Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | 1362 | 1363 | 1364 | 1365 | 1366 | 1367 | 1368 | 1369 | 1370 | 1371 | 1372 | 1373 | 1374 | 1375 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Phaethon]
    #29038538 -

Phaethon said:
cronicr said:
You might get away with no pour on these they may not be deep enough though.
I don't know how pouring takes more time than no pour though...you're still pouring either way once just before ones after lol



They do work for pre-pouring, no boiling over in my experience. I don't like the amount of condensation that method results in, and I don't mind pouring in sterile conditions, so I just pressure cook them empty.

But see https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28744852#28744852

Edit: CaptainPuffy, an immersion circulator (for sous vide) works really well for extending the time between PC (or reheating in a microwave) and pouring. You just set the water bath temperature (125-130 F) and let it sit in there as long as you want.



Mic drop


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LightShedder] * 7
    #29038646 -

Swab germ plate


Made some lme plates and gonna test out the new punch


Edit:  slap me and call me Suzy, it worked pretty damn well

Edited by fahtster (11/28/24 12:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29038675 -

Do you struggle with the slug sticking in the straw?
I have never personally never needed a poker to get the slug out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #29038678 -

I guess I didn’t try it without the plunger.. I just figured it would stick in there good enough to be annoying lol

Do you just wiggle it out?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29038679 -

No it shouldn't stick in the straw.

If it works for you then no need to change really but I find a good hot straw and a fast direct punch makes it simple.

I heat and punch and heat and punch until I'm happy with the amount of punches then I lift them out with a scalpel individually.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD] * 1
    #29038682 -

I see.. I twist straw tip slightly so the plug stays in the straw and carry it immediately to a new plate and use the plunger to release it onto the plate.  No scalpel which is the idea here.  I have a scalpel but this is for quickness.  I like your method too tho.. more options for what I can do when it may be necessary

I’m trying to contain myself :lol: I’m limiting my plate amount.. I started with 10 and immediately after pouring those I ordered 30 more lol. I wanted to order 200 but had to stop myself.  All that to say, your method as a constant might push me off the edge

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster] * 3
    #29038755 -

Oh my my. Look who’s working with agar.



--------------------

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿
TEAM SPREAD THE LOVE!
Smellyhobbit said:
Embarrassment and bashfulness are leeches on your ability to learn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29038769 -

fahtster said:
Swab germ plate


Made some lme plates and gonna test out the new punch


Edit:  slap me and call me Suzy, it worked pretty damn well




Where can I find one of those?  After attempting my first transfer using a scalpel yesterday, I either need one of those or massive amounts of practice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Banfir] * 1
    #29038788 -

He made it, you need practice not a tool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #29038920 -

DERRAYLD said:
No it shouldn't stick in the straw.

If it works for you then no need to change really but I find a good hot straw and a fast direct punch makes it simple.

I heat and punch and heat and punch until I'm happy with the amount of punches then I lift them out with a scalpel individually.



So no cooling before punching - lmao I swear I do everything the hard way first. I was getting a lot of them stuck....


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 1
    #29039051 -

Hi all!

Quick question, I've cloned a Natalensis fruit to water agar (7g / 500ml as shown here)

I've taken small samples from the stem and the cap, but while the stem sample seems to be coming along as expected, the cap only has a very thin halo around the tissue.

Here's the stem sample:


and here's the cap sample:


Any insight into why the cap sample is behaving like this, has it sunk inside the water agar? Is that white halo usable to transfer to LME agar, or should I just stick with the sample from the stem? Would it make any difference?

Thank you!


--------------------
Everything I've written above is pure fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #29039068 -

ThurmanMurman said:
DERRAYLD said:
No it shouldn't stick in the straw.

If it works for you then no need to change really but I find a good hot straw and a fast direct punch makes it simple.

I heat and punch and heat and punch until I'm happy with the amount of punches then I lift them out with a scalpel individually.



So no cooling before punching - lmao I swear I do everything the hard way first. I was getting a lot of them stuck....



Same. Leather punch or metal straw, I have always had trouble getting the plug out. So much that I'm pretty sure I caused contams by having to frig around with 2 tools in the SAB. So my scalpel game has gotten stronger. While the idea of practicing on a spare plate sounds great, I don't really have "spare" plates at this point, I struggle to keep enough on hand.

But I did manage to do this while swiping the last agar bits off a scalpel:



AGARMAN!!!!


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 1
    #29039094 -

First time, but a nice to why it's important to let the plates sit instead of using them right away.





Sometimes it just seems impossible to clean something up...









Also, curious to how long they'll be good to be used like this:





Sidenote:
I recommend these thicker plates, but will pour them a bit thinner next run.
They might seem clumsy at the beginning, but they make it easy to peak inside while they're still stacked and wrapped together.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle]
    #29039105 -

MycCycle said:
First time, but a nice to why it's important to let the plates sit instead of using them right away.





Sometimes it just seems impossible to clean something up...









Also, curious to how long they'll be good to be used like this:





Sidenote:
I recommend these thicker plates, but will pour them a bit thinner next run.
They might seem clumsy at the beginning, but they make it easy to peak inside while they're still stacked and wrapped together.



Are the last 2 cultures the result of the two plates where you made a mote around the central wedge? Is this basically the same as trenching to outrun bacteria? I'm just curious bc ive never seen that before.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #29039128 -

I found some holy Grails on Amazon Canada by searching for the brand name listed in the original post. Looks like they're going to take about a month to get to me

https://a.co/d/4TNGD2Z


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 1
    #29039129 -

ThurmanMurman said:
Are the last 2 cultures the result of the two plates where you made a mote around the central wedge? Is this basically the same as trenching to outrun bacteria? I'm just curious bc ive never seen that before.



I should have clarified that one:
The 2 cultures you refer to, is the same plate, picture taken from both sides.
This one is the result of the same concept that I'm displaying.

It is basically the same thing as trenching, yes.
However, I cannot possibly tell you whether it's effective, or whether I've just been lucky.

Cabin Sequestering is where you put a sterile glass slide on top of the transferred agar and cover the entire mote.
In still air at stable temps, I hypothesise that simple sequestering would be just as "possibly" effective.

What I do is cut out a piece before making the transfer.


The reason why it's not a foolproof solution, is that some contamination has the ability to piggyback with the mycelium. However, I believe that it gives the mycelium a little breathing room, so I'm playing around with the concept for now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 1
    #29039164 -

FINALLY got a decent looking plate! PE7 plin from a clean looking plate:




Transfer was done 2024-11-20. All the little spots of myc are from the plin rolling around and around and around until I decided to leave it in the SAB until it took hold. Now it's time for the experts to pick it apart and tell me to start over.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9]
    #29040013 -

Whats up agar fam -- could use some help.

I did two plates w/ a wedge that was graciously sent my way

Was in a rush, being lazy, etc....
The plates have heavy dispersed contamination




Can i salvage these genetics and cut out a sector (avoiding the contamination spots) and throw them on a new plate? any specific areas I could look for on these plates youd recommend?

Thanks in advance


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: longstrangetrip8] * 1
    #29040018 -

You can always take from the leading edge and into the growth of the wedge. That avoids picking up contam myc. Just a part of cleaning stuff up


--------------------
Mehhh



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Wall.E] * 7
    #29040099 -



--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | 1362 | 1363 | 1364 | 1365 | 1366 | 1367 | 1368 | 1369 | 1370 | 1371 | 1372 | 1373 | 1374 | 1375 | | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 72 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 78 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,392 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,010 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,704 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,677 topic views. 24 members, 154 guests and 147 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 18 queries.