher temperatures make bacteria growth more likely?

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4190136 - 05/18/05 07:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

out of curiosity, are you incubating in a TiT setup? if so its possible that the water in the tub is growing contams if you havent poured some bleech in there.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: waixingren]
    #4190171 - 05/18/05 08:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

what tek are you using? brf, wbs, rye?
definitely should have left the foil off after you inoculated them.
what is the pc method you used?

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: backupwards]
    #4190202 - 05/18/05 08:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am using basic PF TEK. I use 2/3 Verm, 1/4 BRF, 1/4 Water as instructed in one of the grow guides. This is the same Tek I have used the past 3 times with success.

Previously, I have always removed the foil from the top, however, in the incubator I am using, water will occasionally gather on the lid of the rubbermaid container and drip down. I did not want water to drip down into the jars. So, I replaced the foil VERY LIGHTLY, so that it could act as a barrier for the water.

The incubator is 1 10 gallon aquarium, filled with a mixture of H202 and water. In the 10 gallon tank is a submersible aquarium heater with a thermostat. It was set at 90 to initially warm the cold water, and was then lowered to 84 once the water was no longer cold.

Inside the 10 gallon tank is a rubbermaid container, with about 3/4 of it under water and the top sticking out. I wrapped the aquarium in foil to help keep the heat in, and keep it dark.

This is very similar to the heaters I have seen on this sight that use two rubbermaid containers. Only difference is that my bottom container is a 10 gallon tank.

I'll photograph it when I get the chance.

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: backupwards]
    #4190205 - 05/18/05 08:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards said:
what tek are you using? brf, wbs, rye?
definitely should have left the foil off after you inoculated them.
what is the pc method you used?

Not certain what "PC" stands for. Could you elaborate?

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4190212 - 05/18/05 08:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

im sure he means pressure cooking. but on the note with the h202, h202 will break down with heat, im not sure at what temp but its possible that the h202 has worn off and you may be breeding contams in the water and causing the stinky stink.

--------------------

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4190216 - 05/18/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I also want to add that the rubbermaid container that was used was sterilized before the jars were placed inside. It was entirely sprayed down with lysol. The inoculation actually took place inside that rubbermaid container, and then the lid was placed on top.

Same thing I have done before, except I used to just put the rubbermaid container in the closet and let it sit. However, my Treasure Cost did not like the closet temperatures at all, so I built the incubator for them. My slow colonizing TC all colonized in the incubator and are now doing great in the grow chamber.

This morning I threw away all 15 of the smelly jars. I threw them away in the container. I intend to throw away everything they came into contact with. I will bleach my 10 gallon tank. They smelled so bad I could hardly even go near them. Like something dead. I have never smelled anything like that in my life. Disgusting.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4190223 - 05/18/05 08:23 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

PC = pressure cooker
if you are having condensation that heavy on your lid, try to decrease your rH some, that would be a little to high.
check your thermometer, make sure it reads right.
all sounds good, except for the smell. with wbs when incubating there is a slight smell, at least in mine. nothing bad though.

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smells like Broccoli [Re: waixingren]
    #4190251 - 05/18/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

waixingren said:
im sure he means pressure cooking. but on the note with the h202, h202 will break down with heat, im not sure at what temp but its possible that the h202 has worn off and you may be breeding contams in the water and causing the stinky stink.

I wish it was the water that smelled. The water smells fine. It was the jars that were emitting the smell. I didn't smell it until I opened the rubbermaid container. Also, the H202 was placed in the water on Sunday, so it has only been in there a few days.

In regards to pressure cooking, I did not use one. I boiled my jars for 1 hour + on the stove. Kept the lids on the pots until the time of inoculation. Same thing I have always done.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4190260 - 05/18/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

waixingren is right the h202 will heat off, the same as with most sanitizers, a 200mg/liter of bleach solution will last longer than h202.
did your cakes have any signs of colonization? if so, any place you could chuck them outside. nature will take care of any contams present and you could still get some reward from your efforts.
don't throw out your container, it can be sterilized and reused. too much of that in society today.
sorry for your loss and hope you have better luck next time.
invest in a pc, you won't be sorry. the pressure really helps to eliminate contams.

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4190262 - 05/18/05 08:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You know, I tried to convince myself that the smell was normal, but there is just no way. Not when you can't even stand to walk near the rubbermaid container.

I have always noticed a slight smell, but it is not unpleasant. Usually the smell reminds me of bread. This morning, it was really on the level of roadkill. When I dumped them in the garbage bin, I wondered if cops would be called to search the bin for bodies. That's how bad it was.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4190267 - 05/18/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

pewwwwwwwwwww.
some serious bacterial contamination going on. there was no visible growth in your jars?

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4190268 - 05/18/05 08:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I plan to invest in a PC soon, it will be my next major investment with this hobby.

I didn't know about keeping the container. I don't like takng risks in regards to contams. Just not worth it. Since it was plastic. I was not sure it could ever be fully sterilized. Plus, I didn't want to open it and endure the smell again.

There were no signs of colonization on any of the jars. I live in an apartment complex, so no place to dump them outside anyway.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale