Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | 2037 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28909951 -

hamloaf said:
Small fruits are generally related to small or dry substrates.  It is always possible you got bad genetics, but I would not discount moisture content of substrate as root cause of the issue.




Thank you for verifying. Sometimes I just need verification that Im troubleshooting properly. I prepped the sub on the dry side due to suspicion of bacterial spawn, and I may have overdone it even for that. Hopefully a good soak will give me a better 2nd flush. Appreciate ya!

Afterthought: Is adding an additional pseudo casing before the second flush something that is done nowadays or do you suppose that will cause me more problems than its worth? I just wonder how much water Ill be able to add with a soak, being that its already colonized.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Edited by ThurmanMurman (08/13/24 09:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 1
    #28909979 -

A dunk ought to suffice.  A good way to measure how much your substrate was hydrated from the dunk is to pick it up before dunking and gauge how much it weighs.  If it is light, it errs on the side of dehydration and visa-versa.  If you want to get technical; you could always weigh your substrate with a scale before and/or after the dunk. 

As far as adding another top layer of substrate materials for second flush, it could do more good than harm if you are confident enough with your substrate preparation.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers *DELETED* [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #28909980 -

Post deleted by Ben Phartin

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by Ben Phartin (08/13/24 10:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Ben Phartin] * 1
    #28909984 -

Marketplace you need 50 posts and 90 days registered iirc?


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: QuantumZ00]
    #28910015 -

So I'm using wheat for my spawn, but 1 in 15-20 from my supplier is cracked due to w/e processing they do.

After prepping the grains (Boiling) I do notice that the water is starchy. Ofc some of it is probs from normal burst grains, but some of it would be from those cracked grains as well.

Should I look for another supplier, just hand pick out the cracked grains or run them through regardless? And yeah, the other option is to rinse them off after the boil and let them dry slowly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28910016 -

hamloaf said:
A dunk ought to suffice.  A good way to measure how much your substrate was hydrated from the dunk is to pick it up before dunking and gauge how much it weighs.  If it is light, it errs on the side of dehydration and visa-versa.  If you want to get technical; you could always weigh your substrate with a scale before and/or after the dunk. 

As far as adding another top layer of substrate materials for second flush, it could do more good than harm if you are confident enough with your substrate preparation.



That's probably easier than my initial plan of using a known volume of water and then measuring what I end up pouring out after the soak. I bought a kitchen scale, so I might as well use it! Thanks Loaf!


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Mihini] * 1
    #28910031 -

Mihini said:
So I'm using wheat for my spawn, but 1 in 15-20 from my supplier is cracked due to w/e processing they do.

After prepping the grains (Boiling) I do notice that the water is starchy. Ofc some of it is probs from normal burst grains, but some of it would be from those cracked grains as well.

Should I look for another supplier, just hand pick out the cracked grains or run them through regardless? And yeah, the other option is to rinse them off after the boil and let them dry slowly.



Do not take that wheat anywhere near Nichrome.  Starchy water after the boil cycle is normal.  Some starch is expected to get leeched as a result of boiling the grain.

No need to look for a new supplier due to a few burst grains.  If grains are bursting then it is the preparation of them that is causing it.  A few burst kernels will not hurt anything.  Many burst kernels will cause them to clump together and be hard to break apart come time to shake which is lesser of an issue in spawn bags.  Something to keep in mind: mushroom mycelium likes starchy burst kernels as much as any contamination would.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28910036 -

Good to know, though, nichrome?

Edit: Name of a user here, nvrm :P

Edited by Mihini (08/13/24 10:48 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kunta Kente]
    #28910055 -

Quote:
Kunta Kente said: A cursory search resulted in 10 year old threads, just wondering if there was any newer consensus on rye prep in jars with pressure cooker



If you open the full search parameters you can really narrow down your search, I’d search for posts newer than 6 years and posted by a TC

Helps to only return relevant results


--------------------
𝕴𝖋 𝕴 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖘𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖋𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖇𝖞 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖚𝖕𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝕲𝖎𝖆𝖓𝖙𝖘
:drugnerd: TekDeck        Autist Tally :laugh:

"Mother Mycelium, I wandered in the darkness of unmarked plates and forgotten codes. Enlighten me with clarity and discipline, that every jar and dish shall bear its true name."

"Luminous Logos, I faltered in my shorthand faith. Grant me the diligence to record in full, and the foresight to recall every meaning with certainty."

-Father LewDoja

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Tri] * 1
    #28910058 -

This is how I Prep rye. 


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28910090 -

Is it still recommended to soak pf tek jars first after birthing if they are to be shredded and mixed with coir in bulk fashion?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum] * 1
    #28910100 -

Unless cakes are inoculated with live culture that is clean; I would shy away from shredding cakes and spawning them to bulk.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28910103 -

I can second that after spawning some sketch cakes to bulk :lol:


--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼 🄸🄷🄾🄿


New to cultivation or the shroomery?  Observe the hitchhiker's guide

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery



Smellyhobbit said:
"Wiping a needle with isopropyl after flame sterilization is like shitting after you wipe your ass."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nichrome]
    #28910122 -

I'll be making my own agar plates soon and I am wondering which malt extract is the best to use? Here in my country these 2 are the only types I can find. Are these good? And which is better to use? Non-diastatic or diastatic?





--------------------


Edited by Jrey16 (08/13/24 12:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Nichrome]
    #28910127 -

QQ:
I am going to try bags soon. How vital is an impulse sealer? If I accordion fold it into the PC can I then just use tape to keep it shut?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Imatryin] * 2
    #28910145 -

It is personal preference.  I prefer the accordion-style fold.  However, do not tape anything when using the accordion fold.  Instead, slide a tyvek wrist sleeve into the gussets before folding accordion style.  The return to atmospheric pressure after the sterilization cycle will create the seal, and the tyvek wrist sleeve will filter the air entering.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910172 -

When was it recommended to dunk cakes before shredding?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Jrey16]
    #28910181 -

Diastatic malt contains enzymes you don't need. Non-diastatic would be preferred, I think. The one you linked should be fine - the picture is too blurry to make out if they say anything about how light it is (Lovibond number), but even if it's fairly dark, it'll work fine, just less clear to the eye.

(Did we already talk about this a couple weeks ago?)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: The Tao]
    #28910206 -

The Tao said:
When was it recommended to dunk cakes before shredding?




I dont think it was, just wanted to be sure. I have a few that are fruiting fine, no signs of contamination and thought i'd try to bulk with a few of the others i havent birthed yet. Probably wont now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Stuntbum]
    #28910278 -

They are your cakes and you can do whatever you want with them. Shredding BRF cakes is best done after you have a supply of dried mushrooms and you can afford the potential results.
What advantage do you expect from shredding?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | 2037 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,848 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,233 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,825 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,840 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,176 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,039 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,528 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,801 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,154,861 topic views. 12 members, 119 guests and 189 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.074 seconds spending 0.048 seconds on 18 queries.