Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | 2037 | 2038 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: The Tao]
    #28910295 -

The Tao said:
They are your cakes and you can do whatever you want with them. Shredding BRF cakes is best done after you have a supply of dried mushrooms and you can afford the potential results.
What advantage do you expect from shredding?




No advantage. Just fuck around and find out. Not really in it for the having a supply of shrooms thing. I already have more than I need. Just realistically into this as a hobby. Seeing what works, what doesn't. Why or why not. That sort of thing.

So in terms of doing it or not, if it seems like a road not worth traveling then I'll just fruit as normal.

Im most excited to try going to bulk with grain. Have an embarrassing amount of agar plates right now from LC, spore swabs, clones, and transfers. Going at this with the intent to succeed but the expectation of failure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910316 -



They look so different. But are they both ok?

Not great pictures. Maybe I should have waited to post til I'm home to get more.

Edited by StophJS (08/13/24 04:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910343 -

Stuntbum said:
The Tao said:
They are your cakes and you can do whatever you want with them. Shredding BRF cakes is best done after you have a supply of dried mushrooms and you can afford the potential results.
What advantage do you expect from shredding?




No advantage. Just fuck around and find out. Not really in it for the having a supply of shrooms thing. I already have more than I need. Just realistically into this as a hobby. Seeing what works, what doesn't. Why or why not. That sort of thing.

So in terms of doing it or not, if it seems like a road not worth traveling then I'll just fruit as normal.

Im most excited to try going to bulk with grain. Have an embarrassing amount of agar plates right now from LC, spore swabs, clones, and transfers. Going at this with the intent to succeed but the expectation of the failure.



If your cakes are inoculated with spores and you shred them and spawn them to bulk, any contamination present will infect your bulk substrate.  Spore prints are generated in open air therefore the chances of spores carrying invader spores is increased. 

This is why we prescribe to inoculate agar plates and make a few transfers until achieving a culture that you know is clean before spawning to a bulk substrate. This is why I suggested to shy away from spawning cakes to bulk unless they inculcated with a known live culture.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf] * 2
    #28910427 -

BRF cakes were never meant to be spawn, they're meant to be an "all in one" substrate you can fruit from. Spawn is spawn, substrate is substrate. The benefits don't overlap even with clean inoculum.

There are many benefits to AIO substrates, like colony integrity. Breaking up the colony when spawning defeats that purpose, along with the benefit of not requiring spawn. BRF makes sub standard spawn (especially when contaminated by ms solution), while cereal grain spawn makes for a sub standard fruiting substrate. Swapping roles, although possible, is not ideal.

The right tool for the right job.

(Not directly replying to you, Ham, just adding my 2 cents.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #28910436 -

I appreciate each of your comments for the added explanations. Had seen a couple people on here do it, may have been old. Glad I asked and was provided valuable information. Seems like theres no real reason or benefits to try it out, so thanks for saving me the time.

The LC I used has shown to have been clean best I could tell on agar.

To keep on the topic of quick questions though... apologies for the crappy photo that may not be clear enough, but does this attempt at cloning tissue look particularly bad?



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910455 -

Well here's the shoeboxes in question. I forgot to mark down the day I put them to fruiting, but it was probably like July 20th. Nearly 5 weeks later and that one fruit and one more pin in that tub that popped up yesterday is all I've gotten. The two with nothing are golden teachers, the other one is JMF. Idk I'm about done trying with 6qts lol. Maybe my spawn ratio wasn't good, idk, the mycoquart per tub might have been too much


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Edited by Buckdog (08/13/24 07:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog]
    #28910456 -

Looks like overlay in my opinion, though I'm not experienced enough to say for sure. But def no trich in them. I also did a kind of shitty job leveling them out


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog] * 1
    #28910457 -

Buckdog said:
Y'all think two mycoquarts is good enough for a 66qt pastywhite eazy dial? These damn 6qt shoeboxes just aren't working for me. I was having success with monos but I was using pre bought 3lb grain bags, one per tub. Now I'm making my own grain and idk how many grain jars I should use for one tub. Idk what I'm doing wrong with these 6qts, the smallest tub I've had good success with is a 12qt





This is my first 66qt mono, 2 mycoquarts spawn to 8 coir with 2 coir casing, beefy style.  About 700g wet.  Used home PC’d rye.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910479 -

Quote:
Stuntbum said:

Have an embarrassing amount of agar plates right now from LC, spore swabs, clones, and transfers



Hahaha I don't think you need to be embarrassed by the amount of agar plates, you think you have a lot of!?!?

It's like the saying goes for many things like investment portfolios, you never show off the $amount because it's like cocks, somebody will always come along, with a bigger one!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #28910481 -

I am literally thinking about how few petris dishes I have.
I do need more right now.
I am past 20.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: GenesisCorrupted] * 1
    #28910486 -

Question: so I've procured some nats and PE. I want this to be my next project after I finish fruiting the GT, B+, Burma and KSSS.

Nats grows pretty much same conditions as regular Cubes if I'm reading that topic correctly? And PE should be cased when spawning to bulk?


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28910516 -

Hell yeah I'll definitely try this out


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: QuantumZ00]
    #28910536 -

If you wanna avoid blobs and possibly have a better yield, then it's recommended to case PE. But I've done a couple monos and didn't case them, got a lot of blobs, but decent returns. Probably not that great for a monotub though, so I'll probably try casing next time. But I can be done with just a pseudocasing


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog]
    #28910544 -

How long will an agar dish hold in the fridge? I got an unexpected as fuck 600g second flush from my JMF cake after the underwhelming 40g first flush and don’t think I want much more of that strain, but I did clone it and it came out clean

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NotWimbo] * 1
    #28910546 -

I've heard several months, as long as it doesn't dry out


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog] * 2
    #28910552 -

Mine have lasted over 2 years no problem in the fridge


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #28910561 -

I just revived some 2-3 year old APE Reverted clone dishes from the fridge, took a little bit to show growth again but they're rocking now. Had a few other dishes from around that time that didn't wake up though.


--------------------
So anyway, uh...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NotWimbo] * 5
    #28910580 -

Time for my daily plug for cryovials :lol:

I've had better luck with this method than the fridge, and it doesn't take precious fridge space.

If you store plates in the fridge, be sure to put them in an insulated box, or you may wind up with frozen plates (a sure way to kill the mycelium) or pooling water from temperature swings.

Plates will last for months at room temperature, too - though you may have sporulating little fruits when you get back to them, and some species (looking at you, lion's mane :oldman:) will escape a wrapped plate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Phaethon] * 1
    #28910604 -

Thanks fellas, gonna put it in a lunchbox in the fridge. I have no idea what I want to grow next, but I know I wanna try something different. Maybe APEs, but I be microdosing nowadays n they might make that a lil tougher from what I read.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: NotWimbo] * 1
    #28910606 -

Maybe grow a gourmet.
I want to make a shittake log.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | 2037 | 2038 | | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,848 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,233 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,825 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,838 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,176 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,039 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,527 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,801 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,153,180 topic views. 13 members, 123 guests and 162 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.054 seconds spending 0.033 seconds on 16 queries.