Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | 1338 | 1339 | 1340 | 1341 | 1342 | 1343 | 1344 | | Last >
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #29634082 -

I don't think it's very dogmatic around here, except for in the case of really wrongheaded trich farming stuff (if there is a grapfruit sized green patch, one cannot "wait and see"), but that's realism that just happens to have the strength of dogma, and you're not in that category anyway so no worries.

The three candle thing seems questionable but you've got clean colonizing jars, so hey. I've also seen people like Home Mycology do the same thing using an open running oven on low temp to create a wide column of clean air. That guy is batshit insane, but he did seem to grow plenty of mushrooms, so it can be made to work.

I think that PF + water tub is definitely the right call for methods compatible with your situation.

As far as agar work, culture transfer and duplication, etc. If it were me in the situation, I would abandon plate work entirely and lean on a combination of reliable vendors and things that only every have to go through a silicone self healing injection port (SHIP). If you have the budget for self healing injection ports and RTV silicone, these can be added to both grain lids and LC lids. Do LC in the teeny mason jars or similar, so the needle can reach without having to tilt too much etc.

You can duplicate clean vendor LC this way and have a stock, or if cloning your own fruits, the only SAB-like work is a quick needle biopsy (josex poke like). Plain air etc is not ideal for this, but it can be gotten away with.

Then you have cake lids you can inject without ever opening, and LC lids you can both inoculate and draw from without ever opening, and all the needle work can be done at the living room table.


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29634086 -

seldom seen said:
There's no dogma in the air, and you've been dealt with gently.  You got butthurt and snappy twice after feeling marginalized that nobody wanted to wade through you triangle candle.  It's 2026, you can't buy shit with 10 dollars.



I appreciate the thoughtfulness. And I can assure you it didn't bother me nearly as much as you might think. I'm pretty used to "2026" by now.

If anything I wrote came across the wrong way or offended anyone, I'm sorry—that was never my intention.

Mateja said:
Just include a summary post explaining that you have bare minimun resources, dont write your entire background and story lol make it accessible for new posters to check out :thumbup:



Mateja, I'm going to leave the thread idea aside. If you decide to start one or write something along those lines, I'll be happy to read it and participate. Either way, I really appreciate the initiative.

Rasmodius, I really appreciate your input. I'll give it a try. I'll run a few tests tomorrow morning. In the end, only time will really answer those questions.

For now, I'll just keep doing what I can with what I have. I'll document my process in my grow log, and that's enough. And honestly, I hope I fail a few times so I can learn something new.

I've never aspired to be a master grower or to have a fully equipped lab. That's simply not my goal.

Anyway, thanks for everything.


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #29634092 -

Helping other's especially if they're in desperate need of help is so fulfilling and I appreciate you for that Pasty. A month ago I was mailing a couple of letters to someone in Egypt who has the same problems, their regime absolutely opens evey letter that comes from abroad so I tried different things, last try I cut a piece of a spore swab and stuck it under the stamp itself so they wouldnt find anything in the letter but that didnt get through either :oldman: apparently they're x-raying eveything in Egypt those bastards



Here's a CONFESSION-confession :uhoh:

Just picked up some more coir, gonna make a shit ton of cakes later, this is the same brand I've been using for a decade



The "dogma" around here would be to ABSOLUTELY avoid this brand, but my experience tells me I wont have any issues with it :shrug: Im not a scientist so the nutrient content description tells me nothing, my hunch is that this kind of nutrient density can not fascilitate germination and prolific growth, im sure it does something (it has to) but in my experience I've had sealed tubs for years full of this brand fully hydrated and it never went bad :tongue2:


Only one time did it mold, and that was when I left a wooden spatula inside, days later mold was growing on the spatula and around it :shrug: have a hard time blaiming the coir for that instance


--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub with optimal Surface Conditions

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Mateja]
    #29634095 -

Yeah for buddy in Iran it wasn't even the spores that were tough,  it was everything else. You can barely source clean water or a metal pot, let alone a pressure cooker.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GenesisCorrupted] * 1
    #29634107 -

GenesisCorrupted said:
I heard that you can have a really tiny shark though.
:smugjerry:
Like an itty-bitty one.



I’ll take an itty-bitty one. Just to say I own a shark.

Instapot crew checking in

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #29634119 -

~read this part first~  DO NOT USE MSS OR SPORES ON UNCLE BENS~. ~DISCLAIMER~ I ADD THIS HOPING IT ONLY HELPS AND DOES NOT GUIDE PEOPLE INTO DOING THE WRONG THINGS


So. I know you guys welcomed me and I know everyone's views on uncle Ben's rice though gonna say it anyways

U could order liquid cultures from a verified vendor and steal some uncle Ben's brown rice from Walmart or some shit lol and some jiffys mix n a roll of micropore tape n some tubs while u at it LOL

(Terrible advice in a way though Walmarts stole more than I've stolen from them so it's fineee)

Can easily keep it under 100$ meaning it's a misdemeanor and most the time Walmart won't evin stop people shoplifting under 100$ on top of they just write it for tax write off for all lost products + specifically train they're people to target people stealing closer to felonous amounts of stuff or large electronic bs lol

First time I grew shrooms I grew about 3 oz dry of blue meanies lol off 60$ worth of stuff lol 50$ was the cost of lc and grains and bulk substrate which I did legit yard soil lol (don't use yard soil use coir or jiffys mix Coco Bliss works great jiffys mix certain fungi prefer it's raised ph some fungi don't like it xd

Coco Bliss is all around acceptable for all fungi

(Ok now on to the slightly more acceptable version)

Get a pot n lotsa brown rice n u can toss those brown rice in jars once hydrated n cooked n u can steam sterilize ur grains just takes time n water n heat

Cocobliss I've had success with col tap water then spawning grains to it

Jiffys peat refiller bags I toss in a container and flash boil pasteurized it leaving it closed inside a container for a hr

(Had success with cold tap water jiffys though boil pasteurizing it breaks it up + I like to flash boil pasteurized my tubs I spawn to after I clean them with sope n water as a extra step to make sure it's clean


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Splittinghairs]
    #29634128 -

Splittinghairs said:
GenesisCorrupted said:
I heard that you can have a really tiny shark though.
:smugjerry:
Like an itty-bitty one.



I’ll take an itty-bitty one. Just to say I own a shark.

Instapot crew checking in



A lot of people shit on the Insta pot. I honestly had no issues running agar in it but since I've had the PC I haven't had any issues with my grains or my agar. I think people still need to vent and they don't. It's just so instant!
Why would they have to do anything they think.
:wtfsonic:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #29634132 -

Honestly if I was in prison I might try UB. But in the free world I would likely get a spore syringe or LC from a REPUTABLE vendor like sporeworks and use it to knock up an AIO bag from a REPUTABLE vendor. Probably be at least a coin flip for success. A coinflip +1

Basically use shit like that knowing there is a good chance it won't work and be okay with that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #29634133 -

So I just found out the fams got a autoclave they used years back for tattoo equipment :erictheangel:

Low key feel so stupid lol guess il see if I can't run a batch of no pours through it as a test run


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Edited by bloodssonnew (07/27/26 03:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29634162 -

Thanks, bloodssonnew!

We don't have Uncle Ben's here, but we do have something similar: little tubs of pre-cooked whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, or oats (whole grain), meant for the microwave. I've already thought about trying the rice or the oats (the oats seem like the better option to me), but they contain salt and sunflower oil... :rolleyes:

Actually, all I was asking for was some advice on maintaining humidity in a hot, dry climate, how finely the mushroom sample should be cut up for cloning, whether it makes sense to make water agar without a pressure cooker, people's thoughts on the whole "three heat sources" thing (just out of curiosity), and which of the varieties I just received I should try next... I'm not sure how we ended up at this point. :biggrin:

It's not like I'm completely broke, guys. I can afford some small expenses. Just... small ones, for now.


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29634163 -

I almost tried uncle bens before I came across discussion on the shroomery about how often failure would occur.


--------------------
Yeah it's fun, but have you ever tried it high?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #29634164 -

GenesisCorrupted said:
Splittinghairs said:
GenesisCorrupted said:
I heard that you can have a really tiny shark though.
:smugjerry:
Like an itty-bitty one.



I’ll take an itty-bitty one. Just to say I own a shark.

Instapot crew checking in



A lot of people shit on the Insta pot. I honestly had no issues running agar in it but since I've had the PC I haven't had any issues with my grains or my agar. I think people still need to vent and they don't. It's just so instant!
Why would they have to do anything they think.
:wtfsonic:



lol.

I have had no issues with Instapot even with no prep millet. I can feel Stipe reading this and losing his shit over it not being the proper way to prep and all.

I always vent for the 10 minutes minimally. And double all my times.

The only grain I had a lot of issues with was rye berries and I can honestly say I’m sure I had prep issues and my agar work was not top notch back then.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Splittinghairs] * 1
    #29634388 -

Instant pot gang. If god smited my presto and said I had to do the entire rest of my cult career out of an IP I wouldn't bat an eyelash. It's probably not the right thing to get just for cult, since a presto is about the same money. But the space, ease, and usefulness for human food are superior.

Shit imma make some rice tonight. 10PM let's carbshüvel.


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Rasmodius] * 2
    #29634444 -

Carbshüvelling always flerbs my Flarkituten.

Missed parts of the convo, but I know for a fact that PF tek can be done with a pot and a heatsource, and I'd like to shoot in woodlovers. Can be started from PF, expanded ad infinitum in non-sterile settings and you can just create patches wherever you happen to pass by. And possibly harvest from those during a future visit to those places. Anyway if you have one succesful spawnrun you can pretty much just cult with clipped toenails and boogers after that.

I confess to being overly enthusiastic about finding freshwater and seashells on the same beach. Got carried away there like the nerd that I am.

Hidingplace for the day:



Gonna take a morning shower in the river Elbe. Maybe with some more coffee. You people are all nuts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #29634472 -

Pastywhyte said:
Yeah for buddy in Iran it wasn't even the spores that were tough,  it was everything else. You can barely source clean water or a metal pot, let alone a pressure cooker.



gotta admire the grit and determination of people like this, trying to do a pro job on night-wraith level handicap. Trying to do the job of a chef with the ingredients he has on hand and the skill of a novice. probably futile, but ultimately praisworthy imo.


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: fiddle_head]
    #29634475 -

maybe a better word than futile is "more than likely subject to failure". i dont want  to think about learning under those conditions with those obstacles


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 3
    #29634493 -

Churpee Choozle said:
Carbshüvelling always flerbs my Flarkituten.

Missed parts of the convo, but I know for a fact that PF tek can be done with a pot and a heatsource, and I'd like to shoot in woodlovers. Can be started from PF, expanded ad infinitum in non-sterile settings and you can just create patches wherever you happen to pass by. And possibly harvest from those during a future visit to those places. Anyway if you have one succesful spawnrun you can pretty much just cult with clipped toenails and boogers after that.

I confess to being overly enthusiastic about finding freshwater and seashells on the same beach. Got carried away there like the nerd that I am.

Hidingplace for the day:



Gonna take a morning shower in the river Elbe. Maybe with some more coffee. You people are all nuts.




Looks like a good bush to hide in


--------------------
Yeah it's fun, but have you ever tried it high?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: fiddle_head] * 1
    #29634504 -

fiddle_head said:
maybe a better word than futile is "more than likely subject to failure". i dont want  to think about learning under those conditions with those obstacles



Why not?

Within my field, when I'm teaching people, I often use this inequality:

ADAPTED ≠ ADAPTABLE

Limitations often drive the kind of creativity that leads to genuinely novel solutions. If you've spent your entire life meditating in a quiet temple surrounded by incense smoke, your mental resilience is unlikely to match that of someone who meditates in the middle of a noisy city surrounded by car exhaust.

A good example is the overwhelming dominance of the Soviet Union over the United States in strength sports for several decades—especially throughout the 1970s and 1980s. American athletes had outstanding equipment and nutritional support, while Soviet athletes were developing genuinely innovative training protocols under constrained conditions.

It is precisely under certain constraints that adaptability can become antifragility, whereas mere adaptation can become maladaptation once taken outside the context to which it was adapted.

I'm not suggesting that this principle necessarily applies to mushroom cultivation; I'm simply defending this perspective.

Although the history of mycology is probably full of examples. PF Tek and the SAB, for instance, are genuinely innovative solutions that emerged from constrained conditions.

Hugs. :heart:


--------------------
"Little shark in da bathtub"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Belintaf] * 2
    #29634509 -

I don't disagree that constraints can drive innovation. PF Tek and the SAB are great examples of exactly that.

My point was narrower: if the goal is to *learn cultivation*, unnecessary constraints generally increase the number of variables you're fighting at once. For someone trying to build a reliable mental model of sterile technique, that usually means a higher probability of failure and a harder time diagnosing why.

There's a difference between developing a new technique because you understand the fundamentals and being forced to improvise before you've learned them.

Innovation is built on competence. Competence is usually built on reducing variables first.

Once you can produce clean, repeatable results under controlled conditions, *then* start removing conveniences and experimenting. At that point, constraints become useful because you have a baseline to compare against. Before that, they're mostly noise.

Within, my field, when im teaching people, like im teaching you now, that is what I tell them.


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Edited by fiddle_head (07/28/26 06:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: fiddle_head]
    #29634511 -

I don't think you're combative. I think your communication often comes across as passive-aggressive, and that gives people the impression you're reluctant to state your position directly. I've noticed the same pattern in the Pub, Cult, and a few other parts of the forum.

Whether that's your intent or not, it's how it reads to me. I think people would respond better if you were more direct and simply owned your position instead of circling around it.


--------------------
----<><><>----
⁂ tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors ⁂

⁂ guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict ⁂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1324 | 1325 | 1326 | 1327 | 1328 | 1329 | 1330 | 1331 | 1332 | 1333 | 1334 | 1335 | 1336 | 1337 | 1338 | 1339 | 1340 | 1341 | 1342 | 1343 | 1344 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Addicted to Cultivation????
( 1 2 all )
tahoe 3,195 34 12/14/08 10:53 PM
by The shroomy 1
* *DELETED* Cultivate 2,970 8 04/14/08 06:12 AM
by HerbBaker
* Newbie planning first cultivation. hX_ 775 6 05/31/08 04:48 PM
by Neobean
* Your Favorite Cultivation/Grow Logs and Journal posts? Maverick 687 2 08/19/08 04:50 AM
by ScavengerType
* Cultivation of 7 strains in pasteurized straw Lana 2,699 2 03/20/02 04:34 AM
by bagmandsl
* All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
dumbfounded1600 224,526 181 01/17/22 08:33 AM
by TheStallionMang
* Dedicated To Agar 'Mushroom Cultivation' AND Links/Grow Logs/Other
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dumbfounded1600 49,128 60 09/16/10 04:41 PM
by RogerRabbit
* A proposal to the cultivation community and the Admins/Mods geko 3,835 17 03/27/07 10:27 AM
by geko

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
462,447 topic views. 13 members, 158 guests and 227 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.044 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 18 queries.